coyote study-deer predation

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

coyote study-deer predation

Post by Dcoy »

Just got my latest issue of Bowhunting World.In the 'Whitetail Science'section there's an article about coyote predation on deer.(many still doubt it happens regularly).
Anyway,the article discusses a 'ground breaking research project' conducted at the U of Georgia during 2006 and 2007.In the study researchers compared fawn recruitment before and after intensive predator removal on a 2,000 acre parcel in northern Alabama.
Before,fawn recruitment showed a fawn to doe ratio of 0.42,extremely low.
After,removing 22 coyotes and 10 bobcats,the fawn to doe ratio was 1.24 the following year,which was 195 percent higher.
Shocked some friends but not me a bit.Walked a bit last week looking for sheds and found 4 'Kills'I'm sure were coyotes.
Interesting study although I know nothing about the 'controls',test methods,weather or other possible factors.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: coyote study-deer predation

Post by lyonch »

Interesting stuff.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I read somewhere deer vs coyotes fluctuates from region to region. If there are alot of rabbits and rodents in the area, a coyote's diet will consist of those little critters. If an area has few rodents then a coyote's diet will consist of something that is more abundant in the area, for example deer. Please correct me if I am mislead!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Levi,
I'm guessing you're right.Makes sense.I suspect they'll feed on whats the easiest to obtain.I still wouldn't want to be a new fawn though,even if I was laying in a gopher colony-maybe I should say,especially if I was laying in a gopher colony. :(
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I agree Dcoy, New fawns or even calves are easy pickings for a hungary coyote.

I really noticed near my hometown in MN that the Coyote are taking out alot of deer the past 5 years. I remember walking around last year and see 3 different eatin out deer carcuses with coyote tracks all around them. I have also noticed that there are not alot of rodents anymore either. I never see rabbits around my house, but 5 yrs ago there were hundreds or it seemed like it.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Of all the reading that i have done it seems like the coyote is the same as other predators when it comes to eating. I think they really compute a calculation in their head: Amount of energy spent vs. amount of energy to be gained from amount of energy spent. Its a pretty simple ratio. Why spend a ton of energy to pursue something that might not turn out where you can spend half the energy and pursue an easy meal. When im out hunting and call in a coyote i always wonder if he came to the call because he thought somebody was in his territory eating his meal, was he coming because he was just hungry, or was he just curious on what the heck was going on? Its a complicated puzzle. It seems like as soon as you think you might be getting a little piece of the puzzle to fit they throw a damn monkey wrench in the works and screw it all up for you :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

A coyote predation study was done in Minn. a few years back down by Rochester Mn. So many coyotes where trapped and fitted with radio collars and then set free. The area the study was in has a high population of coyotes and deer. Life exspectoncy is 3-5 years for a coyote in Minn.
Diet of a coyote consisted of bugs, plant matter,frogs dureing summer months. Dureing the winter they fed on small rodents such as mice, rabbits, squirells, pheasants, and deer that died from sickness, wounded by hunters or road killed. And some had house hold garbage and what not in there stomachs. Dureing the 5 year study no deer or livestock where killed by the coyotes as far as they could tell. The coyotes territory consisted of 3X5 miles and a little more for one male that ranged a little more than the others.
I got this info from the Miniaplis tribune or Sportman news paper a few years ago...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

There are a bunch of papers on this subject, concerning fawn recruitment. Its the new born fawns that get hit the hardest. In the Northern climates with the right snow contditions the adults can be targeted as well. I think for the most part though it is the new borns, the first 2 - 4 weeks that get hit the hardest.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

It makes alot of sense that the first couple of weeks they would be the most vulnerable. They would be easy pickings for a coyote. The fawn wouldn't have the ability to protect itself unless mom was with it 24hrs a day.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yes,deep snow-they eat well.
Also,they eat well if deer develop a regular ice crossing.(very similar to wolves in that respect although wolves are great 'drivers'and push them on the ice as well)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Coyote densities come into effect also. If there is enough coyotes that they are staying in "groups" they will take on larger prey as a group that will feed the whole group. Newborn fawns until they are probably a month old are just screwed no coyote is going to walk by that meal.

There was a study done in my area on the antelope herd. I have know been involved in this study on a small scale and the numbers in the years past have been astounding
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Those western coyotes can really raise hell on the big game herds and calves dureing calveing time..Some of my best calling has been around mule deer and antelope herds in the winter month's..