Three Great Hunts.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

vmaster59

Three Great Hunts.

Post by vmaster59 »

We started last Wednesday when a friend of mine from Midland. Richard and I left to go down south of Ozona. For a little hunting. We got down there that evening and ate then headed to the ranch. Everything was looking good so far. We started calling with the foxpro just at dark. I was useing one of my 223 Rem. and Richard had one of his ar's. He was running the light when a gray fox came blasting in. We called in a few more foxes that night. Then the wind and fog came in and made it hard to see anything. So we called it a night. The next day we tried some day calling. The wind was still blowing some. I had the foxpro going with the lighting jack. And the batts. died when a bobcat was coming in. I started blowing on my AP-6 but he would not come in any closer. I guess he knew something was up. So I took the shot across this drop off and hit the limb of the bush he was behind. Still a lot of fun was had by Richard and I.

Then Friday night I headed out west of Pecos with Mike Gray, Curtis Gibson for some night time calling. We came up on the first stand and started calling and in less than a few sec. we had a gray fox coming in from a ways off in the light. He was taken so we moved to the next stand Hit the caller and here we go again another gray fox. That place was ate up with foxes. In a short time we had taken seven gray foxes,one swift fox and two coyotes. Another great time with some good friends.
Here is a pic. from that night.

Then on Saturday I went with a new friend Paul Carter. We did some day time calling. The first stand was a dud. Then we move to this spot where you could see forever. I set the foxpro out about 40 or 50 yards in front of us. We set up in front of this bush and we had the sun to our right back. The wind was left to right about two to three mph. Again with the lighting jack on the foxpro. Ten mins.had passed and on the hill in front of us I seen a white dot about 900 plus yards away. I looked in the scope on 12x and seen it was a coyote. I pointed it out to Paul and bump the vol. up a little and here came the coyote on a dead run. He got there so fast and would not stop for anything. Paul took a shot but that coyote was long gone. We watch him fly over the hill. I still say Paul burned his tail feathers LOL. Then we seen another one on the same hill about 700 yards or so. I howled he stop but would not come in. I asked Paul should I and he said go for it. So I sent a "hail marry" his way but came up alittle short. But Paul and I left both of them something to remember us by LOL. By the days end we had called up or seen five coyotes and one of those was called up at night just before we called in a night. I had a great time and made a new friend. Thanks for the hunt Paul. Here is some pics.

Last week I did a lot of driving and a lot calling on these three hunts. Made a new friend,spent some time with old friends. Called in a few and shot a few varmints. Did some story telling from past hunts and listen to some as well. Seen some new places as well as some old "honey holes". To me that's what it's all about just enjoying the gift that we are so lucky to have here.

Clint
Last edited by vmaster59 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Three Greart Hunts.

Post by Dcoy »

Amen,good stuff.Congrats on a great week.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Isn't that the truth!! Great post sounds like you guys really put the hurt to the fox. Thanks for posting
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good story. someday i would like to go to texas and try that stuff.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good to see some pics!! Nice work!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
CrittrCallr
coyotehunter

Post by CrittrCallr »

Sounds like a REAL fun trip!
It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC 1967-70; Vietnam 1968,'69.
vmaster59

Re: Three Great Hunts.

Post by vmaster59 »

Thanks Clint.