Low winds, overcast skies.. and six dead dogs. Insane triple

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Low winds, overcast skies.. and six dead dogs. Insane triple

Post by mitchkvernum »

Well boys, Marty and I are making the most of our quickly evaporating season and getting after the song dogs, and sunday was no exception. We planned a full day of calling and it sounded like the weather would actually co-operate with us!. Talk about rare..

Sunday morning came early As marty and I had been doing some night calling the evening prior. We decided to help a few cattle ranchers out who had bad coyote problems.

As the light creeped over the rolling hills we were glassing a Feed lot with haybales. Right smack on top of the bales stood old Wiley, we established a game plan and attacked it, the coyote got the short end of the stick on this one, 275 paces later he lay dead.. (picture later)

We rounded up the fur and headed to another farmers place were a large number of deer winter. We caught a coyote leaving the deer and we were able to snipe him across the valley, its 8:00 am and we have two in the truck, the farmers like the added help with the coyotes. ( picture later)

We pack up and head up the road to some calling grounds... Now hold onto your chairs, things got WILD after this..

As we rolled down the pavement we both simultaneously spot a coyote sleeping out of the wind by a tree row.. We turn around and get a better look, We soon realized there were TWO coyotes curled up sawing logs.!

500 yards to the east was another tree row that would hide our stalk perfectly, the wind was also in our face, an added bonus to say the least.

We packed up the gear and made our stalk, 1/4 a mile later we are set up looking at the sleeping beauties :lol:.. I start off with our secret sound and all Hell broke loose. ELEVEN, count them ELEVEN coyotes poke out of the tree row. they looked like gophers out there.. unfortunately they had commitment issues, they were not interested the least in my calls.. Now here is a true example of a sound triggering them. A few coyotes start to leave and I hit the coyote hurt pup.. IMMEDIATELY a coyote starts our way fast. Soon three more start our way, then 2 more. The lead dogs cuts across the field and goes on the OTHER side of the tree row that we are sitting on... CRAP! we cant see that side. Marty peered through the brush and spotted the coyote at 20 yards looking at us. Somehow ( dont ask me how he did it) he squeezed a shot through there and killed the dog stone cold dead.. And the best part, the other coyotes didnt even hear it. I quickly got up and snuck to the other side of the tree row. Right as I sat down I see the 3 other dogs loping over the snow drifts right to my lap. Unfortunately 2 of them kept in the trees and at 50 yards I dumped a gorgeous old female.. Right at my shot Marty fires on the other side. I walked back to his side to see a wounded coyote at 375 crawling away. i took my aim and let one rip, the dog lay dead after the smoke settled.. Sweet! a triple! I love it...

That makes 5 coyotes by noon. Thing are going well..

We try 3 more promising spots with no more luck.. As we rolled down the gravel from our last stand we decided to glass a large area ( we do this alot ) marty soon spotted a pair sleeping way out there. As we studied the situation we spotted an old farmstead that would get us within 1/2 a mile of the dogs. We set up a plan and headed to the farm. 20 minutes later we are siting at an old farm implement ready to call.. unfortunately the wind was less that perfect . But it would work.

I hit the call and We spot 5 coyotes.. ALL together charging the call.. talk about a sight to see. snow was flying everywere as these coyotes were getting truly tricked. Att 500 yards one coyote doesnt like it and runs off.. weird?.. 2 of the dogs decided to peel off to our down wind while only 2 REALLY commit good. At 100 yards They get a bit nervous and we immediately dump the big male. The second coyote we hit hard also. sweet! Unfortunately the 2nd coyote made it to a THICK brush area and we could not locate him.. We should have done ALOT better but hey, we did bring fur back to the truck. The less that perfect wind was our problem on that stand..

We tried 2 more spots with no luck, we ended with 6 coyotes in the truck, not a bad day at all..
ImageOn a side note one was rubbed badly with 5 others being in good condition... 1 being pristine..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Low winds, overcast skies.. and six dead dogs. Insane triple

Post by lyonch »

Great job Mitch and Marty! The bremen tournament had a lot of badly rubed coyotes. I sure hope we get some good coyotes for the minot hunt.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Mitch & Marty sounds like one of those dream spots were 11 coyotes are all hanging around WOW and I thought it was super to have 7 come to the call on one stand last week :D Love your stories about the kills :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
MEHunter23

Post by MEHunter23 »

I had a feeling there was gonna be a post from u mitch. Monday seems to be the day that u sum up the weekend of hunting. Good job slaying them and hopefully I will get my first this week or weekend. We r around the same age and u have killed way more coyotes than me! Anyway I enjoy reading ur stories and keep up the good work.
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

11 coyotes all in one spot. Did you have to pinch yourself to see if you were dreaming? :shock:
Great post again, and congrats you two.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

you 2 must be up to about 25-30 coyotes for the year huh ??? :shock: :shock: :lol: . you guy's seem to have your rifles really dialed in :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

bucks you missed 65 some where
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

snareit wrote:bucks you missed 65 some where
i kinda figgered :wink: :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

good job mitch made my morning Hey you guys Mitch has told me that his has his district basketball games on the 27th not good I have started working seven twelve at work but was going to take sat. off but cents Mitch can not make it I think I will just have to work. With the hours I will be working for the next 2 months the coyotes will be danceing in the snow
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Holly crap you two!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
yipyipyow
coyotehunter

Post by yipyipyow »

How do you lose a coyote with a 22-250 hole in it? Did you just graze it?

Sounds like a perfect day to me!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

yipyipyow wrote:How do you lose a coyote with a 22-250 hole in it? Did you just graze it?

Sounds like a perfect day to me!
Marty shoots a 17. rem.. and I have seen coyotes go ALONNGG ways hit by large calibers. there will to survive is amazing.

thanks guys
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

Ya I have seen coyotes go a long ways after being hit by a .300 win mag. and there guts are hanging from them and they still cover a lot of ground. They put a whole new meaning to the words "Will to survive"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

The coyote hanging over the red fence was sure a beauty.. they dont get alot nicer than that dog. big male
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

coyotes have the will to survive a gernade, if you dont hit them right with any caliber they might run!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"