October 4th Foursome!!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

October 4th Foursome!!

Post by Optimax90 »

Well the morning started with the first stand a bust :? but on the walk in I heard a couple howling across the road. So after the first stand, I back out and hiked out across the road about 1/2 mile, and two minutes into the stand I see him coming from down wind :( ( what little wind there was) So as soon as he came up over the hill @ 175yrds I downed him :D Picked the call back up and started calling, 5 minutes later I see a coyote quartering from left to right, from about the same place as the first one. So I woooffed him, with nothing stopping him I banged him @ 215yrd (leica after the shot) :D Picked the call back up and three minutes later I see one about 1/2 mile away leaving in a quick manner, figured that this was it, two was a great start anyway :D I go over to pick the first one up and a pool of blood and a trail to where the second one lays, dumb me shot the same coyote twice :lol: :oops:
Second stand produced nothing but alot of tracks and a good idea that there are alot in this area, with the wind blowing light north to south, I walked about a mile north. Pick a darker spot on the side of a hill and started my stand, 3/4 of the way though my stand I hear grouse flush in the distance, I glass the grouse, and on the top of the hill is a coyote, he starts down the hill, then another, and another, and another and yet one more, five coyotes in all :D :twisted: :D They go into a small washout, I'm looking all over, and then there they are :o 250 yrds. Four of them sat down and one was fixed on me :oops:. Then all at once they came :twisted:, down the next small washout out of sight, possitioned my rifle and shotgun just in time, they came up and ran right to me, first one went down at under 20 feet with "dead coyote" the shell jambed and I grabbed the rifle, coyotes running everywhere, I picked one out and fired twice before he got into the first drywash, when he came up he was hauling ass, next shot conected @ 250 :D :lol: :D First Shotgun/rifle double :D

Next two stands I bumped singles on the way in and backed out and left them for the next time. The next stand was on a huge hill overlooking a large valley :) I started the calling and about 10 minutes into the stand, I started back up another set, just as I started a coyote let out a howl that scared the crap out of me :o :shock: He was 150yrds (leicea again after the shot) right below me, he started barking at me so I swung the rifle and put him down with 55 grain V-MAX :D :D

Ended up making two more stands that afternoon and bumped one more on the way in, the good thing is I got those spots on My "to do list" :lol: Either the coyotes were just responding well yesterday or I'm getting better :wink: All the calls were made with a Sceery Jackrabbit distress.
october 4th four!.jpg
october 4th four!.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: October 4th Foursome!!

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good job, great pic and Great post. Fill in the gaps, yoy, adults, male,female ect ect????
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Wow,nice going!Almost enough to make me start hunting them already.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

PG; The double was pups, :wink: But it still counts as two :lol: :lol:
The one on the right was a big male, 36lb. (after bleeding all day in the truck.) He is the one that got up and took off running again on me :)
The other one was a female, good sized. Never got a weight on the other ones. I got the bug now boy... Its raining today, but that is all I can think about, getting back after it!! :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post and pics!!! As brad mentioned fill in the gaps :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Maybe I can pay Coyotehunter and he can disable your smilee button !!!

Jus hackin on ya Bunghole !!

Still good job and wish I could have been there !

Norm
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

"Hey Billy, rummer is it you killed a man"

"Ya Billy, what you do that for? "

"Cause he was hackin on me!" 8)

Hey man; sorry to rub it in but, got another three stands in tonight :)
Came up empty but it was my own fault, (no shots) need to sit a little longer a wait them out :oops:
They started howling about 30minutes before dark and one was fairly close, in the next valley over. We bark and howled back and forth for a good 10 minutes. Finally I got up to repostion my self, and as I was coming over the hill so was he :( Jigg was up and he took off,) decided not to shoot, backed out and going back another day :?
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Tell the story how you pulled the PETER PAN down the hill and F'ed up your Nikon, come on make it funny !!!

Sorry man could't hold back,

No pics from Martisha yet give him hell for me !