Handgun advice

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Handgun advice

Post by Fallguy »

I am looking to buy my first handgun. Just curious what other people on here have a handgun, and what you like or dislike about your particular one.

I am going to get something that I can use for both deer hunting as well as in the home as a defense weapon. I am also eventually going to get a conceal to carry permit.

I have a few ideas of what I want, but want to get some firsthand comments. Have at it boys! :D
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Handgun advice

Post by lyonch »

.50 cal Taurus :twisted: That should take care of all your needs :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

LOL geez lyonch you think that will be enough?! :P
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont know anthing about handguns but i do know that .50 cal taurus is on the market (from commercials) and she is large and in charge :lol: :lol: i know a few guys that carry handguns on them for random purposes but it seems like if you wanna use it for deer hunting that you will be going a bit heavier than what you would like for a self defense weapon at home. Also if you want one for the wife to shoot so she can defend herself if the time ever comes; we dont need to be hearing stories of how she tried to shoot the .50 cal taurus and it brokes her wrist :P
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch wrote:we dont need to be hearing stories of how she tried to shoot the .50 cal taurus and it brokes her wrist :P
I was hoping more along the lines of Police Academy when Tackleberry has that old women shoot his pistol and she goes flying about 10 feet back!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I know that the 45 acp in a semi - auto is ranked really high for home protection but don't know how it would do on a deer my brother knows the caliber inside and out i will run it by him.

I agree i think you need to pick what the primary use of the weapon will be and then make a decision those are two different aspects of the gun world that is going to be kind of hard to match up.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I bought a 1911 .45ACP for personal protection and carry along hunting in case any mountain lions get sneeky :) I personally don't think its enough for a deer gun. My brother-in-law has shot deer with his 44 mag but then thats not really a personal defense gun either. You will have to think about what you really want it for because it will be hard to find a nice carry gun that will be a deer killer. Just my thought
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yeah after talking to some people I think you guys might be right about a combo.

I was looking at a 45 ACP and I found one I like quite a bit. I need to do some more handling of it to see.

Maybe I ought to get the semi auto now in case something happens down the road with any law changes, and then later I can get a revolver. Remember we have a new president.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have a glock 23 in the bedroom. I do not use it much other than for the house. on the line I use a .22 mag Taurus.
Coyotes Forever
WAREAGLE
coyotehunter

Post by WAREAGLE »

THE TAURUS JUDGE YOU CAN SHOOT 45 COLT,45 LONG COLT AND 410 OUT OF THIS MY BUDDY JUST GOT ONE AND IT IS A FUN GUN TO SHOOT :mrgreen:
SGT. KYLE
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well I got a nice compact 9 mm from my father in law for an early Christmas present. It will make a nice conceal weapon.

And I have a Springfield XD 45 on layaway. That should make a good home pistol.

I will have to think about a hunting revolver down the road. One gun at a time! :D
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

The 9mm will be great for concealed carry and home defense.Got one of those and a 380 auto for the wife as well.Actually have 5 ranging from 22s to 44 mags.44mag is the only one I have I'd use for deer.The 44 fired in the house will shock an intruder to death and about blind the one shooting it in the dark. :shock:
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Wow Fallguy :shock: You need one to carry, one for the home and one to hunt with :? Is the mob after you little buddy? You could use the 9mm for carry and home then just buy a 44 or magnum hadgun for hunting. Just a thought. Hope your not in trouble :wink:
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Daryl wrote:Wow Fallguy :shock: You need one to carry, one for the home and one to hunt with :? Is the mob after you little buddy? You could use the 9mm for carry and home then just buy a 44 or magnum hadgun for hunting. Just a thought. Hope your not in trouble :wink:
Well I had that Spingfield XD 45 Auto on layaway before I got that 9 mm gift. So that got me thinking if I should do things different. I wonder if it is possible to change my layaway over to a different gun? In that case get that XD 45 transfered over to something that could take deer. Any ideas Daryl?

Nope...no trouble here. That's the point I guess. :lol:
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Just checking on you :wink: Hey you can have as many guns as you want to have. I am sure you could change the lawaway to whatever you want. A good deer revolver would be a 44 Mag I personally like the Rugar. Has enough energy and manageable recoil. The 500 S&W would be good to but then you have a much higher cost not just gun but ammo to. You could also look at a T/C Contender or Encore then when you wanted a different caliber you just have to buy the barrel. Just a thought or you could keep the one you have on lawaway and when you can do it get another one. The choice is your. Hope I helped.