You asked for it!! 3 more dogs down

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

You asked for it!! 3 more dogs down

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well guys I have not posted for a few weeks due to catching up in school (necesary evil:D) and some other matters. thing are still going good... here is the run down!

Calling has been great thus far, and I was able to make it out on sunday for a full day of coyote calling bliss. Me and a buddy headed across the border to chase some song dogs. As usual the wind was howling pretty good and our first stand drew a blank with the only excitment being a lone magpie singing his tune.

We decide to head up the road and try a huge pasture with draws and a shallow creek running through it. Before we Sit down we Spot a coyote 1000 yards away milling around. All it took was a squeak and he was on us! Now there is a fence between me and the coyote and I tell myself I am going to let him cross ( No fun twanging a round off the wire trust me!)
As soon as the coyotes crosses My .223 barks and Coyote #1 bites the dust hard! Big Male.

The next few stands draw some blanks with the wind howling pretty hard!

The key is to keep hitting spots! Percentages begin to sway in your favor and Finally on the 8th stand of the day We strike again!

We set up in a pasture with the wind in our faces, As we get settled in I spot a coyote cresting a hill a half mile away headin the other direction. I know he didnt see us So We hit a short burst of rabbit cries.. Here he comes mach 20! and as a bonus his pretty little partner his hot on his heels. As the two coyotes close the distance on a string I tell myself to shoot the back coyote to ensure a better chance at a double.. As it always seems to happen the lead dog (Male) charged in way ahead while the female was around 150 out coming slower. With the wind blowing like it is I take the gimme and Dump the male At 20 yards! I always lay prone and being eye to eye with the coyote it pretty awsome! I hit him square in the face..(didnt mean to) And he wasnt to happy. He bawled Until I was able to put him down with a second shot.

The female narrowly escaped a few well placed misses on her way out.

Another Pale coyote

That put two in the truck with a few stand left to call.

The next two stand found us battling circleing coyotes that wouldnt come under that 500 yard mark. I was able to get one shot at 330 yards but shot right over the top.

On one of our final stands We set up in a pasture with A slew below us. not 10 seconds into calling I hear Bang Whop. A MANGY coyote was right below us in the slew the whole time.. The wind can be helpful for getting in REAL close on coyotes! The camera was in the truck and the coyote looked like a pooch on acid. I cant believe he was still surviving. Worst case of mange I have seen..

We ended the Day with three coyotes Which was exceptional for the high Winds. Hope to get out Again this weekend!.

Ill keep you posted
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Re: You asked for it!! 3 more dogs down

Post by 22-250AI »

Awesome job Mitch !

You said it, Location, Location, Location.

10+ stand days ROCK !!!!

Momma don't let me get away for many of those...... Sumtimes I don't ask !!
Krylon is my camo
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

22-250AI wrote:Awesome job Mitch !

You said it, Location, Location, Location.

10+ stand days ROCK !!!!

Momma don't let me get away for many of those...... Sumtimes I don't ask !!
I think what you need to do is let your buddy do all the driving, and then you tell the misses, "sorry honry I wasn't driving not like I could help it, he wouldn't come home" :)

Or maybe get up real early, sneak up stairs and take your balls out of her purse :P :P
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Awesome post mithc as always :D Keep laying the hammer to them and dont forget that you need to teach levi and i a thing or two about that williston area :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Nice going Mitch. You sure do have it rough out there. lol :wink:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice pics Mitch, you look cold in the second one! I love the overlook of the land in the first picture!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Way to go! You sure seem to be takin' em down a notch or two!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great looking dogs. gotta love those pales :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Thanks guys, It was definately cold out! This weekend looks even colder -10 without wind chill.. Coyotes here We come :lol: .
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

Good job bud I saw 4 paires of coyotes this morning over here where I am working we may have to try them this weekend. Agin good story bud sorry I had to miss it.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work way to keep after it!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!