HELP!!!!!! Need tips and suggestions

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kansas_buick

HELP!!!!!! Need tips and suggestions

Post by kansas_buick »

I am new to the coyote calling game. We hunted for years with dogs, but recent laws prohibit us from enjoying our traditional hunting. Anyhow, I have begun calling but with little success. I am seeking tips and suggestions on coyote calling. Here are a few specifics with the way I am hunting these little boogers:

Hand picked sets. I have been out about 15 times without calling anything in. Good locations with lots of coyotes and lots of opportunity. (I know they are there because I have spotted them throughout the year and have killed several during other hunting adventures.) Right now, there is about 3 feet of snow on the ground. It has been there about 2 weeks. I always hunt with the wind in my face and pick my sets depending on the wind being in my face or the wind blowing away from the expected area of coyote approach. I have hunted crosswind to test it, but with no success. I have tried hunting the open as well as hunting heavy cover. I use an electronic Phantom call with variable sounds and loudness. Generally go with a lighter rabbit squeal in the beginning and then bump the call up in volume to a reasonable level to get the sound out. I use the rabbit squeal for about 20-30 seconds and then wait about 5-6 minutes for a response. Then, I call again for about 20-30 seconds and wait again. I am usually on a set for about 40-45 minutes and then slip out the same way I went in. I go in quietly in full camo, including full face mask. Scent blocker products are used.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just not happening, but my frustration level is growing. There are no other callers in my area so I don't believe the coyotes are hearing anything else. After reading about the successes on this site, I was hoping to get a few tips and suggestions from the pros. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.
EO caller

Re: HELP!!!!!! Need tips and suggestions

Post by EO caller »

Everything sounds about right. Maybe try a mouth call. Change it up different times of day. It doesn't have to be first thing in the morning or late evening. They'll come in for lunch too. Try some coyote in distress"ki yi's". Your set up sounds good. We've all gone for dry spells though. 15 sets sounds bad but I've had dryer spells. Keep after it and it will happen. :wink:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Without being there and hunting with you, it is really hard for anyone to pinpoint a specific thing or things that you are not doing right. You might be doing everything right, but just are in a slump. I have had slumps of 30+ stands without seeing a coyote, and then out of nowhere you get 6 coyotes in 6 stands. Are you locating the coytotes ahead of time vocally (you here them howl back at you)? Are you hiding the truck behind the hills, and or trees? How far are you traveling from the truck before you call? Is the sun always to your back or do you allow it to shine right one you? Are you seeing tracks and scat as you walk into your stands? Do you watch the food source in the area to see if they are hunting in certain areas? there are so many variables that it is almost impossible to tell. Personally when i rabbit squall on a digital caller, i will let it squall for a good minute or two before i shut it off. When i shut it off it is off for about 3-5 minutes then on for another minute or two then i might turn it back on after 30 seconds for about 15 seconds then shut off for two minutes then back on for a period of time etc etc. ( you get the drift). I also sit on stand in the dakotas no more than 25 minutes. usually i am there 15 to 20 minutes then on to the next stand. If you cut your stand time in half and get an extra 1/3 more stands in on a day, you might get a aggressive coyote to answer. Done get discouraged on bit. Some people it takes years before they call in there first coyote. there really is no specific secret to this sport. it is a lot pieces of a puzzle that when they are all put together they will equal success. Welcome, Good luck and keep asking questions as they pop up.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
kansas_buick

Post by kansas_buick »

Thanks for such quick and full responses. I was reading some of the other posts and I think it just takes some patience to get everything down. I've heard the coyotes and seen the prints and scat. I've seen the coyotes and located them via howl. I think it might be just a matter of fine tuning things and getting my technique down. I will buy a few mouth calls to help out with various sounds and see how that works. I feel confident I'm hunting well. I generally walk about 1/4 away from the truck and put it behind cover. Sun has been all over. In my face, over my shoulder, shadows covering. I will keep after it and I think I will master it shortly. I've had a couple bark at me, after calling for a short period of time, but nothing comes in.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

not familiar with your area but where i hunt in western minnesota, i've had plenty of 15 dry runs. we don't have high densities of coyotes here but when i go out west calling, coyotes respond way more frequently, however there are lots of them there to. sounds like you have the basics covered. just hang in there and things will pop soon.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
TIKKA
coyotehunter

Post by TIKKA »

The yotes could have been called befor too, you say that there are no other callers, but where I am, there are alot more callers than you would think. I think the number of hunter seems to grow every year and every time anybody sees a coyote driving down the road they shoot at it it seems. The dogs get smart and very skidish in a hurry. Just my $.02. Good luck, we all have had dry spells, when you get one though that is all erased pretty quikly because it is so damn cool.
kansas_buick

Post by kansas_buick »

I know these fellas have had some lead through at em from the road. There are so many road hunters that it's kinda scary to get in the brush! LOL. I was just so frustrated because I thought 15 was alot of sets to not be seeing anything. As luck would have it, I have found a nice secluded area that a local rancher is having trouble with coyotes. Large area with lots of coyotes and no view from the surrounding roads due to thick brush. I'm headed out on Saturday to see if this is the one! I will take all suggestions and encouragement into the woods with me and see if I can break the dry streak! Thanks again to everyone for the words of encouragement, they have inspire a new fire for persistence!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

let us know how it goes. good luck :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Are you sitting on the skyline to where they are picking you up way out there? Your stands sound pretty good if you got a good piece of land for saturday like that it should happen. Try locating them just before daylight so that you have an idea where they are before you tackle that piece of land. After that just simply think of "picking apart" the tract of land and shoot straight.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!