Found some coyotes!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DustyC

Re: Found some coyotes!

Post by DustyC »

WOW!!!! :o Really hit a nerve on that one. I agree with what coyotehunter has to say because I have researched the situation. All of the people I know in control work agree that winter is not a good time to try to decoy coyotes. I don't know what his dogs are or how they are trained , they night be really good dogs. The fact of the matter is it doesn't work as well this time of year. If you are talking about the dogging coyotes videos they had there dogs on stand but the dogs didn't bring them in like nthey do in the summer. It is a good time to train your dog with shot coyotes and get them used to being on stand. I think the point here was that it just isn't as effective during the winter and you shouldn't expect to get as many as you would in the summer. I hope I made sense. :lol:
"God hates a coward"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Do you think it may depend on what part of the country a hunter lives in???
I know of two guys in N.M. that use there dogs year round and one of them has vidios of dogs working the coyotes in Jan..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

coyotes are coyotes. there is no good argumanet for useing dogs in the fall and winter months no matter where you live. Dogs are a control tool. Used on stand during the denning season to locate breeding pairs, babysitters and dens.
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

A mouth call will work with any old coyote all fall and winter....................a dog will not. I am trying to help you out here :D
Coyotes Forever
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Pretty interesting discussion on dogs, I myself dont use them so I have no first hand experience, I can see how a dog could really suck in territorial pairs, and also scare pups..

I know a guy from new mexico who run a cur, he is has 220 DEAD decoyed coyotes under the dogs belt starting from september..

I also have a buddy in Central montana who runs a mountain cur and swares by him, the guy is a flat killer.. He has told me that he has had coyotes leave on him due to his dogs but he says he picks up sooo many bonus coyotes with his dog IE doubles triples etc.. he claims the coyotes do some WEIRD and wacky things when they come in cotanct with bubba, his cur.. He swares by bubba.. both these guys decoy all year.

they are both CREDIBLE sources, ( they kill ALOT of fur).. Just saying what I know. I agree with coyotehunter I would think you would scare alot of pups of the year off with a dog..

My buddy from montana is know running 2 curs this winter and he tells me he has had alot more coyotes booger out.. More intimidating, but he is still stacking them upp..

both these guys really say they pick up sooo many more dogs after the first kill with there dogs bringing them back.. I can see both sides..
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Sorry about all the typos, Im tired
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not know of a single guy who does this for a living that will run his dogs in the fall and winter on stand............not one. This is not a discussion about whether or not it will work, this is about giving yourself the best oppurtunity everytime you go out. You can have varying success based on the coyote densities in your area but dogs will chase coyotes out of reach and scare others that will not come in. This can happen as well without a dog. I have trained hard working dogs that I would stack up against anyones coyotes dogs. Anyone. I do not use them in the fall and winter. Simply put I can kill more coyots without them. when I make a stand while checking traps or snares I will leave them at the truck. There can be some exceptions to that but we are talking coyotes and there are always exceptions. If I was to do it in the winter I would not use Curs.......probably barder collies or even Jack russels. Probably just one. If you like to watch the coyote interact with a dog do it int he spring. There is nothing cooler to watch.
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Why wouldn't we, ADC guys, use them year round if there was an advantage? Think about it!

Good posts Jamie
Randy Roede
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

ic what your saying coyotehunter. Ill post a link on here tomorrow.. pretty interesting, my buddy from montana decoys I think 6 coyotes into 100 yards with his cur in december. he reels his dog in, the coyotes follow :D . think he shot 3. the video sucks, but you can still get the picture..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Densities can have a lot to do with this as well. If you have intact family groups of 6 for instance they are more bold than one timid female or even one agressive lone male. Pulling in 6 is not as big of a deal as you may think, working one in would be more work. What do you typically see. I would bet that in the fall early winter on most stands, most years, it is 1 maybe 2 that you pull in per stand.

thanks Randy. I was starting to feel like the lone ranger.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I think mitchkvernum and i are refering to the same guy in N.M. that uses his dog year round.. he has some pretty good video's posted on P.M... The guy claims over 200 coyotes brought in with the dog since this fall.. Its possable that the numbers could be that high considering where he hunts..
But now if you take a look at the guys personnel history he has been known to doctor his kill numbers and also claim kills made by others as his own in order to sell more calls and get more students for his coyote calling university.. LOL The other thing is he only talks of the coyotes the dog has brought in and not much on how many may have been lost...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

coyote calling university??
Coyotes Forever
silverdog

Post by silverdog »

Coyote hunter-Holy crap, I do know where to start. Being a site administrator, you don't seem to be that professional in my opinion. Why does it matter if I have 3 posts or 3,000 posts? I did not ask your profession or question or your profession. All I asked was simple questions. To make statements and not clarify them doesn't teach novice or professional. I was under the impression that this site was for teaching not for demeaning people for the number of posts or the questions they ask. Going back to the original story, several of you said to leave the dogs at home, didn't sound like the dogs ran any of the coyotes out of the country so why would you tell him to leave them at home? I know a few great coyote men in central South Dakota that swear by their dogs year round. These coyote men told me that you can blow coyotes out by setting up your electronic callers, walking across flats in the open, sky lining, etc. with no chance of taking a coyote. At least with the dogs you have a 50-50 chance of getting one or multiple coyotes. Concerning the coyote decoy, you are telling me and everyone on this site not to use one or buy one because you don't? Explain. You also use dogs everyday but not calling? Explain.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

O.K i need to chime in here. You will kill more coyotes without a dog in the fall and winter period. IF this wasn't the case there would have been adc guys bringing them with since the start of time. Vern Dorn probably the best "known" on coyote dogs didn't and he was a fanactic when it came to using a dog to kill coyotes. I bring my dogs when they are the most effective if not they stay in the truck when calling.

I didn't think this discussion would even get this far on this subject so i didn't post but a little research would put this topic to an end it's been tried and tested.

I didn't know Tony used any dogs at all. As far as i "KNOW" tony only calls during the fur months and has a "University" to plug so i wouldn't take his opinion on coyote dogs as high as other people i know in this line of work.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Explain........have you read any of these posts?? You do not need all that stuff to kill coyotes in the fall and winter! Don't drag decoys around with you, don't bring dogs, don't screw around with misting....................Do good scouting, locate your coyotes, work the wind, hunt into your stand, make some noise like something is dying and shoot straight. To many people make this about the secret sound, the special call, shooting mulitiples because he had a AR or DOGS.....................If you are new to the sport conentrate on the basics, Keep it simple.
Coyotes Forever