yote hunting in june

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kodiak_vs
coyotehunter

yote hunting in june

Post by kodiak_vs »

Quick question for ya. I am going prarie dog hunting near shields north dakota at the end of the month. We are thinking about doing some yote hunting while we are out there as well. I was wondering what tactics a guy should use during the summer months. What kind of calling we should be doing. I have a johnny stewert electric call that i can put different cards into. If anyone has some tips that would be really great.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: yote hunting in june

Post by Coyotehunter »

Your best bet is to locate your coyotes before sitting down to call. At dusk the night before or even the morning of just before sunrise will get you close enough for what you want to do. If you get on some coyotes in a denning pocket a couple of howls or pups yelps will get things rolling for ya. You only have a few hours in the morning, once it starts getting warm out you will be done for the day.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Get your coyotes located before calling and get as close as you possibily can. Stick to howls and pup distress if you have a dog bring it!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

If your cold calling the pups in distress can get you a adult but seems to make the young run for cover, some light calling with a rodent in distress, the pups are competitive of each other and curious, seems like if you scream at them to much they the run a hide, and like CH & PG said howling a bit always works. standing on the deck 2 nights ago a few young let go and I just yip howled with my mouth (not the best but our deaf old lab woke up) a few min. later they let let out a few more yip howls and I'll be damed if they didn't come closer?? it was cool 8) then nothing?? Hey good luck and let us know how it goes?
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tbush is right if you are going to get close enough and want to call in the juveniles then stay away from pup in distress that will send them diving for holes or brush. IF you want to call in the adults get as close to the juveniles as possible and and start howling and pup distressing it can get really interestin fast.
kodiak_vs
coyotehunter

Post by kodiak_vs »

Hey guys, just got back from the trip. it was about 450 miles but it was well worth it. We shot quite a few prarie dogs, it was hard though with a 35-40 mph wind. Only saw one yote while we were there, so that was a dissapointment. Didnt get a shot on him, he was hauling the mail about 300 yards out.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Did you try any calling or did the wind keep you stuck on the bench?