Calling trip west

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Calling trip west

Post by Tim Anderson »

I made a trip out to Randy Roede's for a contest and to do some serious coyote hunting..
The wind blew hard in my area the day of contest so there is'nt much to tell about it other than i hung out with a great bunch of guys..
Over the week-end a storm blew in with temps in the -15 so not much calling was done till Monday after noon when the winds died down. The temps stayed below 0 for most of the trip but there was very little wind.
I called around areas that Randy Roede and me did some locateing in prior to the contest. We had over 30 coyotes located, just needed the weather to co-operate.
I saw around 30 coyotes dureing my hunt and called in and killed 6, i had a few doubles and thriples come in and i took the easey ones first and also messed up on a few shots. Closest coyote was 20 yds and farthest was around 300 yds. Two where killed with the 22-250 ackley and the rest with my 17 Pred.
Dispite the low temps it was a good hunt and i also got to hang out with Randy R. for a bit so who's to complain.. I'll be going back sometime after Christmas to finish where i left off..
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Calling trip west

Post by Dcoy »

Good going.Sounds like a great time!Sounds like good results as well-especially considering the weather!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Good ratio saw 30 killed 6

I'm at saw 60 killed 3.....

Great photos !
Norm
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Before i started locateing my ratio was one coyote for every 6-10 stands , on this trip it was 1 call in out of 3 stands. My kill rato could of been higher but i messed up on alot of stands, either i shot to soon, could'nt hit what i was aiming at,and so on..
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Tim, It was good talking to you and I am glad you got some coyotes. The weather wasn't that nice for calling.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It was nice to see you again Jerry and thanks for the decals, i know exactly where i'm going to put them..
Yep that was some tough weather tobe calling in, but i was'nt about to turn tail and run home..LOL
Randy Roede said it would be a good time to go after them once the wind died down and Randy was right.. Due to the cold weather i only ventured about 1-200 yds from my truck and was'nt as badd as i thought it wouldbe..
I'll be back out sometime after christmas, take care....
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I went out one day in the afternoon South of town and Pat got one. The wind went down just before dark and we got one in. They have the video contest going on today I think. Should be interesting. The wind is blowing really bad , and I'm glad I'm not out there. By Fri. hunting should be really good. I am going out West after Christmas and put my cat stuff out. Looking forward to it.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Here is a short vidio;
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Very cool Tim!!!
Very cold-been doing it for a couple weeks myself.Minus 9 now and heading down fast.Tough.
Good going and thanks for the clip.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Nice video Tim. You do a lot better job than me. Do you have your camera on a tri-pod. It is pretty steady. Nice job.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I never got it mounted for the trip so i just use the truck window mount.. I have to get a ring mount that fits on a 30mm scope..