.243 load

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: .243 load

Post by lyonch »

There has been some questions that have been asked in recent post that have not been answered. I would answer them but i dont shoot a .243 and dont have a legitimate answer to post. On the other hand it is getting old listening to how the BC rating on a bullet effects your down range performance. I think you have gotten the point across after the first few times you posted it. You obviously have your reasons why you need a high BC. If you read between the lines this post has turned from what bullet (with specific bullets asked) perform better; to a post of who can make the farthest shot. So instead of bragging about shooting most of the coyotes at 300 yards plus on the run, things should get back on topic and keep the chest pounding to the PM's.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

:roll: AMEN :roll:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Not chest pounding a discussion on why one would choose what they do. I'm sure there are plenty of better shots than me. Math is hard to deny though. good day!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Back on subject, does anyone have any good loads for a .243. where should a I start, I am new to reloading. Like I mentioned before, I like to shoot alittle faster, so I would perfet the smaller grain bullets.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Levi,
I love light,fast bullets and,wind or no wind,they kill fast out to 350-400 regardless of BC.Try 55 gr Nosler BTs with 52.5 grains of H414.Might like it.I know 3 guys who use that load and wouldn't think of anything else for yotes.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dcoy-

Do they work good with a 1:9 twist? or are they too light of a bullet
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Levi,
Can't tell you that for sure.The guy I hunt with a lot uses that load in a model 7 Rem and gets very good accuracy out to 300.He has not tested beyond that but I'm not sure of the Rems twist.
Its a pretty 'hot'load so maybe work up to it if you decide to try it.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

If your remington has been built in the last 10 or so years they have a 1-9 1/8 twist! Smaller bullets carrying alot of FPS would be better suited with a min of 1-10 or even 1-12. You can go online and find the ideal twist rate for any caliber bullet and weight.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Levi,

Coyotelatrans is correct, and does a nice job with info. I think, anyway.

If I shot a modern 700 in .243, liked speed, and didn't handload --- my first ammo purchase would be HSM in 75 Vmax. Cabela's bulk 100 count for $84.99 ($16.99 per 20). HSM claims 3300 fps, and your twist rate will definately favor the Vmax 75's long bearing surface. The difference in trajectory using a 75 Vmax at 3300 vs a 55 BT at 3900 is insignificant with a 250 Y zero, and'll buck the wind much better + they probably hurt! Now keep in mind that I'm misunderstood as often as anyone so what I do and what other people choose to do...

On 55 grain: As the previous post notes, check out a twist rate chart by a barrel maker (Lilja has one on their site). They don't even publish a recommended twist for a 55 grain in .243.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Levi,
Some people just read too much.Try the 55s if you like speed and flat shooting.
At times and at certain ranges,'BC'stands for bull crap.For example,at 250 yds the 70 spire point(BC of about 269 according to Hornady)at 3300 will drift as much-or more-than the 58 Vmax(BC of about 250 according to Hornady) at 3800.(or better yet,at 4000 fps)So why not get their first,fast,and flatter?
And,don't get 'twisted'out of what you want without trying it yourself.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks for the replies everyone, Very good informative information.

Dcoy-

Good post, alot of truth to it!! :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

I'm willing to bet that many 55 grainers suffer overstablization in .243 barrels with faster twist rates.

Meaning the bullet is spinning so fast that once it reaches the top of the arc the nose stays up while the base starts to drop. Problem is most shooters are unaware of overspin since the bullets should print fine and accurate on a target out to the scope's zero range--- The bullet doesn't lose stability until after it starts to drop. Way to find out is shoot some paper targets at least 100 yards past your zero and see what happens.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Bullets start dropping as soon as they leave the barrel.Its called gravity. :D
The answer is try them,don't assume anything based on something that most who 'write'have never tried or even contemplated.None of my reloading books even mention 55s but now they are sold(factory ammo)in gas stations.
Pilgrim,I remember the days when the same argument was made about trying 20 grainers out of the 17 Rem.Ha,now you have the 17 Fireball that uses them as standard.(the 17 mach 4 boys with the same 'twist'are using the ammo as well I'm told)I don't want to belabor this nor tell Pilgrim what I really think(I still have to hunt with him)but mine shoots 55s very well as far as I can see and Levi already has the gun so that decision(twist)is made,try em is all I'm saying.If his shoots like the other Rems I know of,he'll be happy.
As to 'BC',when I get time(hunting 11 hrs a day now :mrgreen: ),I intend to tweak a few noses on that sacred cow in a separate post.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Dcoy .19 BC is not much and your correct there won't be much differance at 250 yards! BC starts to take hold after 300 yards and when you add more wind! I would love it when you have time to discuss BC rating and how you will debunk math and physics! I also agree with Pilgrim start grouping them at 300 yards if you have a 200 yard zero and see if they print as well/small as a different bullet that matches more closely the preferred twist rate of "your" barrel!

get their first no big deal I want it to hit at the point of impact I'm aiming at. Flatter is relative as I would rather be a tick slower and have more consistant groups than zinging out at 3,800 fps with a flyer or larger groups! I would give up 2" of drop for more consistant groups at longer ranges myself.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Levi 55's will work fine I shoot them out of mine. Ignore all this BC BS cause you and I both know most of the stuff we hunt the coyotes come in to 100yds ar less and the chances of getting all settled in on one at 300yds or more in the rough stuff are well slim to none as are long range follow up since they are most of the time out of sight after the first miss. We are not shooting comp. here or spotting long range coyotes and trying to sniper them we are shooting called coyotes. I will try to get my stuff to you this weekend Levi or I could send you some of my loads and you could try them at the range :roll: lets give the BC and bullet stabilization a rest already.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...