hunting Canada

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

zeiss
coyotehunter

hunting Canada

Post by zeiss »

Hey guys I'm new to the board. I've been trying to figure out how to make a trip up to Canada. I've been thinking about east central Alberta or west central Saskatchewan.
Anybody been up there? I dont need a guide just access. The research I've done on guides shows they demand a ridiculous rate.
Ideally it would be nice to make a new friend up there who is a hard core varmint hunter that has access.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: hunting Canada

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Non-canadiens cannot hunt sask and Alberta you can but must have a canadian guide
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
zeiss
coyotehunter

Post by zeiss »

does the canadian "guide" have to be a liscensed guide or can they be a farmer, rancher or just a canadian citizen?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

zeiss wrote:does the canadian "guide" have to be a liscensed guide or can they be a farmer, rancher or just a canadian citizen?
I believe it has to be a liscensed guide.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I think they need to be a licensed guide if my memory recalls me correctly. It will only be a matter of time and eventually i think they will open it up to non-residents :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Big game in most provinces requires a guide. What constitutes a 'guide' isn't necessarily rigid- In some provinces the resident hunter pays a minimal fee ($10 or so) to meet the requirement. The downside is the resident must accompany the non-res to some degree.

I used to bird hunt/ waterfowl hunt Alberta, Sask,Manitoba,Ontario and no license ever required a guide, so I don't know why coyote hunting would not fall under small game- Seems very odd that a guide is required but I obviously don't know the answer.
zeiss
coyotehunter

Post by zeiss »

Did some research and the guides/outfitters up there want like $3k per person per 5 days. That is crazy ridiculous money to hunt varmints.
With all the farmers & ranchers up there you would welcome varmint hunters with open arms. Wish I knew somebody up there.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

zeiss

FYI: Until about 4 years ago, coyotes and gray wolves were not protected in most provinces and could be hunted by non-residents holding small game licenses and without a resident companion. I still don't believe coyotes are protected according to resident standards but now non-res hunters are required to buy a special tag to hunt wolves/coyotes ($100 or so). If there's a restriction today than wolves/coyotes must've been elevated to big game and the guide requirement.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

If my memory serves me right you would still need a guide/outfitter to sign you lic. to bring any part of the coyote home/across the border, and I may be way out in left feild on that to.
zeiss
coyotehunter

Post by zeiss »

I tried doing some research on the Sask. game and fish web site but it is kind of a cluster you know what.
No real clear path to info.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

zeiss wrote:I tried doing some research on the Sask. game and fish web site but it is kind of a cluster you know what.
No real clear path to info.
If you find anything out, let us know, I would love to hunt coyotes up there, I just thought it was forbidden for us.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I couldbe wrong but i think a Lic. resident can take you out but the lic. res. can only do it twice a year....
zeiss
coyotehunter

Post by zeiss »

I got a response from this web site.
www.environment.gov.sk.ca that said only Saskatchewan residents can hunt coyotes in Saskatchewan.
I'm still waiting for my response from Alberta.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

This was a couple years ago and don't know if it has changed or not.....If you have any other lic in sask. you can hunt coyotes on your own outside of the fur district ( alocatted trapping areas) even res. can not shoot fur animals in someone else's area :( and even still the limit for non res. alien's was 2 coyotes a season :(
Attachments
some wolves from sask. couple weeks ago
some wolves from sask. couple weeks ago
a proud member of the "IF" team
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

15 years ago spring bear hunting in sask. i had a wolf come within bow range, did'nt know if i could shoot it of not so i did'nt. my outfitter chewed me a new bung :!: :!: :!: said kill everyone you see :evil: :evil: . still don't know if i leagally could have on a bear tag :?:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."