DustyC trapping 09

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: DustyC trapping 09

Post by xdeano »

I really like the brindles. I'm dog sitting one for a coworker right now, they look really bad ass!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Heres some pics of an old male I called in yesterday around noon. The Fremont county bounty opened up over the weekend, so its time to hit em hard and make some money.
This one was pretty slow to come in. He got up on the hill I was parked behind and saw the truck before I even new he was there. He took off at a trot and came down the hill 275 yards out. I tried calling him back but that didn't work so I had the old three legged bird dog start barking to stop him. I touched her off and the coyote dropped. :D
It was a pretty fun time. 1 stand, 1 dead dog.
older male.jpg
His teeth were really starting to wear.
bad dentistry.jpg
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

looks like a big dog to boot :D Great job DustyC!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Thanks Chris. I still have a little lin out just so I can keep my dog on coyotes all summer. Here are some pics of a young female I caught yesterday.
sage.jpg
big hole set.jpg
sage.jpg
The last pic is of one of my grandpas old hudson bays he used to use. Still working and strong.
"God hates a coward"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dusty is the old hudson bay trap, just an older version of a bridger? When I first looked at it I thought it was a #2 bridger.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Do you have that 2 coiled or 4?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Keeping after it!! Nice to see
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Levi, its just an older brand. It has lower levers than a bridger but still holds well. 1Shooter, its 4 coiled. I don't set atrap anymore if its not full modifird. I think I sent you one of these in the box of traps I gave you.
Thanks PG. I'm supposed to go calling with Dave again pretty soon. I really can't wait to get my dog out with his again.
"God hates a coward"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Didn't want to waste a new post so I'll just start the 10-11 season right here.
Went out at 12am to start the bobcat season last night. Put in alot of sets between then and now. hope to be able to get out again today and do it again. I got a late start as ususal on the coyootes this year but hope to make up for it with some more equipment and some new country. I will be running a little over 100 traps, 300 snares and about 75 m-44's this year.
I didn't get to do much summer work this year becaus I was a freakin jack-ass and took in way to many cows to have any extra time. I am going to change that next summer and hope to kill 200 coyotes next year. That was this years goal but with only 34 dead on the year I am way behind the 8 ball on this one. :( My two new pups are doing great and I can't wait to see how they do this next year. Th e male I got fron California is Striker and Tigre bred. The female came from Mel down in Coyotehunters country and has the personality and attention span of a 16 year old girl turned loose at the mall for the first time but really has a good nose and ball mouth.
I'll quit rambling and post the proof as they become available.
Good luck to all on there endeavors and I hope to meet a bunch of ya' at the Classic this year.

P.S. Hey BNB, I was just wondering if I could borrow your rifle the evening before the first morning of the classic? :shock: I just wanted to help ya and fine tune your scope a little!!!! :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
"God hates a coward"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

DustyC wrote:

P.S. Hey BNB, I was just wondering if I could borrow your rifle the evening before the first morning of the classic? :shock: I just wanted to help ya and fine tune your scope a little!!!! :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock: ! NO. :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

LOLOL!!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Heres the total off the second check on my line. The first check I had 3 dogs and this check I had 5.I haven't had time to get the whole line up and running yet but I do have about 1/4 of it out right now. I have heard that the b-cats people were catching as of last week are still looking a little rough. I hope to go after em' hard here in a couple weeks.
The weather in my parts has sucked (or should I say blown) for about 2 weeks straight with the win chill at -37 a few days. All that means is that I haven't been able to go calling all fall and winter so far. I hope the weather changes pretty damn quick.
5 total.jpg
Sorry about the pics. they kinda suck. :( You can't hardly see it but they blur on the upper left is my cur female I got from Mel.
snare double.jpg
This is a double I got out of a set of 6 snares. A good location with alot of sign. Both of these are this years pups.
snare single.jpg
This one is an older male that was caught in one of those spots that was perfect to cover with just 3 snares but still alot of sign. One of the others was snared in another location and the big dog on top was caught in a flagged walk-through cat set. The trapped coyote taght me a valuable lesson about using grapple type drags. Here is a lesson learned. I was walking up to the location where I have a few traps and snares set. I thought I could hear the chains jinglin' so I figured I had something. I walked up the draw and found the coyote that I had snared. I removed him from the set and reset another snare and I thought I could hear the chain jinglin further away. I figured he had got the hook loose and would hang up again. I walked up to the set and sure enough it was a big coyote that I had caught. I looke down at the base of the traa and then my heart sank. :shock: :shock: :shock: Laying there was my drag with the attachment ring seperated and no trap attached. All I had with me for dogs was my new pups so I let them take off on the trail. They didn't go to fast but they were able to keep me pointed in the right direction when he would go over rocks. About 3/4 of a mile later I heard the chain and saw the coyote going over the next hill about 100 yards away with my trap and chain in tow. :) :) I took off sprinting and I was able to close the distance to about 30 yards. I pulled out my 22 pistol that I carry when I check and decided it was my only hope. I am the worlds worst shot with that thing but I had to try. My first shot went high and rightbut my second shot hit him in the hip and I was able to get up to himFor the coo-de-graw. :roll: I guess the moral of the story Is, if you don't like packing 30 pund coyotes over 1 and 1/2 miles, weld your damn connector rings shut!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops:
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I learned that lesson myself on snares the only good thing is that if you learn the lesson that way you don't soon forget.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Heres another valuable lesson I learned from this site and a few other trappers. Always set enough equipment to have some left for the target animal. I caught this coyote in a flagged walk-threw cat set. I saw cat tracks after the big snow a few days ago and popped in some new sets on my way out. Heres the results of my last check on these traps yesterday.
cat set.JPG
This is the big tom that I was tracking around the mountain. I caught him on a flagged walk threw set also.
cat set.JPG
cat set.JPG
This is out of some of the new country that I found this summer. I have heard that it hasn't been trapped in quite a few years and there aren't the tell tale signs of cat trappers in there. I have found about 6 different sets of cat tracks and have set on all so hopefully it pays off.
"God hates a coward"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

WOW!!!! :? :? I don't know what happened there but I hope you like the pic of the coyote. :) :) :)
"God hates a coward"