Coyote color,fences and more.

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

Coyote color,fences and more.

Post by Dcoy »

Some may have read about my interesting day friday(except for the flat tire)in NoDak.(See NoDak thread in this foruum).
Could only hunt half a day saturday but it was interesting,Saw lots of coyotes(5)in just a few sets but shooting only at two.Got one and then there was the 'gimme'shot.Had a great set up high near the crest of a hill and 3 ravines meeting just below me.Sun at my back-in their eyes- and I was low enough below the crest it wasn't hitting me yet.I gave 2 howls with the electronic set about 50 yards to one side and then screamed out a rabbit distress with a hand held for about a minute or two.Within a couple minutes one pops up about 150 yds below me looking around.A dream deal and he didn't have a clue as I slowly adjusted the rifle downward on him and then touched her off.POW,Twang,and then fence bouncing,rolling on the snow in two directions.After all these years of shooting over,under and through barbed wire I finally had a direct hit!While still living in Mn and hunting lots of fox,fencelines were always key spots and I always expected to hit one but other than once or twice 'moving'a strand a bit,had never connected directly.Did saturday and I can confirm that a 55 gr BT out of a 243 at 4000fps will win if it hits the strand directly.It was so loud and the separate ends rolling around on the snow that I never got another shot before Mr Yote made it back around the corner and down his ravine.He's probably in central NoDak by now and still going.
The other thing was the coloration of some SoDak yotes this year.I have a few that are really red/dark and if I can get this pic on here it shows fridays 2 silvers from NoDak vs the 'red'from SoDak.Welcome any comments on that.Most of these 'reds are from North Central SoDak in a relatively small area???
In short a great weekend except for Sunday.The coyote gods payed me back Sunday-7 sets and zilch.Sorry the season is winding down!!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Well forget the pic I'm afraid.Maybe the boss will help me tonight.
By the way,ended up walking to a nearby deserted farm and finding some wire so I could mend the fence,then later decided I'd better tell the rancher anyway just in case.He laughed and said he'd check it in the spring.
One more question from Saturdays experiences.I had one respond to my electronic howls repeatedly.I'd howl,he(she???)would howl back.Was getting a little closer then just quit.Dead calm and I knew it was way off so I moved toward it,set up and howled again.It howled and barked back.Then I saw it out on a lake about half mile away.I'd howl,it would howl/bark back,then walk aways,sit down and 'wait'.I'd howl,it would howl/bark back.Did this 3 times then walked off the lake and never responded again.I backed out,was there in the dark(and fog) sunday morn but nothing.Any of you experienced callers care to explain what was going on?Comments on what I should have tried?
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

was probable another coyotes area he didnt want his butt kicked
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yeah, timid coyote, could have been a boundary issue. I would have probably backed out and came after it from a different direction and get as close as I could before start calling. Hard to say with out being there.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

A very timid and smart one.He made a fool out of me again today after responding to a couple howls with a couple of his(her?)own-then disappearing again.I'm leaving him,her,it, alone a few days.When I go back,I'm going with some sort of distress calling only I think.
All I've learned so far is that I've got a lot to learn. :cry:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

aren't coyotes fun.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:aren't coyotes fun.
I love how you think you have them figured out the night before the hunt, and when it comes to the next day and the coyotes embarrass the you know what out of you, Know thats fun :cry:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

i say a young coyote or has had a bad ordeal happen coming to a howl and got his or her ass kicked somewhere that they shouldn't be. But like coyotehunter said tough to say without hearing the howls it did and the howls you were doing.

Those are the ones that feel the best when you findly outsmart them and light the fire
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!