Sound Supressors

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Garydo38

Sound Supressors

Post by Garydo38 »

I am just wondering if Sound Supressors are legal in Texas. I just bought an AR-15 and the guy I bought it from said he just got a supressor for his. I asked him if it was legal and he said it was. But other people have told me other wise. I would think he knows what he's saying if he's selling at a gun show. Right?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Sound Supressors

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well, I am no expert on this subject but I do think there is a difference in a Suppresor and a Silencer.
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

A sound suppressor/silencer/moderator/cans, they're all the same thing.

You can find this info on the ATF website.

States that allow private ownership: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD,MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA,WV, WI, and WY.

States that do NOT allow ownership: the other 14 not listed.

I hope that helps.

deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I did not know that. How do you go about getting licensed for using one?
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

wouldn't that be awesome to call in a triple and non take off running cause they dont really hear the shot liek they normally due. Jamie if you get your hands on one i bet wyoming will never be that same :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thats all we need is Jamie running around with a silencer! Nothing good about that :?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Actually when you have a coyote coming in and it sticks up out there, if you miss it doesn't matter. What happens is the sonic crack will hit behind him and actually make him think that you shot from behind and the critter runs towards you vs away. It still sounds like a shot, it isn't fully quiet.

First you find a suppressor company that you want to purchase the suppressor from, for example, AWC, AAC, SRT, SWR, Gemtech, Jet....etc. then line up a Class 3 firearms dealer in your area that will purchase one for you. Get a check for $200. for the gov. tax stamp, also called the transfer tax. and another check for the price of the suppressor. The $200 goes to the ATF with a paper that has a description of the suppressor, and serial #, your chief of polices signature, two sets of finger prints and two passport sized photos and it all gets sent in and it take about 6 to 8 weeks after your dealer has the suppressor for the feds to ok you.

Then when it all goes through, you get a smith to cut some threads and you're set.

I hope that helps clear things up. It really isn't to bad to get, The biggest thing is breaking the bank for the 800 - 1000 suppressor and the 200 tax stamp. They are spendy.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

there is a class III dealer in Casper who sells Gemtech. I talked with him yesterday morning and it does not seem to big of a deal to get one. some cost involved and time but very dueable. once I get the final cost figured out I will let you know.
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'd definitly do your homework. Gemtech is kind of a cheap brand, they make some good cans and the others are just crap. If he can order from gemtech then he can order from any other manufacturer. I'd go with something on the lines of AWC or AAC. Both are very good cans. I'd look at their websites.

my first pick would be AAC
http://www.advanced-armament.com/index.asp

second would be AWC
http://www.awcsystech.com/?gclid=CLfjx8 ... IgodFxg7Uw

check out this website for a forum.
http://www.silencertests.com/

other suppressors
http://www.gem-tech.com/
http://www.sas-llc.us/
http://www.srtarms.com/
http://www.swrmfg.com/products.asp
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.htgsilencers.com/htgsilencers.com/HOME.html
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00
http://www.jetsuppressors.com/

Look into the decibel (dB) rating, and the weight and length of each can. Do a comparison, and if possible shoot a few different ones to pick the one you like, it's an expensive tool, you'd better like it.

I hope that helps.
Deano
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks for the help, your right, I would just as soon do it right the first time. I will check out those sites as well. I am kind of thinking about putting one on my .22 mag rem. 597. Any thoughts on this combo, or any other caliber.
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Well what I was told when I started to look into suppressors is that if you even have an thought about using a larger caliber rifle, go with the larger can. For example if you're shooting a 22-250 but think you might upgrade to a 6.5-284 or 308, go with a 30 cal can so you can utilize all your weapons without having to buy a can for each one, plan for the future.

Another thing is quick attach, they are kind of over rated. They don't seal quite as well and let blow back gas through which makes your dB go up. Plus if you're just putting it on a couple of guns, you can only shoot one gun at a time anyhow, so what's the point.

They are definitely a great tool. When I've compared suppressors the AAC stayed on top in everything. They have a contract with the military so you know that they're on top of their game. Other companies as well have contracts with DOD.

They use to have a comparison on silencertalk, but it is no longer in service.

Deano
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

dean- good stuff,

we had the folk from MN, I believe fish and wildlife folks who had used some supressors on deer, and a guy from sd who uses them give us a demo at our annual meeting.

We had 22 rimfires with the suprressed barrel, by which i mean no can on the end the whole barrel needed to be added and that was very quiet, the action noise was louder than the actual sound of the round going off.

They had a 223 and a 308 also and although they were quieter than without and by no means would multiple coyotes stand still at close range after a shot, like you stated unless using sub sonic ammunition and then dealing with the rainbow of tragectory at extended ranges and reduced energy the trade off was very limited.

I have used subsonic 22 rimfire on beaver here in town and there is very little reduction in noise from a regular 22 rifle. The only thing that was effected was point of impact at any extended range. You need a gun you can devote totally to shooting that type of ammo.

The cans did reduce muzzlejump from the 308 quite a bit, the advantage most of us liked the most. You were able to see the bullet hit the target thru the scope easily. It reduced recoil and muzzlejump.

The advantage of the cans on a stand would be multiple coyotes coming in on stand not all at the same time but staggered, without them hearing the muzzleblast from the first. IMO. On a dead calm day they would still hear it, but any wind maybe not!!

The guy also stated that coyotes at 400 yards on a windy day that were shot at couldn't hear the shots that went over them and would occasionally allow for another shot or be confused as to where it was coming from. Like you stated. Although this is seen without a can on the widndy days and a shot that passes over the animal on occasion. Shots that were hitting the dirt nearby would spook them as you can imagine. On a fairly calm day a coyote within 400 yards with a canned centerfire whatever he will know where the shot came from.

As for the couplers he had both, with the screw ons he said taking them from rifle to rifle the screw ons accuracy and scopes staying on target was an issue vs. the quick couplers that wasn't as much of an issue if any at all,

The bottomline was that it wasn't like in the movies,LOL!!!!!

The cost was the issue, cost vs. gain, as a toy yea there cool but actual gain on a stand??

They would reduce muzzleblast around the decoy dogs in the summer. They sure wouldn't hurt anyhing as long as accuracy isn't effected. Cost being the major issue like you said.

The cans in a PD dog town may keep the dogs up longer, or on sleepin reds on the prairie could allow for better follow up shot if needed. The 22 rimfire was awful quiet it's just not an effective caliber to have on stand.

It's only money, I guess if $800 -$1000 bucks on this is reasonable to a caller the cost of all the other things should be unimportant also.
Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the ACC rimfire suppressors are about $350-$450. They are illegal to use for hunting purposes in most states, wyoming does not allow it. I do alot of target shooting with my .22 mag, when I shot league and occasionaly competively I would shoot upwards to 1000 rounds a month off hand at gongs from 75-200 yards. Standing on the deck was where I spent most evenings until dark shooting at gongs in the pasture. I would be more interested in just reduceing the ear damage and irritating all the neihbors. Nothing beats ear muffs but would like to see if it would be worth the cost to picking one up.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

"Like in the movies" LOLOLOLOL

You would definetly look like a mean SOB walking out in the pasture!! :lol:

I could definetly see some advantage with the decoy dogs and picking up the mate if they aren't working the dogs well.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Does the suppressor effect your down range accuracy? I am just curious if you take that 400 yard shot; if the suppressor would throw off the shot or diminish the accuracy of your shots all together.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!