Pet Coyote

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Pet Coyote

Post by Tim Anderson »

If things work out then great. Here is a pic that shows what can happen if it don't work out.

This cow and coyote shared the same pasture for years, both just minding there own business. Then one day the coyote
had a bad day..LOL

The coyote did'nt care to share his pasture with this deer either.

The coyote did'nt like the pheasant hanging around either and most likely won't like youre geese either..

The wild animals are best left in the wild where they belong. Who are you to take this away from them? This pet coyote won't be allowed to intermix with others of its kind or to even breed but just lay around in someone yard cause they think they just have to have it. And youre Idea of giveing it to a zoo if things did'nt work out, thats really fare to the coyote. If a coyote could think and reason like a human I'm sure they would prefer death over a cage.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

pets, i hope you don't take this as me being mean-spireted,but.......you do indeed have alot in common with T.T. he did not listen to those he should have and he's now a piece of bear scat. i guarentee you we as hunters LOVE the animals we hunt also. we feel bad if we happen to make a bad shot and wound an animal. your judgement is very cloudy at best. i'm done with this and hope things work out for you but i'm betting against it .good lulck
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the only way to get one that young is by denning. Locating the adults then finding the den hole. wire one out of the hole (personally I would go with a female) and run like hell. LOL I bottle fed with Lamb replacer, seemed to work well. stay away from feeding it in its kennel. they like to bite when they are hungery, natural response when mom shows up with a belly full.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

petsr4ever wrote:
barebackjack wrote:
petsr4ever wrote:I have a couple of geese that I really have to watch when the kids are around. I think one of them could do more damage than a coyote ever could.

Ok, its time to be "harsh".

This comment fellas, speaks volumes about the ignorance we're dealing with.
And I suppose there is something wrong with having geese, now? It is a well known fact that some ganders can be pretty mean. (I am ignorant because I have some geese?) We also have a banty rooster that's pretty mean. We don't let the grandkids around him either.
The fact you said "I think one of them (a goose) could do more damage than a coyote ever could" shows your ignorance on coyotes, and really, the entire animal hierarchy of predator/prey animals entirely. Get a clue woman. You really dont see the stupidity in that statement? A goose being more dangerous than a coyote??? Its downright laughable!

We had some giant Canadas when I was little (and also some African Swans which made the Canadas seem like teddy bears). And I got wumped on plenty of times by ganders protecting a nest. I tell you what, id MUCH rather have a big gander pecking and beating me (or a kid) with wings than a coyote latched onto me (or a kid).

Than the fact that you previously compared coyotes to "nothing more than small dogs" also proves your ignorance on the animal. Thats like saying a black lab and a malamute are the same when they are completely different animals with entirely different behaviors, mannerisms, traits, and personalities which makes them better (or worse) for certain things. But I digress, your the animal expert here so im sure you were aware of that. :roll:

As for you regulars on this site encouraging this women. Think long and hard about what your doing. This woman came right out and in a not so hidden way bashed what many of us are very passionate about, and what some of us do full-time for a living. Read between the lines.

I think pets4ever is exactly the kind of person HSUS and PETA love to get at the ballot box when it comes time to further their agenda through the ballot box. A self proclaimed "animal lover" that votes on emotion and succumbs to anti-propoganda and likely doesn't know what hunting and trapping truly is and how important it is.
petsr4ever wrote: And please don't say it would be unkind or cruel or unfair the the coyote. That isn't true. I could also say that trapping them, poisoning them and shooting them from airplanes is unkind cruel and unfair to coyotes too. But I won't. :(
Shes not saying.....but shes saying. :roll:
Last edited by barebackjack on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

stay away from feeding it in its kennel. they like to bite when they are hungery
Run Forest, Ruuuun!!!!! :mrgreen:
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

bucksnbears wrote:pets, i hope you don't take this as me being mean-spireted,but.......you do indeed have alot in common with T.T. he did not listen to those he should have and he's now a piece of bear scat. i guarentee you we as hunters LOVE the animals we hunt also. we feel bad if we happen to make a bad shot and wound an animal. your judgement is very cloudy at best. i'm done with this and hope things work out for you but i'm betting against it .good lulck
lol, how the heck can you compare having a pet coyote to living with grizzly bears? It's like comparing apples to oranges. I may love wildlife, but I do respect it. I am no match for a bear. :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

ok just to clarify, no one is poisoning coyotes.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

but I do respect it
No you don't! If you did you would'nt be trying to get one to put in a big cage.
Coyotes have to have atleast 3x5 miles to run in and be able to interact with other coyotes. Thats how a coyote lives its life and you want to take that away from a coyote.. Well I'm done as well...
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Tim Anderson wrote:
but I do respect it
No you don't! If you did you would'nt be trying to get one to put in a big cage.
Coyotes have to have atleast 3x5 miles to run in and be able to interact with other coyotes. Thats how a coyote lives its life and you want to take that away from a coyote.. Well I'm done as well...
whatever. Do you own a dog? Well, if you do, then I hope you don't fence it in or tie it up. Let it run loose and big a dog for gosh sakes.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

To Coyote hunter; I am sorry I was so quick to criticize you. You are one of the only ones here who has been polite to me.
To the others, I wish you would try and understand where I am coming from. I grew up in a big city. I didn't move out here until way later in my life. I have always loved wildlife and all animals. When I was a kid, the only time I ever saw wild animals was in a zoo. After moving out here, even seeing a raccoon or a skunk go across the property was a thrill for me.
My husband and I are both retired. We both love animals and have lots of time to spend with our pets. I didn't get my first horse until I was 56 yrs old. We now have an English Setter, a Siberian Husky, a bunch of cats, a donkey, 2 horses, a goat, a bunch of geese and some chickens. 8 yrs ago I found a baby bluejay on the ground after a storm and we couldn't leave him on the ground or the cats would have got him, so we brought him in and raised him and he still is alive healthy happy and well living in a big cage in our kitchen right in front of a big window.

I am not a bad person for loving animals. My life is great and the lives of my pets is the best. Please stop making me out like I'm some kind of a bad person.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I dont think you've been criticized for liking animals. You've been criticized for not listening to common sense and experience.

Coyotes belong in the wild, not in your harem of pets. Thats just the way it is. If coyotes made good pets, there'd be a lot of em already as pets. But they dont, so there isn't. And thats just the way it is. You want to watch coyotes? Than go observe them in the wild where they belong.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Go down to Souix falls zoo. They got a pair of coyotes they got as pups, pretty cool to watch at times but if you look close you will see how messed up they are. Like most animals that are caged up they just go into a trance and pace back and fourth along the edge of a cage. Not much of a life for a caged animal don't you think!!!!!

Edit to add:[quote he still is alive healthy happy and well living in a big cage in our kitchen right in front of a big window][/quote]

How do you know the bird is happy? Did it tell you so??? Have you ever seen cock-a-too. Nice pretty birds when you first get them, then after a few years there feathers start to drop. Just like any other wild animal they are'nt happy to be in a cage and it shows more dramaticly in them compared to others..

Not sure about youre state laws but here you are not allowed to have a live one.. :shock: :shock:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am glad to see your on here trying to get some info on coyotes. Please take the time to find a copy of "Voice of the Coyote" The Clever coyote is a good read as well but you will really enjoy Dobies's perspective on coyotes.
Coyotes Forever
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Tim Anderson wrote:Go down to Souix falls zoo. They got a pair of coyotes they got as pups, pretty cool to watch at times but if you look close you will see how messed up they are. Like most animals that are caged up they just go into a trance and pace back and fourth along the edge of a cage. Not much of a life for a caged animal don't you think!!!!!

Edit to add:
How do you know the bird is happy? Did it tell you so??? Have you ever seen cock-a-too. Nice pretty birds when you first get them, then after a few years there feathers start to drop. Just like any other wild animal they are'nt happy to be in a cage and it shows more dramaticly in them compared to others..

Not sure about youre state laws but here you are not allowed to have a live one.. :shock: :shock:
Well, if my bluejay wasn't happy, I don't think he would be looking as good as he does (he is beautiful), and I really doubt he would have lived to be 8, since they usually only live to be 7 in the wild. He gets lots of good attention. And, by the way, it is NOT LEGAL to have a bluejay as a pet (in captivity) in North Dakota or any other state as far as I know. They are an American songbird and you can't legally have an American songbird in captivity. That being said---I don't care. He would have been dead, otherwise, the same day I found him. So you can report me if you like, I really don't care. It would literally be over my dead body for anyone to try and take him away from me. Legal or not, I don't care.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Coyotehunter wrote:I am glad to see your on here trying to get some info on coyotes. Please take the time to find a copy of "Voice of the Coyote" The Clever coyote is a good read as well but you will really enjoy Dobies's perspective on coyotes.

And I thank you so much again. I will for sure order that book.

Oh, and by the way (everyone else), I am not another Timothy Treadwell, but I sure like "The Coyote Song"---the song in that movie about Treadwell. :)