Low winds, overcast skies.. and six dead dogs. Insane triple

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Low winds, overcast skies.. and six dead dogs. Insane triple

Post by lyonch »

mitchkvernum wrote:The coyote hanging over the red fence was sure a beauty.. they dont get alot nicer than that dog. big male

You got that right mitch!!! That dog sure looks like a beauty. Full fur at this time of year and that nice is hard to come by 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
yipyipyow
coyotehunter

Post by yipyipyow »

Can't you track em down in the snow though even if they stopped bleeding?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

yipyipyow wrote:Can't you track em down in the snow though even if they stopped bleeding?
They can go miles
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
yipyipyow
coyotehunter

Post by yipyipyow »

I'm sure with a .17 they can travel pretty far you've got to be a pretty damn good shot with that caliber
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

the dog was running straight away look to be hit right behind the shoulder blade the right fornt leg and shoulder where covered in blood last time i saw him his head was hanging and he was juast walking it was late in the day and a long ways a way and 3 and a half foot of snow and worth 10 dallors not going after that one mitch wanted to I talked him out off it he will more then likely go back and look for it some time this week knowing him
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

snareit I have seen coyotes get shot just like you mentioned, but if the bullet doesn't catch the inside part of the shoulder bone under the fur and muscle the bullet will simply ricochet (sp) off and cause more of a bullet splash than anything. You really see this with high velocity rounds. I shot one in beulah that you could see where the bullet burned the fur and caught him right behind the shoulder bone and made a mess of that shoulder. If i would have shot another couple inches right, i stongly feel that coyote would have done some running and possibly got away. Keep up the great work though x amount shot this season and virtually no run off's is pretty damb good in my eyes :D
Chris Lyon

snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

I have seen the splash thing more then once this year blowing up right under the skin only has happen with the bullistic tip bullet have not seen it with the 25 gr. hollow tho
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

snareit wrote:I have seen the splash thing more then once this year blowing up right under the skin only has happen with the bullistic tip bullet have not seen it with the 25 gr. hollow tho
I know a lot of people like to use ballistic tipped bullets, but the lighter ones really seem to expand to rapid and should be used for prairie dogs in my opinion. It's good to hear that you do have a bullet thats working for you. I don't know enough about the .17 round to say which bullet i would use if i shot it :oops:
Chris Lyon

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Its 12:30.. I cant sleep, Man I want to go call under the moon right now :shock: ..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

So mitch how did you do :lol: :lol: :wink: I had the same feeling last night :D
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

snareit wrote:I have seen the splash thing more then once this year blowing up right under the skin only has happen with the bullistic tip bullet have not seen it with the 25 gr. hollow tho
I have heard that from alot of people Marty. Heck even my .243 last season I was shooting those hornady V-max bullets, I had more coyote run from that then my old .223. I switched to hollow points, and every coyote this season has been anchored. Just my personal opinon I know alot of guys like ballistic tips
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lyonch wrote:So mitch how did you do :lol: :lol: :wink: I had the same feeling last night :D
Dont you have school in the morning? The only reason I was up that late on school night I was either hanging out with a girl or on the phone with a girl!!! :D Mitch do you have a cloudy mind or are you really thinking about coyote hunting :?:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

belive me it is all coyotes with that boy good thing the two leged coyotes can wait just my opinion mitch I saw 7 dogs this morning right off one of the well sites where we picked up coyotes earler my have to come over and try them when you get done with BB this weekend.
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

It was tough, I was up till two, I have some spots picked out I want to try at night.. Im going to make it happen soon :mrgreen: ..
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

mitch with you stacking up all the dogs you should be in the foxpro tournament. you guys would be kickin a$$, and all you have to do is post pics with their pose with your foxpro, you guys might be able to get a few posted before it ends at the end of march. www.gofoxpro.com