Dream Furshed

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Dream Furshed

Post by lyonch »

Well i will be building a house next summer and my 3rd stall garage will be my furshed. I would like to get info from everyone on how they would set it up. The gargage will have infloor heat with an exhaust system, and a trench floor drain. Water will be available where i like. The third stall is 30 feet deep and 12 feet wide. I prefer to keep the plumbing on the inside wall. For reference north is down in the picture. I will also be making a skinning maching that operates off of a power winch with a foot pedal. I have the freezer, washing machine, and all the tools necessary to do it but would like where the location of it should be.

Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Dream Furshed

Post by Dcoy »

Sounds great.Keep the vents to the house closed if you want to stay married. :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Keep the washing machine and a sink in the corners. Put a bench on one end of room and there you can mount youre winch for skinning. Try to keep the skinning area in center of room and have 2-3 lites hanging above.
The skinning gambrel will have to hang about two coyote lengths from winch. Save one wall for hanging stretchers and maybe mounting a fleshing beam..
I'll post some pic's of my fur shed in a little while..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Dcoy wrote:Sounds great.Keep the vents to the house closed if you want to stay married. :D

LOL!! There is no direct vent to the house. You can see in the upper left corner is my stairs that goes down to a storage room in the basement for my gear. The door on the left goes into the other 2 stall garage.

I had planned on putting the skinning part right over or next to the floor drain. I was thinking of setting it up as a starter bench to open critters up and brush burs out. Then move them to skinning gambrel. Then they can either go in the washer or skip that and go to the fleshing beam. After that i would have a clean bench to put animals on the stretchers and right after that i would put them on the hangers.

TA i would really like to see how yours is set up. I have lots of room so i can add a thing or two if need be. All the fur sheds i have seen so far consist of a few fleshing beams and lots of hooks and tables. I plan on sealing the concrete and i feel that the trench drain will be a huge asset in clean up :D I was also going to put some type of glassboard where the fleshing beams are attached to the wall.
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Here are a few pic's, i'll get some better ones tommorrow.. I don't use a fleshing beam so you won't see one in pic's, what needs tobe fleshed i do while skinning or after hide is on stretcher.

A pic of my helper and some coyotes;;
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Hey Ta that winch deal looks familar!!!!!
Randy Roede
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

So TA you use a hand winch then for your skinning set up? My dad has a boat winch that he doesn't use at all and it works so i was thinkint about rigging that up with a foot pedal. I sure hope that when i get this set up that i do it right and it eliminates time in the shed and makes more time for the field :wink:
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

LOL Randy.. The winch deal i got from Randy when i was out hunting, it does save alot of time when skinning them cold.. I have an electric winch also, but it requires more to get it to work and the down side is you can't feel the tension like you can with the hand crank.. Don't want to over do it or you can have two pieces laying on the floor. Right Randy. :mrgreen:
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Hey TA you should have seen us one time skinning cold coyotes with a golf ball, some rope, and a Diesel pickup :shock: . A couple went good and a couple went not so good. We could'nt feel the tension either with that 7200lb truck :lol:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Lyonch this dream house is in western ND right :wink:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I sure wish it was!!! I hate to say it but it will be nessled unwantingly in Central Minnesota :cry: :cry: Maybe after a few years of making some money i will have to work on moving my a$$ out to western north dakota to harass your coyotes for you daryl :wink:
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Come on out. There all yours. I will show you some good spots and introduce you to some people then you can roll.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

NICE....Make sure you put a few beams up in the rafters so you can hang deer etc.. and over time all the pulling of fur can be tough on just the rafters..and dairy board if the funds are there?
a proud member of the "IF" team
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

My uncle has his own butcher shop and he has two skinning motors set up in there to skin deer and beef.

What he has is some kind of metal hook or rebar put right into the concrete in his trench drain. Not sure about the size or length. Then his motor is right above that on the ceiling (maybe 15 feet up?). For deer for example we lower the cable on the winch (he has a hand control button thing) and then hook the deer up and then raise it up. Then he uses those hide grabber clamps to grasp the hide. Those clamps are hooked into the metal I mentioned that is embedded in the concrete. Start the winch up and skin the deer or beef or whatnot.

Not sure if this is kind of what you envisioning. I may have some pictures of part of the setup from taking pictures of our deer in the shop. I will look and see.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Lyonch

Here are two pictures showing at least some of the process. In the other picture before the rails with the carcasses you can see another part of the one lift.

If you see those two hoses in the one picture the lower hose is actually a water hose but the higher one with the red end is the hand control for his Milwaukee hoist.

I will be back at his shop for the Bremen tourney in early February. If you still need any ideas or whatever I can take some pictures of his system and send you them.

I had some pictures from last deer season too that show it better but I have to track those down. I'll look.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team