Two gun setups

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyotehunter

Two gun setups

Post by 5.56 »

After viewing some of my Coyote DVD's again, I was wondering just how many folks set up a stand with one long range shooter and another shooter with a shotgun? I've never hunted this way, but I can see where it would be fairly productive.

I would also 'assume' that most who do use a 12ga. for the close range gun? Right?

Any particular pointers in this style of setup you'd like to share?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I hunt mostly by myself and do like to carry both a benelli SBII and my rifle. This does vary somewhat withthe time of year. With 2 hunters it is somewhat different. I will set up with the shotgun and the rifle off to my right. I seem to always have time time get on my gun. With 2 hunters, you can stick one guy out to catch the coyotes as they are going down wind. Les Johnson's first video show this style very well.The caller will pull in the coyote to the shot gun out front. You can also do this by yourself with a ecaller and a remote.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

My partner and I both carry a rifle and shotgun, very affective way to hunt coyotes
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

dont forget to carry that shotgun cause it has burned me before!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Most times of the year i carry a rifle and a 10 guage. It can cost you if you don't. If you start carrying both just remember the one stand of the day that you say ahhhh i'm leaving the shotgun in the truck you WILL need it :shock:

I havne't personnaly done a lot of setting up one guy as the shotgunner and one guy the riflemen but have seen others (les johnson does it very well) do it and have it work like butter
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Prairie Ghost wrote:If you start carrying both just remember the one stand of the day that you say ahhhh i'm leaving the shotgun in the truck you WILL need it :shock:
Great Quote, It should be put in the Predator Hunters Bible! Every Single time you don't bring the shotgun, you usually kick yourself in the ass on the way back to the truck because you wish you would of had it.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Well, I usually don't carry a shotgun here, unless i am hunting tall CRP or thick cover that will give me just cause. Most of my country is wide open and I make 5 mile or more walks thru the country away from the truck or 4 wheeler, to one or the other, so I like to be as light as possible. Carrying both is for you younger guys!!!! LOL!! You will get an ocasional hard charger and have to make a close running shot . Just doesn't happen enough for me to warrant carrying a shotgun all the time.

Calling in the timber in Iowa I did use it alot really not much need for a rifle, but you had to carry it because if you didn't one would hang up at 100 yards.
Randy Roede
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

I think if you can carry a shotgun into the stand it will be well worth the effort. I agree you probably won't use it very often, but the satisfaction you receive from shotgunning one makes hauling it in and out well worth it. If you pay attention to the little details in Les's videos or any other videos and apply them to your sets, I think your success rate will go up using the shotgun.

Hook and I have seen our success rate increase by putting a shotgunner in front or downwind of the caller. But don't let our secret out...

Take care.
Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not carry mine at all or at least rarely in the spring and summer. Just to worried about hitting one of my dogs. Plenty of time to shoot. In the fall and winter when the dogs aren't on stand with me as much I carry both. Hard charging dumb pups make shotgunning at close range my favorite way to knock them over on stand.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Jeff Rheborg wrote:Les's videos or any other videos and apply them to your sets, I think your success rate will go up using the shotgun.
Very Well Said!! Hes the master of the shotgun and getting them close!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"