footholds and snares

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

yipyipyow
coyotehunter

footholds and snares

Post by yipyipyow »

Hey I was wondering if anybody on the site trapped and snared in winter conditions and had any pointers for me...

I'm trappin in WI and have plenty of coyotes runnin around. We saw 4 today runnin on the ice when we were weapon less fml!

Last week we stopped by the butchers shop and picked up some cow parts for bait and stuck it on a little island that they had been running by. We set some snares around the island on places we thought they would run through to get to the bait and that hasn't worked... The yotes barely have hit the bait. Unfortunately we can't legally stick our bait in some thick stuff to force them into our snares so we are stuck snaring in thin grass. The bottom of our snares are a little over a foot off the top of the snow which is 3-4".

We've also tried putting some footholds out and had problems getting the dogs to step on our trap and also with keeping our jaws unfroze.. They seem pretty wary of our footprints etc...

Any help would be great
jecole360

Re: footholds and snares

Post by jecole360 »

Try putting your snares in an area that is like a funnel or create a funnel with some brush and lay a scent trail to get them to go through it. Also I have found it better to keep snares only a few inches off the ground that way they don't duck under them when they go through it. As for your footholds have you tried a dirt hole set? What you want to do is find a spot where the coyote can only come into the set from one side. Dig a hole at a 45 degree angle awayfom the trap so that the coyote has to step on the trap to get to the bait. Place the trap a few inches from the hole and stuff your bait down into the hole. Also try using saran wrap or wax paper to cover the jaws and springs on the trap (not the trigger) to keep it from freezing and then place a thin covering of dirt over the trap. I don't remember where I saw it but you can buy dirt that wont freeze or you can use moss. Good luck!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Call O'Gorman enterprises and buy the book "Hoof beats of a Wolfer" 406-436-2234. When getting advice make sure that the person giving it to you has some coyotes under the belt there will be a lot of guys that "used to trap" fox that will tell you all the ways to do it but remember they were "fox" trappers not coyote and that makes a big difference
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
yipyipyow
coyotehunter

Post by yipyipyow »

Thanks for the tips... I was thinkin I needed to lower my snares because I've had tracks walkin right next to or under the loop. I've been using dirt hole sets and they just don't wanna get close to the trap or bait. Setting footholds in snow just doesn't work that well... I'm gonna give that plastic wrap idea a try though.

I've been out calling also and had no luck... I've seen the dogs runnin across the ice multiple times during the middle of the day... I've tried the sit and call for 30 min method and I've tried longer stands as well and both haven't produced so I'm getting a little frustrated!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

go to the trapping section of the site............lots of pics and info.
Coyotes Forever