Camouflaging your Barrel??

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Camouflaging your Barrel??

Post by LeviM »

I was just wondering how many people put some kind of camo wrap on their gun barrel? I have a ruger .223 stainless steel barrel and when the sun shines down on it you can see that it reflects a good amount of sunshine off it. I was thinking about wrapping the barrel with a ghost camo wrap. I was just curious on other peoples opinions.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I use either Vet Wrap or Camo Form. I think you need to get the shine off the barrel?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I think it would be a good idea to get some of the shine off my barrel. Stainless steel barrel really reflect sun, 8) its gotta be hurting my chances of some stands.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Here is a result of using Camo Form. Can you see my barrel? I know it doesn't look that way in the field but it's a cool picture none the less. (I'm on the right)

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

that is a pretty cool pic!! I gotta do something like for my gun, its gotta help the percentages!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I have been tossing the idea around in my head of painting my gun. Does anyone know proffesionals that could do the job??
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

A friend of mine had a fellow in Detroit Lakes, I think Boses gun repair, paint his with a teflon based paint. He had his done in full white. It turned out pretty nice. Water beads up and just rolls off. Very Permanent. I think it cost him about $175 to get the gun and scope done. I have used vet wrap for years. goes on easy and it comes off with out leaving any residue. I can change the color for the time of year and terrain very easily. It is very cheap also. They use it on horses and you should be able to get it at the local tractor supply.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks for the reply! I used vet wrap last year and it work really well. The problem I have is is that I have a stainless steel barrel and its hard to cover it all up with vet wrap! I have some time yet to decide what to do!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Levi

Get a roll of Camo Form from CAbelas. It is like an industrial strength vet wrap. It is much thicker and should hide the shine of your barrell. It is more spendy than Vet Wrap (about 6 times as costly), but I have had a roll of white snow camo stuff for two years and it still works. It is reusable unlike Vet Wrap. It won't rip and is washable.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I found this company that will paint my barrel any camo pattern that I want! I am leaning toward do it that way. I think I totally want to cover up the stainless barrel, It causes way to much shine!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

my guns have 26" stainless barrels and have not had any problems with the vet wrap covering everything up. I have painted barrels and used some of the camo tape. I have found that the camo tape once the barrel gets hot does not want to come off. It has always been a real mess. Painting works but of course you are stuck with that pattern no matter time of year or terrain. You could also see about having the barrel bead blasted. That would knock the glare down and look great when it is done. I had a .204 built last winter and the barrel does not have any glare with that satin finish. Lots of options, it mostly depends on your budget. send some pics when you get it finished.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks for the Replies Jamie! I have plenty of time to think about it, and will we post what I decided.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Jamie

I am getting a 223 here in the next week and I think I am going to go with a Savage Stevens 200 due to my budget. It has a free floated barrell and is a rough looking gun so I am eventually going to give it a custom paint job. What do I have to watch out for when painting a free floated barrell? How about when wrapping a free floated barrell? My Ruger 243 is not free floated so I can just wrap the heck out of it and it doesn't affect my zero.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Fallguy have you seen the new Savage model 10 Predator Hunter. It seems to be a very nice gun. I looked at one in Scheels in Fargo. I think the price was like 549 but it is already completely in camo. It has the accu trigger and is offered in .204, .223, and .22-250. It is worth checking out. I beleive you can also order it with a matching 4-12x40 camo scope and rings. :D
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

daryl

I did see that gun. My initial wish was to get that rifle. But with the new infant in the home I just can't spend 599 (price at Sportsmans in Fargo as of yesterday) on a gun without a scope even. The way I look at it, the more I spend on one then the more worried I am about banging it up, etc, etc. My next gun I want I am looking for a tool. A lowdown, coyote killing machine. As for accutrigger, I have been shooting a Ruger trigger for the past 4 years so I don't think I even know the difference. :wink: