22 mag bullets

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

sniper81
coyotehunter

22 mag bullets

Post by sniper81 »

i know this topic has been ran into the ground but i havent got a straight answer yet i got a 22 mag about 800rnds of tmj i know they are not the ideal round so i was looking on cci web site came across some tnt hp was wondering if any one has used these for coyotes and what other types of ammo have u used with success any info would be great
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: 22 mag bullets

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have a 22 Auto mag. that i use the winchester ammo in. The bullet is a H.P. and looks simular to the failsafe bullet made for larger cal.'s. I don't use mine on coyotes but i do use it on raccoons and fox..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would have to think from what I have seen of the CCI bullets that they would have one that would fit the bill. I have shot a few coyotes with mine. I think out to 125 yards and some tracking you can get it done. I love my Rem. 597 in 22mag and shoot CCI HP bullets. Great on fox and coon like TA says. I have shot prairie dogs out past 200 yards with mine. You kind of have to lob it in there but it does work. I watched a show last week on shooting USA that did a program on CCI bullets for .22 and I was really impressed.
Coyotes Forever
Mountainman
coyotehunter

Post by Mountainman »

I use both CCI Maxi-mag HP's, and Hornnady V-max. I have shot gophers around the 125 to 150 yard mark. Both do a good job. I have three coyotes with the Hornnady rounds from 90 yards out to 120. The 90 yard yote had an exit hole large enough to put my hand through, although I think that the bullet had to hit a rib as the other two just had two holes. Also the last two I hit their hearts and wasn't much left. I have the rifle sighted in at 90 yards and hold a one inch, 8 shot group off a bench. My rifle is a Marlin with a 3X9 Bushnell scope.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

my marlin bolt shoots winchester jacketed h/ps the best. havn't shoot mant coyotes but quite a few fox and jacks and they perform very well.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have shot praire dogs out to 200 yards, my furthest was 213 yards. I beleive I was using the 40 gr. CCI HP's. I love my .22 mag. rem. 597
Coyotes Forever
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

I get the best groups with Rem 33gr accutip. I've had them hit as good as 3/16" at 75yds (no shit), 1/4" at 100 yds with no wind. I bought a Cooper classic and noticed that's what they used for the factory firing. I tried other ammo too but came back to the Rem for that particular gun. Prices are going crazy, though.