Pet Coyote

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Pet Coyote

Post by Coyotehunter »

Look I really don't care if you get one or not..............as far as it being a dog............your missing the point if you think it is just a matter of DNA. Look wht I am trying to say is they do not react the same as dogs do to stimulus. There are coyotes that will more susceptable to handling but as a general rule they are a spooky animal, high strung and nervous......by design, keeps them alive. I have had them over the years and I know others who have had them as well. I know the guy who got that gal the coyote for "the Daily Coyote" and it was just luck and a whole lot of time on her hands to spend with the coyote in a remote area. Might be very rewarding for you if it works out like that for you. Just don't allow yourself to forget........its not a dog. I assume if you wanted a dog this would not even be a discussion. You are after a coyote, the experience will be more enjoyable if you allow yourself to read up and understand coyote behavior, diet,.............don't get one, throw a collar on it and stick it in the back yard to play fetch with the kids. Just to say you have a pet coyote. It really is just not fair to the coyote.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I cant believe the state of ND allows permits for anyone to obtain a coyote as a "pet", I want to know why this could even be an option????
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Levi I don't believe the permitts they give are ment for keeping a coyote as a pet as petsr4ever is going to find out..
To my understanding the permitts are there for trappers or lure makers so they can collect there own coyote urine and pooh and for some studies...The permitt was never intended for makeing pets out of wild animals and petsr4ever will soon find this out...
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

What Tim said.

The permit is also for the live fox and coyote business. My old man live trapped lots of ND fox and coyotes for live sale down south on the hunt clubs for the houndsmen. Lots of red tape and hoops to jump through to do it legally though.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

First of all, to Dusty--sorry I made that comment about bi-polar. It wasn't very nice. I do know all about the disease, since my oldest daughter is bi-polar. She won't take meds for it, and she should. Need I say anything more? I don't know for sure if Timothy Treadwell was bi-polar or not, but he for sure wasn't normal. And there is no way I would want to be compared to his situation with the grizzly bears. Just no comparison there at all.

I have no small children at home. I do have grandkids and I am careful when they are here, even with my dogs. I have a couple of geese that I really have to watch when the kids are around. I think one of them could do more damage than a coyote ever could.

Thanks to some of you for the advice. I will contact the DNR and see what I can find out. A woman I work with knows somebody in Bismark who found a couple of young coyotes last spring and was trying to sell them. I didn't want to try one of them because they were already up and running around when found. I would like one smaller and younger than that.

If I do get to raise one and for some reason I can't keep it, I would never even think about turning it loose. I would make sure it would go to a zoo or if I had to, would have it euthanized if it turned out to be mean and uncontrollable. I will let you guys know how it turns out, bad or good. I am not above admitting when I make a mistake.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

To Coyotehunter; I don't want a pet coyote "just to say I have one". If you knew me, you would understand why I want one. I love animals--all of them. I have been this way from the time I was a kid. There isn't one kind of animal I don't love. This isn't saying that I would want every kind for a pet.

And please don't say it would be unkind or cruel or unfair the the coyote. That isn't true. I could also say that trapping them, poisoning them and shooting them from airplanes is unkind cruel and unfair to coyotes too. But I won't. :(
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

petsr4ever wrote:I have a couple of geese that I really have to watch when the kids are around. I think one of them could do more damage than a coyote ever could.

Ok, its time to be "harsh".

This comment fellas, speaks volumes about the ignorance we're dealing with.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

petsr4ever wrote: And please don't say it would be unkind or cruel or unfair the the coyote. That isn't true. I could also say that trapping them, poisoning them and shooting them from airplanes is unkind cruel and unfair to coyotes too. But I won't. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Geez. Your not gonna say trapping, poisoning and shooting them is unkind, but you just said it.

I think we got a subdued bunny hugger on our hands.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I accept your apology.
I also don't care if you have one or not. I still would reccomend the 2 books I spoke of earlier. They are both written by very intelligent people with alot of insight on coyotes. The book by Frank Dobie is actually written, in my opinion by someone that had a deep passion for the coyote but also understood the need to control them. The Clever Coyote is an encylapedia of everything that you need to know about coyotes like Coyotehunter already stated.
"God hates a coward"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I almost forgot, The feelings mutual Dcoy!!!! 8) 8) :D
"God hates a coward"
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

barebackjack wrote:
petsr4ever wrote: And please don't say it would be unkind or cruel or unfair the the coyote. That isn't true. I could also say that trapping them, poisoning them and shooting them from airplanes is unkind cruel and unfair to coyotes too. But I won't. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Geez. Your not gonna say trapping, poisoning and shooting them is unkind, but you just said it.

I think we got a subdued bunny hugger on our hands.
I think the biggest insult I could ever receive is being accused of being cruel to animals. I won't even kill a mouse. I am not here to name-call or attack people here for hunting. I only came here for advice on how to obtain a coyote pup. Please don't attack me for my love of animals and call me cruel. And I won't attack you for being hunters.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

barebackjack wrote:
petsr4ever wrote:I have a couple of geese that I really have to watch when the kids are around. I think one of them could do more damage than a coyote ever could.

Ok, its time to be "harsh".

This comment fellas, speaks volumes about the ignorance we're dealing with.
And I suppose there is something wrong with having geese, now? It is a well known fact that some ganders can be pretty mean. (I am ignorant because I have some geese?) We also have a banty rooster that's pretty mean. We don't let the grandkids around him either.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

No worries, I was not trying to imply that your intent is to be cruel. I really am trying to give you some great advice. I just mean to say that a collar and a leash for a coyote as a pet would......well not realy be worth it, may as well get a dog. My opinion. I completely understand your desire to have a pet coyote. My daughter used to wrap the one up in a blanket and watch movies with it in her bed. They are very high strung and need some room to move around. They are extreme athelets and require a rediculous amount of excersize. I am just trying to point out some of the issues you are going to come across. Like food, they do not do well on dog food, they need a steady diet of rabbits and prairie dogs............trying to help here, seems your set on having one so I am trying to give you a heads up. I did not mean to imply that your cruel. sorry if it came off like that.
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

if everyone could try to consider their words a little......no sense in just making incendiary remarks for effect.
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

DustyC wrote:I accept your apology.
I also don't care if you have one or not. I still would reccomend the 2 books I spoke of earlier. They are both written by very intelligent people with alot of insight on coyotes. The book by Frank Dobie is actually written, in my opinion by someone that had a deep passion for the coyote but also understood the need to control them. The Clever Coyote is an encylapedia of everything that you need to know about coyotes like Coyotehunter already stated.

Yep both great books. "The Voice of the coyote" by Dobie is what you are looking for........you would love it.
Coyotes Forever