Tough to see

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Tough to see

Post by Prairie Ghost »

We have lost almost all of our snow here so the coyotes are getting real tough to see. Tuesday while checking snares (see "Snares" in trapping forum) my dog started barking in the dog box and i had two groups of coyotes howl at us. I decided to make one stand and see if I could get them to play. I started calling and immediately had a deep growly howl sent my way most likely the older dog of the one bunch. I kept calling and let the dog just run around. After about 10 minutes I seen what i thought was a small bird jumping from sage to sage only to get my binoculars up and see a coyote staring at me in the sage only fifty yards away locked onto the dog. :shock: I couldn't believe that he didn't stand out more than that. I raised the gun while he watched the dog and bang flop. I kept calling and 10 minutes later seen another one coming at 300 yds heading for the same sage as the first one. I waited and waited thinking he probably snuck in like the other one only this time i didn't see him. Finally movement caught my eye and it was at about my five o'clock coming down the fence. I made the move for the shot and the dog seen me so she went and stood between me and the coyote blocking my shot. The coyote got on the move again to get my wind at about 60yds as i was constantly moving around the rock pile i was in. Finally the coyote was postioned were the setting sun was right behind me and bolted. i got off a shot but it was as he was darting thought the sage and i was crossing my fingers.
The coyote ended up being a pup but that is one less babysitter this spring i will need to worry about

Last edited by Prairie Ghost on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

sweet, my calling has just sucked lately. 20-30 mph winds just about every day with gusts up to 50 mph. has been just about impossible. thank god for snares our I would have nothing to show for all my effort. I went through a bunch of trail snares on Saturday and seen lots of tracks but not a single coyote in any of the 90 or so I snares I checked. I pulled about 20 total and set a couple of new ones in a ravine I found some fresh tracks in. When the wind dies down a bit I am going to be trying to get after the calling but right now it has been pretty miserable.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Way to go brad!! The calling has sucked here as well lately i have been out a few times and seen some sign on almost every set but nothing wanted to come and investigate. The winds have sucked here too. I am getting excited for the full moon and get out to do some night hunting (granted its not going to be cloudy).
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

lyonch great time of the year for that
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Misery loves company I guess.Come in the door,change clothes,pour a cup of coffee and come here to see a number of others complaining about the wind.AMEN!
Was about -12 here this morning with a very strong wind when i left.Only place I could even try was to snowshoe back/forth across some ravine country trying to get lucky and catch one(or more)in a bottom.No luck in near white out conditions.Did likely freeze my nose again(old cross country snomobile racing thing)despite wearing moleskin on it and did find one bottom that was riddled with fresh tracks so wasn't a total waste.Yesterday was worse and truly unhuntable here.
Hopefully the wind goes down tonight cause this is likely the last help we'll get this year with respect to very cold weather.