Range Finders

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

crtrgtr223
coyotehunter

Range Finders

Post by crtrgtr223 »

I use a Bushnell Legend Rangefinder with good results most of the time, but when I
could really use it,coyote hung up 380-440 yrds. ten below zero, it gives all kind of
different readings. It works great 25 deg. and above but when the mercury drops to good calling temps, it sucks.
I have tried keeping it in an inside pocket,changing batterries more often,but that doesn't help much in the "subartic" temps.
Just wondering if anyone else has these problems, or has found a better rangefinder
that works in the cold?
P.S. Great site, nice to not see all the mindless bickering and alot of different, but
good opinions.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Glad you like the site. Great to have you an board. I have been using the Leica 1200 for awhile now and have had no problems at all. regardless of the temp. I have owned a Bushnell in the past and was not happy at all with the performance.
crtrgtr223
coyotehunter

Post by crtrgtr223 »

Thanks for the info Jamie, guess I should've learned by now, you get what you pay for. I learned the hard way on rifles and optics, why not rangefinders too? Anyone have any comments, good or bad, on other brands of rangefinders?
Preferably ones that work in cold weather!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

My first range finder was a Bushnell and I sure didn't like it. I bought a leica 1200 and got nothing but good to say about it. You can punch er in and you have instant readout. Another nice feature is continual read-out. A little spendy but well worth it. It fits nicely in your coat pocket too. I haven't noticed any change in its performance in cold weather. Very happy with it.
crtrgtr223
coyotehunter

Post by crtrgtr223 »

Thanks for the info Jerry. I was thinking about trying a Leupold, but with the voting
at two ta zero, I think I might have to seriously consider trying the Leica.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have recently have had a chance to use the Leupold range finder. very compact and has a built in compensator for angle. I have not used it enough to see how it compares to the lieca for target aquisition at different distances and how well it does in the sunlight. I also got ahold of a pouch from cabelas that hold the range finder at your hip, it has a strap that goes over your should and a clip that attaches to your belt loop. the range finder is attached to a cord that slides up and down the shoulder strap and goes back into the pouch when your not useing it. there is also a cover tht goes over the range finder that cover it up when not in use. pretty slick, and is right there when you need it. I have left mine at a few stands over the years and I believe this may help.
crtrgtr223
coyotehunter

Post by crtrgtr223 »

Glad to know I am not the only one that had to backtrack to my last stand to retrieve
my rangefinder,caller, you name it, just never forgot my rifle,,, yet!
Jamie I would be intrested to know how the Leupold works when the cold weather hits,
they told me it was only rated to twenty degrees above zero. But I do like Leupold!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have got the same Leupold that jamie has and have been happy with it so far. the only thing that i have seen that was a down fall was looking into the setting sun was real hard to get a reading but that is to be expected.

Jamie haven't tried the pouch yet but after hearing you write about it i will give it a try.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

well, I finally read the owners manual and found that the Leupold also gives you the temp., and the option to set it for True Ballistic Range, Hold Over or MOA for several different calibers. Also, a setting for a bow and arrow.
Dan
coyotehunter

Re: Range Finders

Post by Dan »

I have several leupold scopes and binoculars But I will have to say if your going to buy a new range finder you cant go wrong with the Lieca 1200 it is a great tool instant feed back and is as clear as you will find. My buddy bought a new Leupold range finder sent it back for a Lieca .
Last edited by Dan on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

Go Leica, arguably the best range finder on the market. I've got an older LFR900 and would't trade it for anything else. Also woks better than the others in low light as it has the bright red LED readings. I've actually have made low reflective object readings out to 1022 yds. :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Dan wrote:I have several leupold scopes and binoculars But I will have to say if your going to buy a new range finder you can go wrong with the Lieca 1200 it is a great tool instant feed back and is as clear as you will find. My buddy bought a new Leupold range finder sent it back for a Lieca .
I have both and the Lieca is just a better product.
Coyotes Forever
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

I agree, Leupy is new to the range finder game, a little more R&D and they will improve their versions quite a bit I think. Love their scopes though. One thing is for sure though, Leupy will never have the glass that Leica has. I wish they would get back into the scope market.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I agree, I own a bunch of their scopes, range finder, spotting scope and brag them up to everyone but the lieca is just got it going on with the rangefinder.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For those who have the leupold range finders.. What models do you have???
I just ordered one today, i wanted the RXB model but they where out of stock so i bought the RX-IV..