Found some coyotes!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

yipyipyow
coyotehunter

Re: Found some coyotes!

Post by yipyipyow »

hey shooter let me know what kind of gun you got set up with and how it shoots!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Just a little on the dog thing. If you remember I said that I take my dog just about everytime I go calling. I also said that he runs a lot of coyotes off and I also said that It doesn't matter to me if he does. I just enjoy taking him with me. Now if I was a ADC man that would not be the case. He would probably be staying home a lot. The last time he was on coyotes , he ran a triple off, and two singles. I ended up getting "ZERO" coyotes. If my job was on the line , that would not have been a good senario would it? A dog is a personal thing, and lots of work to make a good one.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks for your input Jerry.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Hey jerry i could of used youre dog on my last trip out... Alot of deep snow where i was calling, not hard enough for me to walk on but hard enough to hold youre dog, which could of retrieved some coyotes for me.. :mrgreen:
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

So what do you guys think would happen if a guy brought a Jagd Terrier out with him in January? I've been thinking a lot about this topic since it started. I like my buddy's Jagd, I think that for it's size and determination it would make a great coyote dog! When I get a house someday I'm getting one 8)
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Gonna cost you more coyotes then it gets you.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

You guys are confused and have been watching to many videos. Dogs don't work all year long. Jagded terriors are cool dogs but they are for smaller critters. I would never use one on coyotes. I've heard stories of people taking out their rat terriors and jack russels and coming home with no coyotes and no dog either.

Just my opinion but dogs are more hastle than their worth unless you have an outlet for their energy. If you're just a fur season hunter then they're worthless because of the snow and cold weather.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I have never used a dog before for coyotes, but what i gather from everyone who has, is that a dog is nothing but a tool and not a remdie/cure (sp) to kill coyotes. Sometimes, things dont go as planned and it seems as though the dogs these guys use can at least hold there own if they get caught in a bad situation. Yes terriers have heart and ambition, but it takes more then bravery to make a good coyote dog from what i gather.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I know of one guy using a Jagd Terrier for coyote work and is very impressed with it. But to keep a coyote dog all year is a lot of work and if you don't have the time and energy to put into them they don't turn out. Most people shouldn't take on a coyote dog they just don't have the time to work it enough.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

IMO....any working hound or coyote dog starts out as just that..... a working dog, then if they live through some chases, get bloody, get some scares, torn ears etc... and become better.... then you bond with them and love them....IF you take your little BUDDY out and do this you might be looking for a new little buddy :(
a proud member of the "IF" team
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

What time of the year would you fellas suggest using dogs for cat-&-mousing coyotes?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you're referring to decoying April-August only
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

it definitely takes a lot of time and energy to burn off all of their energy. If you don't burn that energy you'll end up with a neurotic dog. That's an issue. The other issue is having enough coyotes under your belt to kill the coyote and not the dog. Using a dog is not for someone who is trying to get that first coyote under his or her belt. I don't let people come with me who I don't trust. A split second can get a good dog, good and dead.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

In case anyone is looking for a started dog Cal Taylor has one up for sale... If I had the time and the place I would of snatched it up in a heart beat....
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

You know what, I don't know CRAP about this subject :oops: A buddy of mine was telling me having a dog on stand is the best thing ever....... A gaurenteed coyote once he/she sees the dog........ The shooting dosn't scare off the coyote right away you can get multiple shots/yotes.........

What a load of crap!! Im not very book smart, but I have learned one thing in life, trust some one who has "been there, done that"....... I was thinking having a dog on stand would be cool....... Screw that!!!!! Trust the guys that know what they are talking about.

1Shooter, (take this as advice) you seem like a good kid, full of ambition and energy. your going to college and are broke like most. Just got a gun with the help of these fine hardworking guys on this site. your ready to go out and get a coyote, SHOOT A COUPLE COYOTEs FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listen to what these guys are telling you, your cart is so far in front of your horse its not funny, relax and enjoy your the hunting before you think about doing the dog thing, Xdeano, Prairie Ghost and Tbush, are being very nice and paitient with you and not telling you, that your thinking is all wrong, Dogs are for the guys who do this all the time, for there jobs....... Guys that have more time than most of us to deal with the bullshit, Tbush, PG, Xdeano know what they are talking about, they are the guys that have "benn there done that!!!!!!!"

Please don't take this wrong, I'm not tring to tell you its not possibl. The advice i'm tring to relay is go out and shoot a coyote or two or hundred before you get on the dog kick.

By the way guys, thanks for setting me strait on the dog thing, the next time my buddy has the idea to take a "dog" along, he is going hunting by himself, I got coyotes to shoot, not train wrecks to watch............
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.