Marty and I get together and put down five..

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Marty and I get together and put down five..

Post by mitchkvernum »

Alright guys, this weekend was good to me, with Sunday being no exception.. Marty and I made it out for a full day of coyote calling action!. The forcaster was calling for low winds (cross your fingers) and cold temps.. sounds about perfect, doesn't it?.

I met Marty at his place at 700 am and we headed out to an area close to town were a couple hundred head of deer are wintering along with THREE cattle ranches, talk about a great area to spot some coyotes in the AM..

We stopped the truck and spotted three coyotes working through the deer. we established a plan for a little spot and stalk and we headed into different directions.. Marty was able to slip in close on an OLD! male and he put the smack down on it.. This coyote had NO full teeth, only a few nubs that were brown. If only this coyote could talk, Imagine all of the times he has escaped death.. traps, snares, bird hunters, deer hunters, predator hunters, ADC trappers.. wow..
( picture coming)

we went and talked to the farmer and he was glad to hear we killed one. He then informed us he had hit a coyote the morning earlier crossing the road in his Buick. We headed down the road and picked up a gorgeous pale coyote out of the ditch.. talk about a bonus dog.!

We decided to put some rubber to the pavement and hunt a new area for us. after some phone book searching and phone calls we had access to some great country! our next stand we were overlooking a heavily brushed area with rolling hills.. pretty much perfect..

I started with my secret sound then went to a non-rabbits distress.. I immediately spot one charging us.. he gets to 400 yards, stops, and runs off! what the...?? Next we spot another dog coming way out, and then another coyote coming to my left! I let him come through the knee deep snow and at 150 he tops a hill and freezes.. sorry buddy but my trigger finger is not patient.. bang, flop.

Now it took me 30 minutes to get this coyote, the snow was just so deep. Here is a picture of my dog, and Martys dog from the morning.

Image (notice my trail in the background!)

Ok sweet, two dogs down and the winds are next to nothing, talk about rare. We head about 1 mile to our east and decide on another pasture with deer wintering in it.. Cant stress food sources enough!

Now guys, dont tell marty and I we wont work for a coyote cause this one was just plain ridiculous..

We get settled into.. well... the snow, with a bush behind us.. I start with some secret sound, then back to the non rabbit distress.. The wind isnt perfect and Marty and I are ready for a quick shot, A coyote suddenly appears coming down the drifted 2 track, He gets skittish and marty drops the 17 REM. Hammer, but the dog runs like the dickens! let the fun begin...

I decide to leave my gear behind and we head out on the trail, which leads to a tunnel leading into a thickets... yep you guessed it I crawl in head first to look for the dog, all the sudden he busts out the other side and into the next thicket, Marty and I were running like chickens with our heads cut off for the next 200 yards in knee deep snow.. FINALLY after 15 minutes of running and falling, getting our butts whooped we get a bullet in the coyote. we arrive back at the truck 2 hours after we left it..

We get our gear packed and head to another cattle ranch, its getting late in the day and the dogs should be making there move to the cows..

After some glassing we spot a coyote heading cross country, we spring into action and get ahead of the dog. it didnt take much work after that, he died at 70 yards.

Image the drag..

Image the dog!

We decide to call it day and get a pic of our 4 dogs.. The picture doesnt do these dogs justice, they were some true beauties.

Well not so fast! a mile up the road we pick up a "bonus" coyote right at dark! he was heading to some cattle and was in the wrong place at the wrong time!.. that makes five.. it was dark when I got back to the truck.

O and dont forget our coyote that the farmer hit with his buick,! that would make six. But I dont count that.. :lol: :lol:

Hope you enjoyed...
uglydog
coyotehunter

Re: Marty and I get together and put down five..

Post by uglydog »

Awesome day huh? Gotta love when everything comes together an utimitly the dogs pay the price. congrats!
Lets fill the pickup with dead animals
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

That pale dog in the picture with all 4 together sure is a good looking dog. Even looks like it has a perfect tail on it. And your only 100 miles away but your coyotes sure look a lot heftier then most of them around here.
Good shootin you two.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good job guys :) ar'nt you guys using snowshoes :?:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Once again GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!! My hats off to you for busting nuts just to get "A" coyote :D Not too many people that i know would even attempt it :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice work once again!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

no snow shoes on sunday. just post holed it.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

mitchkvernum wrote:no snow shoes on sunday. just post holed it.
ah to be young again!!!! :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quoteah to be young again!!!!][/quote]

You are young LeviM.. :mrgreen:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

TA, This time of the year, I dont feel very young, draggin ass through that snow for 3 straight months! I remember being Mitch's age, I would have no problem running through the snow!!! Not anymore :evil:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

try my age 52 still getter tho
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

snareit wrote:try my age 52 still getter tho

I would count every coyote in the snow like randy roede does :wink: Yep that one is three heart attacks away :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

I am the designated "retriever".. thats fine with me though :lol: .. Marty is in pretty good shape I would say for his age. :)
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I need to train Chris to be my designated retriever!!! :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeviM wrote:I need to train Chris to be my designated retriever!!! :wink:
Good Luck!! I am as block headed and stubborn as they come :wink: I will pee on your pillow, corrupt your dog, and destroy (sp) your nude magazine collection :twisted:
Chris Lyon