At least I have my priorities straight :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I would have love to been there but i only get to hunt with dad once a year and thats deer hunting. im waiting for the -30 temps with little wind and a tournament on the line to shine :wink: . Well levi it finally looks like since you got married that the wife doesn't play with your scope anymore :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Knock on wood, My scope is dead on!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

i heard it all now :roll:
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work that is a pig of a coyote.

What made you say that you kicked up a male? did you see him lift his leg or were you just assuming due to it's size?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I guess I am assuming due to his size and he had his hackles up alittle when he took off. or it seemed he did!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I see i just find myself putting a sex on a coyote too much when i really don't have anything solid to make the judment by and it can cost you depending on the time of year
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I hear ya what your saying! I am the first to admit I judge way to fast. I can see where it could hurt you certain times of the year! Good point Brad
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tried it again at my old stomping grounds back in MN. First stand we had a couple howling at us right away in the morning. we couldn't get em' to buch from there cover. They didn't want to cross an open field to get to us. I decided to wait to go after them, I think alittle snow cover will be ideal. Second stand I called a pair of young ones in, and they spotted my little brother move and they were out there in a heart beat no shots fired!! Hopefully this coming up weekend I can get him and my dad a shot at a coyote!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

sounds like you were able to see a couple at least. I was out and made 6 stands on saturday afternoon and i had a couple of rookies with me and well all i can say is that those boys need to learn how to shoot a rifle :x I called in a total of 5 coyotes there was three that came in to the first stand and my heart was just pounding and when they came to about 150 yards on of the guys popped up with his shotgun and started shooting at the closest one well he never even touched (only educated it) the guy manning my rifle didn't even come close i couldn't even see where he was shooting. Second stand was dry. third stand i called in a loner and it wouldn't come any closer than 200 yards and i told the guy with my rifle to put the crosshairs right on it and squeeze well one shot and it went over the hill and in the woods. the bullet hit right at the coyotes feet. then i was getting the whole your gun is off speech so i to prove to them that it was on. then stands 4 and 5 were dry. Then the last stand i got into a howling match with one for about 15 minutes then finally i got fed up and threw out the chellenge howl cause it was getting dark and it was about 2 minutes he come running to a top of a hill at about 250 yards away and well it was another rifle shot and miss for the rifle man and i was quite disgusted with the outing for performance capitalization. I told them that next time they wanna hunt coyotes they gat a shotgun only and get to shoot when i tell them too!!!!
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

That is frustrating, everyone is in such a hurry.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thats the biggest reason i quit taking out rookies they can ruin a good bunch of coyotes for you in a hurry. now you will have to spend way more time tring to clean that bunch up where if you were by yourself you could be looking for the next bunch to work on.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont mind giving people a taste of the sport but i can guarantee you that they get a shotgun only and are not going to shoot till i tell them. That way when or if they miss i have a chance with my rifle or my shotgun. The problem with minnesota is that when i do call them out of the woods or a thicket of some sort its usually one or two shots tops then they are in cover and you cant see them. It would have been hard to get all three but two were chargin hard and i figured i would be able to get them right in our laps. Well we live and we learn. I will wait until later in the season then levi and i are going to have to go raise some hell on them.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good point Brad. I also hate taking rookies out. The only rookies I take out are my brother and my Dad and thats only a couple of times a year. If I am going to invest a bunch of money in a day chasing coyotes, I want to get max results!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Prairie Ghost wrote:Thats the biggest reason i quit taking out rookies they can ruin a good bunch of coyotes for you in a hurry. now you will have to spend way more time tring to clean that bunch up where if you were by yourself you could be looking for the next bunch to work on.
Seems to me I was with you when I shot my first coyote. Hope I didn't create that attitude in you because I sure had a blast that trip. :P