coyotehunter

E caller

Post by hitman1881 »

what would you all sugest for a E Caller to get started with? and why? Thanks
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: E caller

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Lots to choose from i for one like most of the foxpro models. However if you are new to calling altogether i would HIGHLY suggest starting with a few handcalls and getting a few under your belt that way before going with an e-caller.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
hitman1881
coyotehunter

Post by hitman1881 »

Prairie ghost
why do you say that? is it just to get the experiance with hand calls or do you feel they work better or are easier to use. i been hunting and calling turkeys for 15 years and enjoy that very much, which is a big part of why i have decided to try predator calling. where i live you cannot use electronic calls for turkey hunting so i am pretty decent with mouth and hand turkey calls. what do you suggest for good starter calls for coyotes. i will be mostly hunting large timber edges with feilds butting up to them. thanks for your advice.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

PG has a good point. alot of guys buy an e-caller thinking its gonna up their chances only to find out its not always so. now here you sit with and expensive unit thats gonna collect dust. try mouth calls first and see if you have sucsess and enjoy it. if not your only out about a 20$ bill. theres a reason there are 1000's of e-callers for sale on varius hunting sites :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Check out the store here.Hard to go wrong with a Crtr call and a Song dog by the same company.If you want a closed reed,hard to go wrong with a Circe.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

bucksnbears wrote:PG has a good point. alot of guys buy an e-caller thinking its gonna up their chances only to find out its not always so. now here you sit with and expensive unit thats gonna collect dust. try mouth calls first and see if you have sucsess and enjoy it. if not your only out about a 20$ bill. theres a reason there are 1000's of e-callers for sale on varius hunting sites :wink:
Hey! I happen to like all those barely used e-callers up for sale! :wink:

But ya. What he said.

So many guys buy a foxpro thinking its a cure all to predator huntings woes, push a button and coyotes fight each other to be the first to get to you. (not to say an e-call isnt a good tool with a time and place and many pros, and some cons as well). E-calls are also probably the single piece of equipment most abused by rookie callers. Electronics educate a lot of coyotes.
Cut your eye teeth with a mouth call, than if its something your gonna stick with, think about an e-call.

I have two foxpros. There are some things I like about them, some situations where they are damn handy, and some things I dont like about them. I still kill the majority of my coyotes with a hand call however.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

One i believe a guys learns a lot more by running a hand call and trying to use it to make different sounds.

Two i believe a guy learns a lot more by running the call with his mouth while coyotes are showing up ect ect.

Three i think guys get lazy and start switching through the sounds on an ecaller long before they should.

Four i think a guy needs to learn the coyote language VERY WELL and learn how to reproduce them with a hand call instead of trusting what a call maker tells you is playing.

Five it gives you a better thought of accomplishment to get it done with a hand call (In my opinion).

Six no two people sound alike on a OPEN reed hand call

Lots of good hand calls out there i think it is tough to beat the Critr-call selection however i do think the Mark Zepps new line of calls are really well made and produce a good sound.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

PG; does it happen often that a sound on a foxpro, ect... will not be what the remote say it is???? Norms foxpro seems not right in some sounds to me, but what the hell do I know.......
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good Points PG
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
hitman1881
coyotehunter

Post by hitman1881 »

PrarieGhost... great points. i love calling in turkeys and if i may say so am pretty darn good at it. i think i will take your advise and see what i can do with out the ecaller for awhile. then maybe save a buck or to and try and pick up one of those barely used ones in a year or two. :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

hitman1881 wrote:PrarieGhost... great points. i love calling in turkeys and if i may say so am pretty darn good at it. i think i will take your advise and see what i can do with out the ecaller for awhile. then maybe save a buck or to and try and pick up one of those barely used ones in a year or two. :D
good plan!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

i like the guys with e caller, they go in and produce nothing because the coyote can tell you it is a fox pro or ect., and then when i go in with a mouth call i produce, if i miss a coyote, in a few day ill change locations it could be as little as 250 yards from the prevous spot. i believe it is also what was learned by the coyote, did he see the caller and associate the sound with the caller, pickup, or whatever, how does that coyote think, if he hears a fawn blep and gets a ass kicking from a doe is he scared of fawns from then on, i was thinking of this the other day, it dont matter what mouth call i use, some work better in certain condition once you have mastered the mouth call (open or closed reed or even a e caller) setup is number one. the wind, the most likely route for a coyote to come in, cover for the hunter, hunter not makeing fast moves, when to call( some time more often and some time less, how long to call on a stand, if you kill a coyote do you keep calling) a new caller will get up and be happy and not notice the other coyote. Lots of things come into play before a person even makes a sound and then what happens after, if you miss a coyote do you unlaod your gun on him at a 1000 yards. closer the better except in your lap is to close!