Found some coyotes!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Found some coyotes!

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use my dogs on the trap and snare line in the winter. That is a whole other discussion but I have them with every day. For the most part they will help locate trap location and track animals that are on dragged trapps.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tbush we need more popcorn!

I wish I had some insight, but there is 3 adc guys on here all saying the same thing. They do this for a living, enough said!

Silverdog do you use dogs, or have you ever? Do you have any experience first hand other than knowing a couple guys from S.D?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Lets see here ADC guys need to kill coyotes to keep there job :wink: They say dont use dogs in the fall and winter months :!: If there job depends on them killing coyotes year around why would anyone even attempt to question there posts. As jamie mentioned there are always exceptions, but when there livelyhood depends upon what to do and what not to do; I think i will stick with there professional opinion :D Until you do what they do on a daily basis and concerntrate yourself on one county and try to kill all the coyotes, instead of running around state wide picking off the cream coyotes, only then can you say what will work and what wont :roll:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Silver who would be those guys in central SD that are using dogs year round?
Randy Roede
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I agress everyone seems to have "friends" that slay them in numbers but have no "actual" expierence themselves. That means that it's all coming second hand which can really get scuewed (sp) so lets here the names of these guys that "swear" by using dogs all year and an actual number of how many they are doing.

Jerry Hunsley on the site uses a dog more than i would during all times of the year but he's not claiming hundreds of coyotes a year and understands the advantages and disadvantages of it. I would certainly like to talk to someone that is a "coyote hand" that is using dogs all year long and see how its panning out for them.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Mike granger of montana and tony tebbe of new mexico. im not siding on the dog side of things. just showing examples of guys who like it..
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

I think there are two different ways of thinking here that are really very different in a way.

As an ADC guy I am thinking i don't want to risk running off any the coyotes because it may be the one or one of the ones i need.

As a recreational caller maybe if i get some coyote dog action it makes up for the ones I run off and don't get a shot at.

Two totally different worlds

I think it is important to realize this,especially for those maybe wanting to get a dog etc to hunt with RECREATIONALLY, during the winter.

Out of all the coyotes that hear you some will come agressively and give you good dog action, some will look but not interact, and some will spook. The main problem is not knowing what you are calling to. Locating before you hunt may help, but that's not 100%.

Reasonable expectations of what will or won't happen this time of year.

Silverdog knows what to expect both positive and negative using a dog this time of year, he has a lot of coyote calling experience, 1Shooter you were lucky to have someone to share that with you. Silver again thank you for taking a youngster along.

Like we discussed on the phone, I get a lot of decoy dog inquiries on the phone. Most think I buy a dog I find some coyotes I let him run and the pile of dead ones starts growin. Kind of like buyin an Ecaller or whatever. Somehow it will alone produce more coyotes for me. Usually the young dog gets out to far, can't be controled, coyotes beat him up, he is either dead or so gun shy he won't come out of the pickup. Occasionally one comes thru and turns out good on its own .

This is the sole reason why I am always very cautious when I hear of recreational callers wanting to use a dog. It is dangerous work for dogs or in my case dog as I run one at a time. Like I posted before, it may be an advantage on some coyotes, but overall I believe it does a guy more harm than good. I still have a shot at the agressive, passive and timid without, I may have more of a chance on the super agressive to take more on a single stand than I would without but it would be the exception and not the rule. The timid slow to a call coyotes, YOY won't happen. All those in the middle, 6 here half a dozen there.

It is very discouraging to see a coyote COMING and then see the dog and either lay down or go for the big circle down wind, or worse yet high tail it off.

It is very exciting to see 5 come hell bent to get the dog and care less if you are there.

Do whatever blows up your skirt.

Silver knows coyotes and was great to visit with and meet even thou it was only on the phone. 1Shooter enjoy his company and make sure to tell him THANKS
Randy Roede
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

RandyRoede wrote:Silver knows coyotes and was great to visit with and meet even thou it was only on the phone. 1Shooter enjoy his company and make sure to tell him THANKS
Yeah, he sure knows his stuff, I've already learned alot from him about hunting AND trapping. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get out again in February to shoot more yotes. Thanks again silverdog, and good post Randy.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The coment about leaving the dogs at home was in specific reference to 1shooter...............not sure how many guys on the site use dogs year round but I know of a few of them that are good hands. If Silverdog chooses to take offense to my opinion so be it. It was directed to a new coyote hunter that for months has been asking questions all over the site about how to get better at killing coyotes. I truly believe if your new to the sport and want to get better don't start by throwing dogs into the mix. I thought I read that the dogs were crawling on his back when he was trying to shoot. Not great well trained dogs if that is the case. the difference between a trained dog and your buddies blue heeler on stand is drastic. Go pheseant hunting with a well trained pair of german short hairs then go one time with your brothers Black lab house dog. Wheather or not 1shooter partners dogs are great or not my point is relivant. If you really want to see dogs work then do it in the spring when they work the best. I have had coyotes work dogs year round on specific pairs. Monday I caught a 4-6 year old female in a trap, I dropped the dogs because I have a new hound/cur pup cross I wanted to put on the coyote. He was barking and raising hell with her. When I choked her out I could here the Male back in the timber barking and howling. Now I have been working on these 2 along with a couple others on this new ranch for 8 days. I know it was a pair that had been working this ridge running down to the ranchers dead pile across the road. When I came in that morning the male was 200 yards down wind of her standing down by the dike. I got a quick shot off threw the trees, over shot him. Not very happy but did figure she was up there dead or in a trap. I had M44's up there as well. With him out there 3/4 of a mile or so barking at my dogs I grabbed my gun and heading up into the cedar. there is about no visability up in the hills and trees. I started out with a few ki-yis and in about 10 min or so he was about 440 yds away challenging. I sent the dogs who ended up pushing him about a mile out before they started working him back to me.............shot him through the pine at about 50 yds. I would have had a hard time getting him with out the dogs. I am in no way saying that using dogs year round will not work. I have great dogs that are on coyotes just about everyday year round breed for coyote work. My Cur crosses, there lines go back decades on coyotes. The videos make it look easy but they do not show you much of the screw ups. that all guys who have used dogs have had happen. Even in the spring and summer. If you are new to the sport it is easy to think you found the holy grail with each new trick you learn. The reality is that you have to be patient learn coyote behavior and doing your homework when it comes to scouting. Silverdog use them if you got them I guess. 1shooter i am giving you advice from years of experience and a ton of screw ups. To many guys see dogs work once and want to go out and pick up a pair. You are on the right track and hanging out withthe right type of people. Just want you to keep it simple because I am hopeing for you to be as great and successful as you want to be in the sport.

Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great post coyotehunter. i understood you right off when you first posted on this topic. as for shooter1, you seem like a great guy that is enthusiastic to learn and i think you will do just fine with more time and mentoring. just take it one step at a time learn as you go. i learn something about them s.o.b's every time i go out. hope you get the gun thing figured out :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I can see both sides of this topic, thanks for posting your thoughts everyone. Gives a guy some different situations to think about. I'm really lucky to have gotten the opportunity to see the dogs in action a little bit. I don't see myself buying coyote dogs soon, but maybe someday far down the road. Very cool. Bucks, I'm very close to a purchase, just need to make a trip to Kjergaard Sports and maybe check out a pawn shop in town that orders in new guns. :) Coyotehunter, was that coyote chewing on it's leg? Looks bloody...
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

1 shooter how much money is holding u up talk to me i will help
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

snareit, I sent you a PM
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I usually do not have any foot damage in my #3 modified bridgers but if you look in the photo she got the chain wrapped around her leg. Caused some damge. I use 3' of chain, swivel at the trap, mid chain and end swivel. 18" desposible stake. Flat set on a knob about 15 yards off of the 2 track. only place I could find that would blow clear. Maybe we can take up a collection so you can get yourself a gun and scope. Anyone got some dusty equipment to donate to a good cause?
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I've got a bi=pod I'll donate to the cause if interested. Maybe even a couple calls if you want and need one.
"God hates a coward"