Hunting in MN?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Rhoades

Hunting in MN?

Post by Rhoades »

First off I should say HI. I am new to the board and just getting into coyote hunting.

I was wondeing if there is anybody near the Twin Cities that wouldnt mind a new guy following along to learn. I have read all that I can find on the internet but that doesnt replace learning first hand from someone who knows what they are doing.

My odd work schedule gives me a lot of free time and chasing after some coyotes sounds like a great wayy to fill some of it.

I know its a big request but I figured it was worth a shot!

Rhoades
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Hunting in MN?

Post by lyonch »

Rhoades, what part of the cities are you from? Minnesota hunting is tough for coyotes. There are a few areas, that i know of west of the cities that can be some pretty decent spot and stalk coyote hunting, but calling in general has always been tough. Night hunting under the full moon seems to be the most successfful for the minnesota callers from what i can gather.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Rhoades

Post by Rhoades »

Im from Somerset. Small town just across the WI border from Stillwater if that helps. East metro.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

my guess is your gonna be in for some trying times. i wish you luck but as Lyonch said, calling in mn is tough
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Do you have any land to call on? I am in that area every once in a while since my wife is from Lake Elmo. I do some calling in the park for fun, but have never called outside of the park.
Chris Lyon

Rhoades

Post by Rhoades »

There is a small chunk by my house that I figure I will try on. Its public but surrounded by farms and not too far from the river. Better then nothing I guess. I also have access to some land down by Slayton MN but the closer to home the better of course.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

if you can, try it right at first light in the morning. go in super quite and keep the wind in your favor. good luck and send some pics :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

MN is tough, if you can find coyotes that havent been harrassed, then you have found a pot of gold!! Good luck!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Rhoades

Post by Rhoades »

I figured finding some around here would be tough. We (2 or 3 buddies and I) are planning on the 2011 ND Classic in Dickinson since I have family out there. Figured it would help to try a couple of stands this year first though!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

rhoades, my .02 would be if your really want to get into coyotes and learn i woulld for the most part abandon mn and head west to at least central s.d -n.d ,neb.ect .you can learn more in 1 day in that area than a whole year in mn. good luck. p.s. im'm not trying to dicourage you but alot of new to the sport have quit altogether because of trying to call in mn. i've been calling for 25 years in mn with little pressure around here and it plain ass sucks.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

+1 on bucks advice! When I first started calling coyotes, I tried in MN, and it was really discouraging! We finally decided to go ND and try something new, and well, I havent called MN in 5 years. I dont know how far your drive is to SD or ND but you might want to make one trip, and get some confidence up. Dont get discourage if your not having any luck, stay positive!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I do not claim to be any sort of resident authority but I probably WASTE more time trying to call coyotes in SE MN (rochester area) than any one on these boards and everything you have heard about calling coyotes around here is completely TRUE!!! I am also not trying to discourage you and I will be happy to help you out. I been calling hardcore for about 10 years down here and I also spend a pretty fair bit of time in western ND and the fellas on here are right but I will take it even further.

I am not making this up. I and a buddy hunted the NDCC for the first time this year and went out to scout a full week early. In 5 days of just driving around and glassing we seen 60+ coyotes. Some were in the same area and I am sure they were some of the same coyotes but I do know I have not seen that many coyotes around here(se mn) in the last 5-7 years COMBINED.

Anyway, now that I have you thoroughly depressed, let me reverse my self and say that I had my first bit of luck around here and it started a madness to hunt coyotes that I dont believe will ever go away, least I hope not. I would be happy to meet you someplace and we can try out luck and I can show you how I would set up and call and a few other things. I am NO EXPERT on any level but when I get out amongst a decent population of coyotes, I get lucky now and again and I sure know what it was like when I first started and I wished BIG TIME, that I would have had somebody to take me out and show me some things. It really speeds up the learning process so by asking for help, you have the right idea!

A word of warning. Once you have that first one come in and get a shot, hit or miss, you are in trouble. Financially, with the wife and kids, your job....all of it will immediately become secondary. Maybe not totally but just as the guys on this board. Its and addiction for real. Nothing better!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know, :D

Jaybic
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

jaybic wrote:
A word of warning. Once you have that first one come in and get a shot, hit or miss, you are in trouble. Financially, with the wife and kids, your job....all of it will immediately become secondary. Maybe not totally but just as the guys on this board. Its and addiction for real. Nothing better!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know, :D

Jaybic
I laughed out loud, that statement is so true!!!!!! :?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

coyotes are number one and the wife has a hard time realizig it, but it is so true that it's comical :lol:
Chris Lyon

Rhoades

Post by Rhoades »

Thanks for the offer Jaybic, I will try to take you up on it!

I know its rough around here so I dont have my hopes up too far. I just cant wait untill the NDCC to try it out!!