Wolves

The Gray Wolf (Canis Lupus) is the most widely distributed large carnivore in the northern hemisphere.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Wolves

Post by lyonch »

Here is a write up from the Idaho's Game and Fish Website:

"The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has proposed delisting gray wolves in Idaho and Montana, but not Wyoming, in a ruling that may take effect in late February.

Officials expect the proposed ruling to be published in the Federal Register January 27. It would take effect 30 days after that. But the new Obama administration could delay the publishing or the effective date.

When delisting takes effect, Idaho would again take over managing wolves under state law adopted in 2008 and under a wolf population management plan also adopted last year.

"Our plan is to manage wolves as we do other big game," Fish and Game Director Cal Groen said. "Once wolves are removed from the endangered species list, Idaho would actively manage the population and not let them return to the list and federal control."

Fish and Game would apply the same professional wildlife management practices to wolves as it has applied to all big game species, which all have recovered from low populations during the early 1900s, he said.

Wolves were all but extirpated by the 1930s in Idaho. They were declared endangered in 1974, and a federal recovery effort brought 35 wolves to central Idaho in 1995 and 1996. Wolf population numbers have grown steadily since then.

Fish and Game has embraced the recovery efforts and has applied its expertise in big game management to gray wolves. Based on the Legislature's 2002 Wolf Conservation Plan, Fish and Game biologists developed a wolf population management plan, adopted by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission in March 2008.

For information contact Fish and Game Deputy Director Jim Unsworth at 208-334-3771. The Fish and U.S. Wildlife Service delisting documents are available at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wildlife/wolves/.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Wolves

Post by Dcoy »

Here's an a new development closer to home for us NoDak;SoDak and Mn boys.Just walked in the door from NoDak and this was here.

SD GFP NEWS FOR 1-29-09

Release Contact: Ken Dulik, 605-885-6403; Sharon Rose, 303-236-4580

Wolf Shot In Roberts County, South Dakota

The illegal killing of a wolf in northeastern South Dakota brings a reminder from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Game, Fish and Parks Department that wolves are protected by federal and state law.

On January 25, 2009, a Wolf was shot and killed by a coyote hunter in Roberts County. The wolf was a female and weighed approximately 70 pounds. The female wolf was traveling with a second and larger animal which is also likely a wolf. In addition to that wolf, an individual reported seeing two more animals which are also likely wolves in the area later that same day.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks Department want to remind individuals that wolves are protected under the Endangered Species Act and state law, and it is illegal to kill them.

Individuals planning on hunting coyotes in north-eastern South Dakota, particularly in Northern Roberts County, must use extreme caution before shooting any coyotes to ensure that the animal is definitely a coyote and not a wolf.

Anyone seeing the illegal taking of a wolf may contact Special Agent Ken Dulik, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 605/885-6403 or the GFP TIPs Hotline at 1-888 OVERBAG. Individuals in the Roberts County area may also contact Conservation Officer Dean Shultz at 605/698-3852.

--GFP--
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I would suggest that SD get a hold of whats going on or they will have a mess on their hands in no time.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Not so easy PG as the feds have control of the wolf management plans and your not going to get them to change there minds at this point! SD is listed as a non wolf recovery area but until things change eslewhere first SD will have to follow the old wolf management plan and even the new details are such that even if delisted in the lower 48 only Eastern half of both ND and SD will have more control on wolves by the general public, the west as it is now will still be under the orginal wolf management plan, meaning only ADC in both states will have the right to kill depredating wolves West of the Misssuori and only 1 incedental take per year!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ya i know its not that easy dealing with it out here right now. The reason i said it will turn into a mess is if they don't get going on it they won't have the right to control them until they get a strong hold and strong population and then the dollars and time taking care of the offending animals will add up in a hurry. I would start pushing for state control now and hope that the wolves don't get established anywhere real strong and start taking calves oh there will be one hell of and uprising as there was in the western states when the wolves starting causing trouble and they weren't just "a few" anymore.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Amen Prairie Ghost.
As elsewhere,some will vanish.Will be a bit tougher to 'establish'here but who knows.
There is no doubt they are here though.