Why do you love hunting coyotes?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jessie
coyotehunter

Re: Why do you love hunting coyotes?

Post by Jessie »

It's really amazing to get view points on what coyote hunting means to everyone. I am actually in the part of my essay where I am talking about the effects my husband's fetish has had on our relationship. I am starting out with the word "fetish" because that is how one would see it before researching. Now I understand it is a manic obsession. The coyote has become an enchantress. The hunt is an intriguing, strategic fixation. This paper is from my point-of-view, more of as a wife trying to understand her husband's passion that she has no idea or interest of, but because of the effect it has had on their relationship, she has to discover the meaning behind the coyote hunt. I love the insight everyone is providing.

When I hear a coyote howl it is a haunting sound, it's scary. But that is me, a woman who has never hunted it and probably never would :) But it's interesting that coyotehunter relates this to the Old West. I have discovered just how adaptable the coyote is, how their sound reminds you of the Old West but the coyote has actually becine a modern American, adapting to the ever changing melting-pot and forever fighting to stay at the top.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Jessie wrote:Also, I would appreciate it if someone could provide a description of the coyote howl, not exactly the sound but maybe the feeling you get when you hear it. When I have heard it out in the country camping with my husband, etc it sounds very haunting, can you elaborate on this?
When an elk hunter hears that bugle in the woods and hes getting closer they say it will make the hair on the back of your kneck stand up :shock: Well for me hearing a coyote howl does the same thing. As Tbush has mentioned it takes you every where for scenery. Jessie when you finish that paper is it possible for you to post it one the site so that some of us can read it and get your side of the story. I think it will be very interesting to see what someone outside of coyote hunting thinks about it when there significant other is addicted to coyote hunting :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem.......Hello, my name is coyotehunter and I am an addict.
Hello Jamie! I too am an addict! HEHEHE :D The sound of of coyote howl is makes my heart beat 10x faster everytime! Its scary crazy adreniline!!! I would love to just sit outside at night and listen to a pack of coyotes howl! Its an awesome sound
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Jesse some of the terms, Dcoy says Bang Flop when he shoots a coyote and has made a good clean shot. lolli pops means heres some candy ( the call ) come and get it and when a coyote comes in i'll give it a dirt nap ( kill it ). On the run, means you might have missed and now try and shoot -em running away, anybody else got some cool terms?? I to am a coyotehunter.net addict :lol: As to the howling are you looking for a discription of what a howl means because there are so many diff. types??
a proud member of the "IF" team
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

Yeah, I can see if I can post this. It will probably be a couple of weeks. I have to forewarn you though, it has started taking a different turn than I had originally anticipated. At first I wanted to learn about coyotes, the hunt, the effects they have on agriculture and cities, etc if they are not controlled. I then wanted to portray this from my point of view. But now as I have started writing it has become more personal. It's really more of a love story about me and my husband. However, the central focus is on the rift his passion-coyote hunting has had on our relationship and in order for me to overcome this I had to become as adaptable as the coyote. I had to research his passion, try to understand how he to could become an addict. It's really difficult for noncoyote hunters to wrap their minds around how someone could be so addicted to this, so I guess I am trying to explain that.....

Anyways, it might not be as factual or as much about just hunting as some of you may like. But I do think some of your significant others might appreciate....
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

Tbush, no I don't think I am looking for what the howls mean. I would like more of a nostalgic-type feeling you get when you hear the howl. It is such a distinct sound and I think it makes everyone feel a little differently. Also, what does it sound like to you? Basically, can you provide a few sentences on what runs through your mind when you hear the howl?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

What runs through my mind??

Holly Shit there are coyotes in ear shot away!!! What direction is the wind from?, what cover are they in? How am I am going to get closer, without them busting us? What sounds should I use? How many did we hear? Game on!! Location, Location, Location!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

a warm fuzzy feeling :wink: knowing the game is on and a million things cross my mind. how many, where are they,can they see me now, can I move,how should I answer,should I answer?,Idid see a wood pecker maybe a bird in distress,no no I saw ctton tail tracks maybe a bunny cry,o no there goes a doe and a fawn maybe a fawn cry, is my gun loaded,I'm I facing the correct way, Jesse, the feeling changes so fast and different in different set ups it hard to nail down to "A" feeling, "O my god" there he is standing on the hill looking my way what should I do, "O my god theres another I'm going to pee my pants!!! :shock: Here they come I'm shaking so bad I hope I can make the shot, "o my god another just howled" I did piss my pants :oops: You see its a emotional roller coaster and thats why I love It :D hope this helps the writer in me came out a bit (sorry) :mrgreen:
a proud member of the "IF" team
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Jessie,
Hi.I'm just another broken down old coyote chaser with little to offer toward your essay but don't worry a bit about posting your essay here because its not all about hunting.Despite my age I've got nothing at all against a good fetish or two.Bring em on! :D
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The coyote howl: The true sound of the western prairie. Some say it will be the last sound heard on earth, I for one have nothing that i would rather listen too or fall asleep in a tent to then a pack of coyotes doing a group yip howl just because they can. A coyotes howl is the true meaning of wild to me it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and brings a smile to my face every time still to this day ( unless i thought i had that sheep ranch cleaned up already)

Jessie i think some of the reason that coyote hunters seem to have more of an obsession then deer hunters, duck hunters ect is because the ones that don't have that obsession don't last they give it up due to not being successful.

Coyote hunters: handing out lollipops and dirtnaps! sorry were fresh out of lollipops

I always say you're not an alcholic unless you go to meetings. LOLOLOL

Hi my name is Prairie Ghost and I've been a coyoteaholic for most of my life........crowd replies Hi Prairie Ghost......and the session starts
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

Hi my name is Jessie and my husband is addicted to coyote hunting. To all of those out there who have been affected by the coyote hunter this is for you:
1. Hear our story-learning to live with an addict
2. You can overcome this
3. Unfortunately, it does not involve detox
4. You are the coyote - if you are still in the picture

Do you feel like you are competing with the coyote? Is the coyote your lover's first love? Would your husband/boyfriend rather spend his freetime with the coyote than with you?

If you can answer "yes" to these questions than you may be married/dating an addict. What can yo do about this situation? Get out or deal with it.

Ok addicts, do you like? Or is this too extreme? To summarize, my essay has turned into a young girlfriend, then young wife, to a young mother, competing with the coyote. However, in the end if she wants to stay in the picture she has to adjust to the coyote just as the "real-life" coyote has to adapt to the ever-changing America. Don't worry I have provided facts about coyote hunting, how the coyote is the trickster, and the coyote is a threat to agriculture, in the essay. I just want you all to know that you have helped me learn a lot and not make this essay too serious but at the same time lighthearted to those of us who have had to deal with addicts-coyote addicts.

I will still have questions, the essay is not finished, but wanted you to get a feel for my progress.... :D :D :D
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi Jessie.
Here are my thoughts on the direction of your essay.
Is it extreme?Maybe,unless your readers can understand or appreciate the background and context of your situation.My concern would be that a 'class'almost anywhere today would not have the background to understand this at all.Your captive audience here understands it well but,frankly,non hunters visiting this or similar sites would likely find it abhorent in todays world.In my view it will be difficult in a short essay to convey the necessary background to 'understanding'.I fear you will face skepticism and 'rolling eyes'-or worse.
On a more personal level,I think your aim is slightly off.I think you are competing with a basic instinct,the 'hunter' in your husband,not the coyote.The coyote is merely reflecting that instinct cause,as you've seen in many responses here,the coyote brings out the best aspects of that instinct.Certainly the best aspects in todays world where we are so removed from true survival on our own that it takes a super challenge such as coyote hunting to satisfy the desire of true,serious hunters vs simple killers.The 'enchantress'is inside him,not the coyote he pursues to satisfy 'her'.
I previously have stayed away from giving you reasons I hunt coyotes-I don't know you and,no offense,but I'm skeptical as heck about non hunters writing about hunters in todays PC world-(actually not writing,just getting it wrong).Essays,articles,news sound bites,whatever about 'hunting',absent background and understanding,often do more damage to hunters than good.Done inadequately,hunters come off as weirdos,killers,or worse.
I'll end this with a thought to ponder though,albeit a less romantic one.Some of us hunt,at least in part,cause the coyote is a challenge to our supreme predator status.We often lose that challenge but thats fine cause we play be rules that vary from individual to individual.Deep down though,the rather sinister nature of 'man'knows that if necessary,we can prevail,one way or another.After all,we initially domesticated wolves and coyotes to serve our own needs.
I'll quit.You have great insight and a delightful,inquisitive,thinking,mind-I hope your audience does.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Jessie wrote:If you can answer "yes" to these questions than you may be married/dating an addict. What can yo do about this situation? Get out or deal with it.
That is one of the best lines i have heard in a long time :D Thats something that levi and i should print off and hang on the fridge at home right fella :wink: It is starting to sound like a coyote addict can relate a lot to a smoking/nicatine addict. The longer you do it the harder it is to quit :mrgreen: may many more years of addiction stick with all of us :twisted:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Jessie
coyotehunter

Post by Jessie »

Dcoy, thank you for taking the time to provide your opinions and insight. I especially appreciat this information:
I think you are competing with a basic instinct,the 'hunter' in your husband,not the coyote.The coyote is merely reflecting that instinct cause,as you've seen in many responses here,the coyote brings out the best aspects of that instinct.Certainly the best aspects in todays world where we are so removed from true survival on our own that it takes a super challenge such as coyote hunting to satisfy the desire of true,serious hunters vs simple killers.
I understand how sensitive this topic is and it is important how the story is told. I am well aware of the skepticism of non-hunters. When I have finshed what I hope to be my final draft I would love to send it to you before seeing if I can post it on the site. You have to keep in mind that there will be parts in it that you may not find funny, or other hunters for that matter. I don't want to offend anyone but they are funny to me and I am trying to use my voice and show my point-of-view on my husband's passion.

Thanks again for the insight.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi Jessie!
I really doubt you will offend anyone here and i sure don't have anything to say about whats posted here either.From what you've said I think your views will be very well received here-and in my view,if they weren't,I wouldn't worry about it anyway. :D On the otherhand,I'd be happy to review and comment if you wish.i suspect it will be very good.(pearsondp@yahoo.com)
Glad you liked the 'instinct'point.I think its accurate and that it sure sounds like your husband nourishes the instinct.Might as well since its a fact we all have it to some extent-even the dam PETA types no matter how much they desire to repress and deny it.IMO its too bad they have a survival instinct though. :D