Illinois

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyote.223
coyotehunter

Illinois

Post by coyote.223 »

Any body out here from Illinois if so hows the coyote hunting doing for you
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi there.Knew I had seen an Illinois post here awhile back.Welcome.
Anyway,I'm not from IL but had to attend a fishing Show in Rockford this weekend and thought I'd respond with a little info.
A bowhunting friend from there who has a farm in the NW corner of your State(Jo Davies county)stopped by the Show to see me.He and the guy with him had seen 5 that morning on the way over to see me.Nothing while hunting but 5 on the hour drive over.I thought they were BSing me but they insisted they weren't.Then when we left at dawn this morning heading home we saw 3 between Rockford and the Wisconsin border so obviously you have good numbers of coyotes and your mating season is going strong.These were the only coyotes we saw in 22 hours or round trip driving.
By the way,these guys down there are getting pretty serious about coyote hunting after getting the bug bad after a couple trips here in SoDak with me.A couple of weekends ago I know they picked up 3 using their new Foxpro unit and basic distress calls only.They are hunting rolling hills with brushy treelines,CRP,woodlots etc.The guy running the call goes with a shotgun and the other is a ways away with a rifle.
I've bowhunted his farm three falls and see coyotes nearly every day.Also,its a rare night not to hear a bit of howling if we are outside.I'm actually thinking of heading down specifically for coyotes cause there sure doesn't seem to be much pressure.I suspect your only problem there is 'access' to land.
Hope this info helps a bit.Good hunting!
shootertim24

Post by shootertim24 »

i am also from ill. northwest ill. in stephenson cty. there is definitely not a shortage of coyotes up here and definitely not in jo daviess county. we hunt them from rockford to mt carroll. id say on an average year we kill between 200-300 coyotes. kill most of them with hounds but a few here and there by calling. the snow is a little sparse here now but we are still running hounds on the weekends and doing some calling in the evening. as to getting land access, its not as big of a problem as u wud think. starting to kill deer, been taking out livestock and the majority of people that call us complain that their pets are starting to disappear.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

How many guys and how many dogs? That is an impressive number. Whats the best you've done in a day with hounds?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
HuskerCoyoteCaller
coyotehunter

Post by HuskerCoyoteCaller »

I'd like to see some pictures. Man that's a pile of fur!
Coyote fever gotta love it! Go Huskers!!!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ditto
coyote.223
coyotehunter

Post by coyote.223 »

Prairie Ghost wrote:Ditto
cool me to
shootertim24

Post by shootertim24 »

during the week maybe 10 guys hunt and on the weekend its anyones guess as to how many guys. prolly as many as 35 for the bigger sections. id say we run between 15 and 20 different dogs on yotes. most of them are running walkers, blueticks and crosses between those two. the most yotes we have gotten in a day up here is 14. for the weekend i think the best is 19. sorry dont have any pics on here yet. i am working on it.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Wow thats putting a hurt on them
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I was talking with my boss who runs them in minnesota and he said the other day they hit 150 dogs for the year. they run about a 30 mile radius from there home and use 18 different dogs. they hunt everyweekend and some weekdays. I never asked what there best day was but this is what i have to compete with all the time in minnesota cause unless i wanna drive for more than an hour to call an area that doesn't get run. The reason i guess they dont get more dogs is that the guys they unt with have a hard time shooting them. It is a different wat than what i am use to but very effective if the roads are available to run them to.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
sniper81
coyotehunter

Post by sniper81 »

i live in niota illinois i would like to find some one who has dogs i think that would be some serious fun