17 hmr or not

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

sniper hashman

17 hmr or not

Post by sniper hashman »

I AM NEW TO THIS SPORT AND I HAVE BEEN ON LINE FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS DEBATING WHAT GUN TO PURCHASE I INDED UP GETTING THE SAVAGE 9317 WITH THUMBHOLE.DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS GUN? WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST GRAIN FOR IT?ALSO I LIVE IN OHIO ANYBODY GIVE ME A IDEA WHERE TO GO.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLEY APPREIATED.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: 17 hmr or not

Post by Coyotehunter »

what caliber is the gun? 17 HMR? what are you hunting with it?
Coyotes Forever
sniper hashman

Post by sniper hashman »

its a 17 hmr is it enough for coyote?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

there will be alot of wounded dogs running oround if you plan on using this gun. can it kill a yote,? SURE but dont count on it . i have one and shoot it alot. jackrabbits are max size for this gun
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

not a coyote gun
Coyotes Forever
sniper hashman

Post by sniper hashman »

ok i get it aint a good gun for yotes but not one comment about what gun would ?I got a 7 mm mag is that a good gun for them? i think a little over kill ha ha give me some ideas.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Any gun that is a .22 caliber centerfire up through a .243 is a good gun for coyotes in my opinion!! there are many great calibers out there that will kill a coyote, but it seems as though there are a few that are liked by many. Some of the most common calibers i see used are (in no particular order) .223, .22-250, and .243. There are other calibers that are great as well but these three i would say would be your most common caliber. As it goes with any gun, proper shot placement still needs to be made with these calibers to kill them in there tracks. A 7mm is a little large but if all your doing is shooting them just to shoot them and want nothing with the furs then i say go ahead and use it. If you get hooked as im sure you will then move to a more common caliber. this is just my 2 cents.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

NOT A COYOTE GUN
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Too light imo. Plus people are probably tempted to shoot out farther than the gun's lethal range because it'll hit the paper right.

22 mag maybe, but that's twice the weight.