Scent Eliminators??????

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

WAREAGLE
coyotehunter

Scent Eliminators??????

Post by WAREAGLE »

WHAT KIND OF SCENT ELIMINATORS DO YALL LIKE TO USE?
I USE WHITE LIGHTING THE FIRST TIME I USED IT I KILLED A 7 POINT
AND HAVE HAD SOME CLOSE CALLS WITH IT
JUST WHANTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS USE :?:
SGT. KYLE
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Scent Eliminators??????

Post by LeviM »

pretty simple, I like using the wind! Its cheap, and in the Dakotas we tend to have enough of it!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

As levi mentioned. The wind is all you can use if you ask me. Yeah deer have good noses but when you compare it to a coyote the deers nose is like a humans if you ask me. I have seen coyotes wind me over 400 yards :shock: ! I feel that if you take the time that you used to put on the scent eliminator that jsut that much more time you could have spent on that stand trying to kill a coyote!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

LeviM wrote:pretty simple, I like using the wind! Its cheap, and in the Dakotas we tend to have enough of it!
LOL :lol:

I do not use any kind of cover scent for calling coyotes. I do think the carbon suits and coversprays when hunting out of a stand or blind (bear, deer,..) work great but I think watching the wind is the best advice when calling coyotes.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I just use coyote or fox urine and i wear my hunting clothes when skinning to pick up a little extra scent..
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi.Well there's a huge dispute as to the validity of the sprays and certainly as to the carbon suits etc.Visit any of the major archery websites,do a search,and you'd be overwhelmed.Want to start an argument?Thats the topic to trip triggers. :shock:
I don't argue about any of it anymore but here are my thoughts re coyotes:
You have to use the wind.Their noses are exceptional but also with guns and other repeatedly used gear,in/out of vehicles with your clothes/boots etc its impossible to 'keep clean'.You simply can't take the care or steps to try stay 'clean'that you can deer hunting or whatever.
If you want to use the 'sprays',keep in mind the whole industry started with cat piss odor remover-following that lead a bit or going to the archery sites and searching again will allow you to buy it in bulk or make/mix up your own cheap.The formulas are out there.
All this is not to say I'm not conscious of it,I try to minimize odor of all sorts on my gear and my coyote clothing hangs outside like my archery gear but I'm also not kidding myself.My dogs always remind me,I stink!Try to hide from yours-they'll make you every time if they are downwind.Heck,many times I've tried to deceive them and can't.Here's a simple test if you're an archer.Spray yourself,your bow,your hands/gloves and soak your arrow with any or all of the sprays.Now shoot it into some grass.Will guarantee my dog will find it.And then you'll know a coyote sure would.
I'll quit,just my 2 cents,and no argument intended or wanted.Good hunting!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Dcoy, nice post. I couldn't agree more. Life long bowhunter with to many deer to my name to even remember, I have the same thoughts. I do wash up, lots of baking soda in washing machine, carbon suit, rubber boots, and cover spray in the tree stand for bears and deer. I have seen the difference it can make but I do believe you have to do it all. cover up spray alone barely helps and not for long. Don't forget we all breathe and it is tough to stop the mouth odor. I have even tried the cover up gum on stand..........maybe I get a little over board with my bowhunting. But I do shoot a bunch of deer, very high success ratio. Coyotes, at this point in my life I do nothing and seem to kill a few. watch the wind and give yourself a shot down wind and you will be way ahead of the game. Dcoy is right, tough to stay "clean" with all the walking and getting in and out of the vehicle not to mention the gun.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

you will never fool a dog's nose!! Thats why the police have drug sniffing dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, dogs that track people down, ect. Its impossible to cover up your scent to fool a dog. Deer vs coyote in my opinion are oposites when it comes sense of smell. I have had people aruge with me that a deer can out smell a coyote, all I can do is laugh! The wind gives you the best advantage to keep your scent away from the coyote.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I've used all the scent stuff for deer before all the washing, spraying,plastic bags, peeing while on my knees to not splash my rubber boots etc.. well it made it not fun worrying about all so I stopped and just play the wind, ya I still spray and wear rubber boots, but watch the wind and thermal ups/downs. A few years ago I was the MC for the annual ND state bowman banquet and Chuck Adams was the speaker so we talked a bit and he put it this way " if you have coffee you smell coffee if you add cream you smell coffee and cream right?? made sense to me :? :wink: I have messed around with spraying dummies, balls,dead birds, shed antlers, with many diff. dogs and they all can find them, might not pick-em up after being sprayed but always found-em. So I always have a puffer bottle with and play the wind
a proud member of the "IF" team
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

LEVIM wrote "youll never fool a dogs nose" Hes right. and never fool with a coyotes nose youll lose :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

My opinon 75% of the battle when coyote hunting is not getting scented. If the wind is even questionable we hardly waste our time on a stand, unless we know there is a coyote out there. I have seen too many coyotes take off "laughing" because they got our scent. All it takes is the "very slightest" wind to ruin a good stand. We have a lot higher percentage killing coyotes when the wind is our favor.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

What you will usually find are callers with limited experience using things like scent eliminators, decoys, ecallers,special camo ,etc etc etc and it still puts the same number in their truck, so they either quit calling blaming it on something else. It makes for great advertising and video sales but does nothing more in most cases.

Higgin's misting does confuse coyotes and give the caller a chance to harvest those coyotes that have been called to a time or two, and take the wind thru existing cover to get to a caller. It doesn't cover or hide the human scent. They use a opening in the cover downwind to kill these coyotes. Will he stay there all day, no, but it may be long enough to get a shot. Without it and leaving cover downwind will result in a coyote being able to smell the caller without the caller even knowing he is there. Exceptions will happen but for the most part scent is something a coyote rarely questions.

A coyote has the ability to distinguish smells of different origins, you might say he can multi task with his nose. Able to smell your after shave, cig smoke, gas from fillin up your truck, what you ate from your breath, laundry soap, along with your human scent and your human odor, bacteria. over two millon of your skin cells die and fall of every second, the more skin you have exposed the more human scent you are putting out there. The longer you are there the more concentrated the area is.

Observe who is using what and why. Read between the lines!!

Your stand selection or choice of hunting or not hunting a certain area due to a wind that may flaw the stand are more important than any spray!
Randy Roede
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good points and good post Randy :!:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Randy I agree with all that you had to say. I do have a little giggle everytime I hear about Higgins and the "misting". I have done it with Bears while in a stand when they are just out of bow range paceing around in heavy cover. Could you ever imagine "misting" on stand ever in the west or mid west. I have hunted Az and Tx, Az a bunch. I can see no use for pumping away on a bottle in hopes of killing a coyote. If someone was telling me they where always getting busted by coyotes going down wind, I would be telling them to pick a better location to kill there coyotes. It may confuse them or may not. I just do not see the need, get set up right the first time and instead of pulling a trigger on a bottle you will be pulling the trigger on your gun. I do not know the guy and maybe he is a buddy of yours. I do not mean an offense to you though. If it gives someone confidence then what the hell. We had a stuffed red fox that we took with a few times years ago and got to see some very cool responses from coyotes on stand. I am sure we would have killed those coyotes anyways but it was neat to watch. Maybe the same thing with the spray.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have had the chance to hunt with Rich higgins, a great guy and he is in the top five for knowing the most about coyote behavior.
Az. has three different types of structure or cover, you have areas that are choked out with cactises and such, semi open country and and mountain and revines with alot of trees. The Misting does work and it works best when calling in heavey cover. Rich uses 3-4 different scents in his spray bottle and when a coyote smells them they pretty much loose all caution and will come in and hang around for awhile. The mist don't cover up the human scent it confuses them and trips there trigger. ( hunger, terr.,curiosity,greed, entertainment, social structer and competition)

I call wide open country so cover scents or misting is not needed, but if i was going to call corn fields or timber then i would think seriously about useing it...