scope reticle question

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

MJS1977
coyotehunter

scope reticle question

Post by MJS1977 »

I'm going to purchase a 22-250 within the week and would like to know which scope reticle do you like for coyote hunting? More than likely putting a Nikon monarch on the gun but im not sure if i should buy the nikoplex reticle which is just a duplex crosshair or the BDC, bullet drop compensator.

I know everyone has their own opinion through experience but i'm not sure which direction to go.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: scope reticle question

Post by lyonch »

If i was in your situation, i would get the one that has some sort of a BDC reticle. I use to have a nikon scope that i had a lot of problems with and traded it in for a leupold and i'm very glad i did (just my 2 cents). Get what you can afford though!! The reason i say a BDC reticle is because when you find out what distances those marks are at, it's just a quick range with the rangefinder and put the mark on them and shoot. It will help eliminate the human error in a hold over. Remeber to take note which power your scope was on when you tested the BDC marks out. I prefer to have it on full power when i do this.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I know a couple people had them hookey Nikon reticles with the little circles in them.

None of them liked it.

Holdover points are nice, but those circles aren't too conducive to precision if thats what your after. For MOC accuracy (minute of coyote) they probably work, but without a definite POI, they aren't great for pinpoint accuracy.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If it has circles for the BDC, i am with BBJ in the fact that i wouldn't use it. Get one that has either a dot or a hash mark and you will be a lot more accurate with it!
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i've debated this for years to myself and the older i get and more i shoot, i want an uncluttered feild of veiw. straight xhairs for me. all my scopes are 3x9 except 1 4x12 leo. but than again, i consider myself a hunter over a marksman. i love 1/2 inch groups ALL DAY LONG but have learned for coyotes under 400 yards thats not REALLY needed.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

You start talking BDC reticle to account for holdover, than factor in that those nikon scopes are not first focal plane, than TRY to figure out which circle/hash mark is the right one, than add in the excitment factor of a coyote that is skiddish and on the move, I SEE A SWING AND MISS, 4 out of 5 times.......

Like bucks said SIMPLE!!!! Fine duplex is my preferance, allthough I got a couple with milldot (on my bigger caliber deer rifles) but if given the choice, fine duplex is my choice. But now I allso run M-1 turrets on my scopes and dial it in and hold dead on.....

A buddy of mine has that nikon coyote model scope and he loves the circles, I shot it a few times and it just seems like your guessing when pulling the trigger on paper, but he says he prefers the circles over crosshairs :?
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I have the Nikon Monarch 4x18x40 on my 22-6mm AI with the nikoplex and I haven't had any trouble at all.(hope to put a NF on it someday). Skip the BDC and go with turrets in my opinion. Like Opti said, twist the damn thing and hold right where you want to hit.(or something like that)
"God hates a coward"
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

DustyC wrote:I have the Nikon Monarch 4x18x40 on my 22-6mm AI with the nikoplex and I haven't had any trouble at all.(hope to put a NF on it someday). Skip the BDC and go with turrets in my opinion. Like Opti said, twist the damn thing and hold right where you want to hit.(or something like that)
Hey Dusty, there is that every now and then when we run across a coyote we bumbed or just you that is running across a feild that there is no way in hell your going to ever get at..... I call it "wheel of fortune" turn and burn and see how close you get.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Optimax90 wrote:
DustyC wrote:I have the Nikon Monarch 4x18x40 on my 22-6mm AI with the nikoplex and I haven't had any trouble at all.(hope to put a NF on it someday). Skip the BDC and go with turrets in my opinion. Like Opti said, twist the damn thing and hold right where you want to hit.(or something like that)
Hey Dusty, there is that every now and then when we run across a coyote we bumbed or just you that is running across a feild that there is no way in hell your going to ever get at..... I call it "wheel of fortune" turn and burn and see how close you get.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opti - your "wheel of fortune" is why i have the LR reticle in my leupold sope. I know where the first hash hits, and i know where the second hash hits exactly. I also have a Turret on the scope as well. I like to leave the turret on 200 (my sight in) then if i do get one running or bump one, i just use the LR marks in the reticle to use as my holdover. It's the same concept as your "wheel of fortune" but you can aquire the target faster and are giving it a little more educated guess, than just spinning the knob and hoping for a random luck shot.
Chris Lyon

Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Hey chris, its not like i make a practice of it!! I don't like guessing and just winging em out there, it has happenened a few times and we laugh about it 8)
Just a big fan of simple cross hairs, confusses me less, and the more you know about me you'll find it don't yake much to confuss me :wink:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

In a tournament situation opti - if you aren't slinging lead, your not trying!! Even a blind guy will connect on a coyote at random here and there. Sometimes those shots are what will seperate you from 4 place to 1st or 2nd!! Confusing you is the easy part :wink: Unconfusing you is like trying to shoot three coyotes in one shot :shock: highly unlikely that it will happen :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: Gotta rib you here and there :P
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I won a Nikon scope last sept. with the BDC circles. The scope canbe used with any cartridge, you just have to tailor the load or adjust the power setting to make it work.. As far as getting on target its pretty simple and works well enough for coyotes out to 4-500 yds... I sold mine to fund another WT caller but willbe getting another one in the near future..
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

lyonch wrote:In a tournament situation opti - if you aren't slinging lead, your not trying!! Even a blind guy will connect on a coyote at random here and there. Sometimes those shots are what will seperate you from 4 place to 1st or 2nd!! Confusing you is the easy part :wink: Unconfusing you is like trying to shoot three coyotes in one shot :shock: highly unlikely that it will happen :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: Gotta rib you here and there :P
Chris you don't know how try that is, it took me three times to read that before I caught on.......... :oops: :lol: :lol: