Why do you love hunting coyotes?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jessie
coyotehunter

Why do you love hunting coyotes?

Post by Jessie »

Hi guys, I have been asked to do a journalistic type paper in one of my courses. I have finally decided to look into my husband's ultimate passion - COYOTES. He is on this site quite often... I would appreciate it if you could provide summaries as to why coyote hunting becomes an obsession. Just a few sentences is fine. I am not looking for people who simply like to hunt coyotes, I am looking for explanations from those of you who are obessed, as I have heard one person say, "I eat, breathe, and s**t coyotes." How does this happen? :D

Thanks for your help!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Why do you love hunting coyotes?

Post by lyonch »

The main reason i do it is because it is the biggest challenge and i will never perfect it. In my opinion the coyote is the smartest animal that mother nature has to offer. They are the most adaptable creature and will never become extinct in my lifetime! I look at coyotes like humans cause every one of them has a different personality some are unfearful and crabby while others are pussies. You will get a lot of opinions on this one.
Last edited by lyonch on Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

LOL, that's great. I love the metaphors. Thanks.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I forgot to mention that there is no bigger rush than hunting a hunter!!
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

The Challenge!! Calling in a predator in can be tough! Plus its an absolute adreneline rush watching old Wile E coyote coming across the prairie
Last edited by LeviM on Mon May 19, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Coyotes are unpredictable as soon as you think you have them figured out they throw the curve ball unlike deer, ducks, pheasants ect.

Becoming the hunted as a pack of four coyotes rushes in on you is unmatched for adreline rushes.

In a lot of places across the nation the coyotes is at the top of the food chain (behind us of course)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I hunt them for the excitement, challenge, Rush, I like to put up there fur and then sell it for some extra cash. And i'm good at it.....
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

I don"t reply much but I have been asked this question before. Not many people have the patience or will power to hunt them. You can't just go out and shoot a coyote here. At least not where I live. Not like bird's and deer. If you don't spend the time to learn anything about them you will fail more often than not. The more you learn the more you become obsessed with them. The other thing is you don't have to eat them. I have shot, trapped and snared them but the satisfaction received from taking one is a trophy no matter how many you have taken.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Red Fox wrote:The more you learn the more you become obsessed with them.
Great point! Very well said!

I like to add another point, I think most of us get a lot satifaction putting up fur and selling your work! The most beautiful site is seing a few pale coyotes perfectly put up hanging on the wall!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

Great! I also like this line by redfox:
"The more you learn the more you become obsessed with them."

I am really trying to play up the obsession, fixation aspect. To me it really seems like coyote hunters become enchanted by the coyote: the chase, the rush, beauty, the challenge.

At the end of this I might not be able to understand the fixation, because that's not me :) but hopefully I will be able to see how it can happen. Just like some of you might not understand your girlfriend's/wife's obsession with shopping.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I challenge anybody who enjoys hunting to try to hunt coyotes. There is something about the coyote that just can't really in my opninion be put into words. When he is coming to the call and hunting you because you are making the sound of food to him and he busts you because he caught movement by you or somehting didn't look in place to him and you never get him you look at everything that you did right and what went wrong! Nobody can call themselves a pro or an expert at coyote hunting! I will gurantee you that if somebody says that they are an expert at coyote hunting they have obviously never hunted them long enough. As red fox mentioned the more you learn about them the stronger the obsession comes is 100% true. Anybody can run a coyote with a truck or push them like deer in which can be a very productive way to hunt them but the fixation for many comes when they come to a call :!:
Chris Lyon

Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

coyote hunting brings me places I normaly would not see, mnts,desert,prairies etc.. and to be somewhere like this and break the silence of the silence of the day with the sun coming up or setting, only to have a coyote call back to me, gives me such a rush that words can not even explain :D :( :o :shock: 8) The shooting and the kill,the misses and mistakes are all an emotional roller coaster, I also love the terms us coyote hunters come up with,Bang Flop,Lolli Pops and Dirt Naps,Top of the food chain, On the Run. "O" so many more :mrgreen:
a proud member of the "IF" team
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Jesse, Hey thanks for this post it made me think about it alot :)
a proud member of the "IF" team
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

Can you explain what those terms mean? - "Bang Flop,Lolli Pops and Dirt Naps,Top of the food chain, On the Run."

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could provide a description of the coyote howl, not exactly the sound but maybe the feeling you get when you hear it. When I have heard it out in the country camping with my husband, etc it sounds very haunting, can you elaborate on this?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Voice of a coyote-The Howl. It is so deeply associated with the west of old. Nothing says "Cowboy Up" more than a Rank Male coyote screaming out a Challenge Howl in hopes of picking a fight. Watching him come over a ridge all bristled up with the full intention of tearing things up. I thought also about the question -obsession with coyotes- I do not how I got to this point, not unlike a drug addict turning tricks to get a fix. I can see me sitting in a circle at a group session talking about my addiction. Sharing how it has effected my family, work, and personal hygiene. My friends sneeking in little bottles of lure for me to sniff, sharing lure recipes with the other addicts, and telling stories about the "High" I get when I get my mojo on. It all started innocent enough, just spending another cold day in the house did not seem to be an option. Just going to go out and try to howl in a coyote. No big deal. Been hunting my whole life. :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, before you know it I am running tournaments, web site, and working full time controlling coyotes for ranchers in Wyoming. The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem.......Hello, my name is coyotehunter and I am an addict.
Coyotes Forever