Leupold Scopes

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Brent M

Leupold Scopes

Post by Brent M »

Hey, I am trying to decide on a new scope for my varmint gun. I am leaning towards a Leupold VX-1 4x12 with a Long Range Duplex. I am wondering if anyone has used one of these reticles on a Leupold. I am curious how hard they are hard to get sighted in properly for the different ranges. If anyone has any experience using this reticle I would love to hear about it. Maybe a scope with turrets would be better, I just want something for long range shooting. I have been missing a lot of coyotes out at long distances because I do not know my hold over point. Thanks.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Holdover has nothing to do with your scope its not the scopes fault. you need to know the physical ballistics of your gun. As far as the leupold scope you mentioned im sorry i know nothing about that scope. I personally shoot nikon scopes and love them. leupold does make a very nice scope but the scope is only as good as the guy who is using it. If you know the physical dimensions of an average coyote and the ballistics of your gun any scope would do fine. for me its the bullet drift tghat i have a hard time judging. the amount of times that i shoot at a coyote more than 300 yards is minimal so i personally see no need for target turrets. just my 2 cents.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I have the same problem, missing coyote a long ranges. I know its not my equipments fault, its my fault not "getting to know my gun" right Daryl! Everyone should know where there gun hits at different ranges.

I wish I could blame misses on my equipment but everyone quickly reminds me its my fault :oops:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Brent M

Post by Brent M »

Oh yeah, it is definitely my fault not the scope when I miss long shots. I reload 55 grain Nosler BT for my 22-250 and I know what the bullet does at different yardages. The problem is guesing how many inches high I am aiming. Thats why I thought a LR duplex would be nice because I could use the differnet marks for long shots.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I understand where you are coming from but if you dont know what that exact yardage is beyond 300 yards you are more than likely going to miss the coyote. So if you use a rangefinder great. then that scope could benefit your greatly. If your like me though i know my gun is sighted in at 200 yards and at 300 i am approximately 6"low. so my crosshairs, if the coyote is stopped and standing broadside, goes right on the hairline on the back of the coyote at the top of the shoulders at the most for compensation. After that personally i cant hold a gun still enough unless im bagged up to consistently put a bullet in a kill zone beyond that. So from there on is hope and poke for me unless i get to know my gun a little better.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Brent M

Post by Brent M »

Yeah for it to be any benefit I will have to use a rangefinder. I just am wondering how hard it is to get those long range marks sighted in properly. Thanks for your input.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use a range finder, fence posts and power-line poles for judgeing distances. My scopes have a Kenton BDC dial on them, just dial and smile.. :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have been using the VARI-XII for years in the 4X12, I have 5 of them. great price, great scope.
Coyotes Forever
Brent M

Post by Brent M »

Do you have the long range duplex on your VARI-XII?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Nope, I have the Mil Dot on one and the rest are just the wide or the fine duplex.
Coyotes Forever
yotehowler

Post by yotehowler »

I have two varmint hunter reticles and with a little range time they seem to make my percentage of 300 yd plus shots a lot higher than before. you have to settle in on one power setting and go with that and it seems to be pretty deadly when you find the sweet spot.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have the same reticle (the point between the cross hairs and the point of the bottom post is the same on all the scope), power setting, and eye relief on all the guns. You can range find with the duplex and once you no your hold over it is easy to remember where to hold the cross hairs or point of the bottom post.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you go with mil-dots you can actually get a lot more accurate yardages using the mil dot to range them then you would think. Then you wouldn't need a range finder. If you go to Mil dot .com you can start learning. I'm in the process myself for my 22-6 when i get it. Snipers of years ago never had range finders and were able to make increadible shots using mil-dots alone.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Would you guys that use Leupold scopes recommend them?? I am gearing up for a new rifle and really want a very good quality scope.

Anyother Brands?

Jamie is your VX II 4x12x50?? Would you recommend it??
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use a 40 MM objective on all of my scope. I have not shot a 50 mm. They do gather more light. Most sit up about a 1/2" higher that a 40 MM.
Coyotes Forever