3 coyotes learn the hard way.. Man I love this stuff :)

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

3 coyotes learn the hard way.. Man I love this stuff :)

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well, This past weekend brought some good calling In the limited Time Marty and I had to try. Ill give you the rewind, Hope you enjoy :).

Saturday - I had my high school basketball game at 1 o'clock, but this wasnt going to stop us from sneaking out for some early morning stands!. I meet Marty at his place around 7am, and We head to try some spots close to town..

1st stand draws a blank with distant dogs howling, but just not interested in comitting, We pull up camp and head down the road to try another area.

Stand two we set up overlooking some ice, Marty is running the camera while I lay prone in the snow watching the ice.. I hit the call and spot 6 coyotes playing around 3/4 a mile away.. they are not the least bit interested.. Darn!.. I try everything, and these coyotes could care less.. Finally I hit my secret sound and 3 of them decide to come check us out.!

Two of the coyotes end up hanging up, but A big male out of the group decides he has had enough!.. he comes in perftect. At 100 yards He looks to his left and I decide play time is over. He dies in his tracks witha shot to the throat.! An hour from the start of the stand, we have a dog down! Image

After retrieveing this coyote and trying 1 more blank stand, We decide I better get to my game!! its approaching noon.. I arrived at the school with my blood soaked whites on, smelling like a coyote.. I dont think my coach was to happy!!..

Ok lets fast forward to Sunday.. Once again Marty and I have to be back into town at around noon, As we both have some matters to attend to, Marty was headign to hawaii, And I had family pictures.. ergggggg. Well this still wasnt going to stop us.!

We decide to head to one of my " honey holes " that has produced for us, we arrive before Daylight. and we both take a quick nap.. As the sun rises, A heavyy fog accompanies it, We can only see 100 yards in every direction!.. Oh well.

Marty once again grabs the tripod and camera, While I Pack the 22-250 and foxpro.

We get setup, and I start with my new FAVORITE rabbit distress, 7 minutes in I hear marty whistle at me, There comes a song dog, right through the fog!!. Man was it beautiful. The dog reaches 50 yards And I yip him to a stop.. I shoot, and coyote #1 has expired!.. I hit the ky-yi, then switch back to rabbit.. 3 miuntes later I hit my secret sound, And once again on martys side a coyote comes loping down the 2 track trail right by his dead buddy!!.. I quickly adjust my rifle, and let out a yip-yip-yip!. The coyote looks my way.. Bad decision. 2 dogs down!..and the best partt.. We got it all on film.. Man I love this stuff!!

next two stands were blanks, and we were back by noon.. pretty good morning.!. The coyotes are having a rough winter!.. Ill post the video a bit later..

Hope you enjoyed.

Mitch.
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Re: 3 coyotes learn the hard way.. Man I love this stuff :)

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Very nice story and pics. Still racking my brain to figure out your "secret sound" that you have working so well for you. :? Cant wait to see the video.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

fun! 8)
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

You better hope that secret sound isn't on that video or we all might know what that secret sound is :wink: You gotta love it when you find a "new favorite" jack rabbit sound :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Oh trust me, its already edited out of the video :D
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Great story, and I love the colors on those yotes!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

That fog looks cool! Beautiful!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

mitchkvernum wrote:Oh trust me, its already edited out of the video :D
DAIN IT....... I was getting all excited when i read you were posting a video. I instantly thought 8) COOL 8) Finally get to hear the secret sound. :twisted:
Very Good post as usual. Keep em coming. Feels like we all have a subscription to Your magazine. :mrgreen:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great post and stories Mitch. you 2 make a deadly duo. one "little" thing i'd do is take off your face masks for photos : or people will think its me doing all the killing :lol: :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Very cool can't wait to see the videos
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

howled one in tonight by myself.. Dang marty went to hawaii :roll: :lol: ... story and pics tonight... pretty informative hunt.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

enjoying the show
Attachments
popcorn2.gif
popcorn2.gif (2.88 KiB) Viewed 10667 times
a proud member of the "IF" team
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

mitchkvernum wrote:I arrived at the school with my blood soaked whites on, smelling like a coyote.. I dont think my coach was to happy!!...
dont worry your not the only one that has had that problem. i have had to rush back to football games many times when out chasing some sort of critter. coaches get over it. and for me i would rather be hunting anyways
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

good job mitch I am home now and have some time off this week may have to give them hell
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

snareit wrote:good job mitch I am home now and have some time off this week may have to give them hell
Mitch told me all your secrect spots while you were gone so you may want to dis-own him as a huntin partner and pick me :mrgreen: :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."