Scoping

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

Scoping

Post by Dcoy »

Been messing with scope ideas and plans for weeks.Power,adjustable objective-side or front,reticle,field of view and on and on.My god has this arena changed!Many new companies,tooooo many options,too many 'experts',too damn complicated.Obviously I'm old school but what the heck power are you guys hunting with most of the time?I used to 'walk'with about 6 power,now I use about 8.On stand,most of the time I turn to 10.Are you guys with 14,16,24 or ??? using that power when hunting?
Interestingly enough,in my hours of 'research',I came on an article about sniper scopes in use around the world.I know what our troops use(mixed bag)but generally I was very surprised.Other than a standard 14 power used by Russians,most used about 6 power.(quite a few countries appeared to use Zeiss 1.5 to 6s.)If true,very surprising.
All comments welcome.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Scoping

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use a fixed 10x power Super Sniper scope and a few loopys with 4-14x and 6.5-20x with 30mm tubes with side focus.. For calling i use the 10X setting and for longer shots i go to full power..
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

When it comes to scopes, buy the best glass that you possibly can. That's the most important thing. On my coyote rig I shoot a 4.5-14 x 50 Leupold Mark 4. If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy a NF. I would get a scope that you feel comfortable with. Side focus is a bonus if you can get it. Illuminated reticle is also a bonus for twilight and dusk shots. 30mm or larger tube is a bonus. Like you said everyone is an expert, so it's up to you to try out a few at your local shop and just see what you like. You're the one that's going to be looking through it. There are a few scope makers out there that won't break the bank and are just as clear as Leupold too.

The USMC is using the Unertl and leupolds, the last time i talked with a buddy.

What are you using now? If you don't mind me asking.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

All are 3.5s to 10 Leopolds now.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

so what were you leaning towards? Brand and Magnification?

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

maybe 4-14 Leopold with either Varmint reticle or mil dot.Or Burris Black Diamond 4-16 with ballistic mil dot.Or...????Heck I've gone back and forth on half a dozen.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

both are good scopes, but I'd steer you more towards the Leupold, I've talked with a few friend that had some issues with the Black Diamond. The black Diamond was a scope that I looked at pretty hard when I was looking at scopes.

I think you'd like either of the magnifications that you mentioned, the 4-14 is good as well as the 4-16.

As far as Varmint reticle vs mildot, there are a few advantages in the mildot. You'll end up with a lot more clutter in your scope, but you'll have more hold points and the ability to range, which you probably already know. They're both good reticles. I have the TMR in my scope, and if you don't use it for ranging, or for leads and holdovers, then go with the varmint, it's a lot less clutter when it comes down to quick shots, and dusk/dawn shots.

xdeano
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Thanks Xdeano!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I've been shooting all my yotes at 6 power just the plain old cross hairs
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tbush wrote:I've been shooting all my yotes at 6 power just the plain old cross hairs

Your old school Terry!!!! Its tough teaching old dogs new tricks :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"