Dogs can really help

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Dogs can really help

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Once you think you have seen it all they always seem to surprise you. This coyote is from around the first of the year. I had been checking snares and had a pair of coyotes that just seemed to be missing my trail snares so with revenge on my mind and frustration in my gut i decieded to give them a chance to come to the call on the last stand of the night. I brought my pup with me more so to keep her from barking in the dog box then anything. I set up on a rocky point overlooking a very overgrazed pasture that butted up against a sage choked pasture that looked like good hunting grounds for them to start the evening in. I had got done with my second or third series when i seen a lone coyote come out of the sage into the wide open at about 700 yds working in real slow. He came to the only sage in the pasute i was looking over (a small circle 50ft in diameter) and disspeared. Wondering where he could of gone I studied the sage over and over through the binocs to no avail. Thinking he had a hole or some how got into a depression i couldn't see i decieded to take the dog and walk towards the sage patch and see if i could get him to stand up for a quick shot. When i figured i was 200yds out i layed down with the plans to let out a howl and see if i could get him to stand up or at least get a shot at him running away. I layed down to get ready and looked through the scope and spotted him laying in the sage looking right at me and the dog plain as day! This coyote had watched me cover 400yds across the wide open walking towards him in which i had to stand out like a telephone pole and just layed there waiting. I quickly sent a 32grain pill his way and went to collect my prize. I gave my dog a good petting after she got done giving the coyote the berries knowing she was the reason i was able to remove the coyote from the calving pastrue.

The coyote was not a pup but probably a 3-5yr old dog in the prime of his life until he made that mistake.

Just goes to show that you might as well try something even if you don't think it will work!

Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good post brad. You never know till you try it. good job
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

What an experience...nice job! I see you still have that CZ and the paint still looks nice.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ya i have been really happy with that gun probably the most underated gun manufature out there. Calhoon has gone to making his 19 calibers in them quite a bit and he knows his guns.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

That little pup is going to get a lot of coyotes for you when he gets a little older. Just another arsenal in the bag of tricks of a coyote hunter. Very fun to hunt with and exciting. Nice picture.