Plans for wooden coyote silhouette

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Plans for wooden coyote silhouette

Post by Fallguy »

Yesterday we were out shooting our rifles at 300 and 400 yards, and I learned alot about how my rifle and loads drop at those distances. The next thing I want to get better at is estimating those distances and the holdovers. I want to cut some coyote silhouettes out of plywood. I would like to make some broadside and head on ones.

I want to make these as lifesize as possible. I don't have any coyotes right now to take some measurements. If anyone has some that you have made, would you be willing to share the measurments you used? I am looking for length, height of body from belly to back, width of chest, etc. I tried looking for "average sizes of coyotes" on the web but all I could find was weights. Thanks.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have a couple the box of my truck, I will get some measurments and let you know.
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Fallguy, if you really want to learn about your rifle and estimating distances, try shooting steep uphill and down hill targets. You will be surprised. What always amazed we is when you shot accross a valley ,what would appear to be a long ways,was a lot closer. That is where a good range finder comes in handy. The other thing that will help you is use your shooting sticks when your practicing. I'm sure you probably know that already. I have always found it more difficult at estimating distances uphill and downhill over just flat terrain.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Thanks coyotehunter. Get me those measurements I need an excuse to get out into the garage over Easter vacation. :P

Jerry- I do all my target shooting off of my sticks or my bipod in either sitting or prone positions. I don't shoot from a bench because the way I figure I won't be doing that hunting anyway.I had never practice shot at over 200 yards before until yesterday. We chose a closed road and set up our targets and shot my 223 and 243 at 200, 300, and 400 yards. Papapete shot his 22-250. I found my 223 to drop about 11 inches at 300 yard and about 25 inches at 400 with a 200 yard zero. My 243 dropped about 20 inches at 400 yards. I was shooting 50 grain V max in the 223 and 70 grain ballistics in the 243-all factory loads. This was all done on a flat terrain.

Overall I came out of that session very confident in myself as we had a coyote profile target and all of my bullet holes were covering an area the size of a volleyball and most were on the gray of the coyote's body on the paper. I probably shot 25-30 rounds at that target. All shot from my bipod either laying or sitting on the snowbank.

We also shot at some balloons dancing across the snowfield in the wind to practice a moving target. Some of those got away. :oops:

I think my next purchase this summer when I get some money saved up will be a rangefinder. I was going to get an electronic caller but I think a rangefinder would help me out more at this point.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

buy the Leica 1200 best buy for the money, you will be disapointed with everything else. I have a bunch of 7" x 9" gongs that have helped out a bunch over the years. nothing will put more coyotes in the back of your truck faster than never missing. :shock: I figure I should never miss a coyote at 250 yards on in. even most 300 yard shots should be a lay up. I start to cut myself some slack out past that. That is good practicing you are doing. if you want to get right down to it. A chronograph and a ballistics program is the final step of really getting anal about your loads. It does give you a real good feel for the gun and what it can do. I used to have gongs set up in one of my dads pastures that ran from 250 yards out to 525 yards. once it get comfortable with the gun these can get to be almost easy. the problem with coyotes is you just don't always have time to get a range on them. I just mounted a Mildot on my .22-6mm and I will see how that works out.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Years ago there was a group of us who would have a little contest out in the rough country. We would make a day of it and shoot coyote Sihouettes at different yardages. We packed a lunch and cooler and had a good ole time. Our targets would be unmarked distances and that made it kind of fun. You had so much time to shoot the different targets. Haven't done it for years now.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That kind of practicing instead of just sitting at a range on a bench working on squeezing the trigger can make a big difference.

More people need to sit down and practice at 3,4 and 500 yds myself included :oops:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

For 25 plus years I've been estimating distances everywhere I go.Driving and especially walking.Count paces,telephone poles,make bets,use rangefinders to verify,whatever,but distance estimation experience is free-take advantage of it.
As to rangefinders,Coyotehunter is right,go first class or I wouldn't go.Many out there will not read where/when you need it and you end of 'ranging'something nearby and then 'guesstimating'anyway.
After about 200,certainly 250,an equal problem becomes wind.Wind estimation is really tough-and hard to believe-for most.
Besides balloons,with a rapidly expanding jackrabbit population,thats some great 'moving'practice.
I have wind and distance tables on all my rifles-they help.I also have 'call the shot'written on my scopes-reminding me I SHOULD KNOW where the crosshairs where EXACTLY when she went off.(hours of free 'dry firing'at the TV helps there.)
Little tricks can be BIG.
Good hunting.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep dry firing is great practice.
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I have the Leica 1200 and love it. I also use it when I golf. Not a bad tool to have. Never have had a problem with it in cold weather.
coyotehunter

Post by 5.56 »

While I agree that the best practice is 'out in the wild', I do have one good thing to say about shooting from a bench.

If you spend some time on the bench while 'setting up' your rifle, your 'field work' will go alot smoother for you. The bench will get your rifle zeroed and you will know what that bullet is doing at various distances. For me, this eliminates trail and error while shooting in the field.

Learn your gun first! Then while you're learning your game (while setting by a warm fire), you'll be more confident once the shooting starts in the field.

While I am NOT a 'bench rest' type shooter, I do use them for barrel break-ins and zeroing my firearms.

Peace
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I will have to agree with you. That is good advice. I don't do much bench shooting either. If I get a new gun and working up a load I will bench shoot until I get it shooting . Then periodically I will take it to the range and shoot.
coyotehunter

Post by 5.56 »

Fallguy;

Sorry I highjacked your thread, by getting 'off target', but I found a Coyote paper target made by Birchwood Casey that you might be able to use as a template for your plywood target project. Good Luck!

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/ima ... 79_lrg.jpg
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

5.56 wrote:While I agree that the best practice is 'out in the wild', I do have one good thing to say about shooting from a bench.

If you spend some time on the bench while 'setting up' your rifle, your 'field work' will go alot smoother for you. The bench will get your rifle zeroed and you will know what that bullet is doing at various distances. For me, this eliminates trail and error while shooting in the field.

Learn your gun first! Then while you're learning your game (while setting by a warm fire), you'll be more confident once the shooting starts in the field.

While I am NOT a 'bench rest' type shooter, I do use them for barrel break-ins and zeroing my firearms.

Peace
ditto
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

chest - butt 23"
brisket - back 9"
with hair 14"
chest width 5"
nose - tail 44"
back of head - tip of nose 8.5"
bottom of jaw - tip of ears 8"
length of tail 14"
foot - top of back 20"
with hair 24"
sitting about 28"
width of head 5"

steel tape and 1 dead coyote in my garage. I hope that helps.
Coyotes Forever