best hunting times

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

best hunting times

Post by rhino »

In hunting magazines you will see charts that show best feeding times during the day for fishing and hunting (mostly deer I would guess). This would mean the best times to hunt I guess. Does anyone know if there is any information on best hunting times for predators? Are there certain conditions that are ideal for hunting coyotes. I just thought I would ask to see if anyone has read that before. Just curious really.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: best hunting times

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have found as a general rule that hunting before or after a storm (some barometric influences), a drop in temp., and you may find that some wind directions are better than others for your area (for calling). I also see more animals in traps before a storm comes through, and after a good temperature drop.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I like to watch the moon phases, and hunt on cold days. in all actualality, any day is a good day to hunt
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Any day, All day. I use prey distress and hope for a food response and if they are not hungrey then switch to vocals and work on a terr. response..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Tim Anderson wrote:Any day, All day.
:D
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The only time i really dont pursue coyotes is in an absolute blizzard or in sheets of rain!! Other than that if i have an opportunity get out there. I am like Levi, temperatures and moon phases have played a role on how to pursue them, at that time!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The only consistant stuff that i have myself witnessed is before and after a storm.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I see a couple of you said moon phases. if there is any truth to this. what moon phase is better?
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I hunt/fish when I can and have seen/read studies on this going every which way but I'm not convinced by much of it.For me it would be dark moon for daytime hunting or fishing but there is one thing that works for anything wild-be out hunting or fishing when sunrise and moonset coincide or are close to it.All wild things move then.Last time,a few weeks ago,I got a very fat 51 inch muskie within seconds of the magic moment. :mrgreen:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have seen where during a fool moon the day calling will be worse or might not be good during the normal times of day. For instance i have seen many times during the fool moon the coyotes really turn on between 10am and 2pm. I have seen where during a new moon or no moon whatever you like to call it the day time calling really turn on. I can only assume that it is because they are more successful during the night when they have the extra light to use. I haven't really payed much attention to the other phases due to the fact that i have never seen it a consistant or drastic change in animals habits.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
OldDude
coyotehunter

Post by OldDude »

Moon phases, barometric pressure, cold weather and may other factors ( some we don't understand yet ) have alot to do with hunting coyotes. I can tell you the very best time to hunt coyotes is during a new moon and at night. Most predators are nocturnal by nature and hunt more at night, even coyotes.
Hunting days, you well find all kinds of opinions about the best times. Early mornings and late afternoons are usually best, cool weather a light rain or snow can be good, right before and right after a storm.....But the wind always sucks lol.

PS, Don't believe everything you read in magazines.