triple

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

triple

Post by rhino »

Okay boys!! I need some advice from the experts. I got a tip from a farmer where some coyotes have been howling it up at night. I was familiar with the land so I knew exactly where to sit. Well when I got there I could see one coyote already on the field edge of sunflowers. I was thinking WOW :D this is going to be a good night. I did some distress calls and he wasn't very excited. Kept doing that for about 10 minutes but he just didn't want to come my way.

So I pulled out the howler. Boy did that get them going. Now I was hearing some chattering from another coyote still in the sunflowers. I think it was the big dog telling me to get the hell out. So I howled back for a bit and they were talking amongst themselves I suppose to make sure it wasn't one of them. I chattered back hoping the big dog would get even more mad and maybe come out farther. At this point I think it was probably a 400+ yard shot. After about 10 minutes I saw a third off to the left just sniffing around in the field. So there I sat looking at the big dog just laying down in the field looking in my direction and two others just walking around. luckily I was behind some weeds and a rock pile. I don't think he saw me but it definitely didn't want to come any closer. I bet this went on for a 1/2 hour or so. Finally it was getting dark and the mosquitoes were about ready to take me away so I called it a night.

I assume this has happened before to all of you. Is there any hope to get them to come in? I already have a strategy for next time but any advice would be appreciated.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: triple

Post by Dcoy »

Sounds exciting.
I'd get closer next time and shoot em. :D
LONG RANGE KILLER

Post by LONG RANGE KILLER »

Sounds like a good spot! My only question is why not put them down? I mean 400yards is not an easy shot, but is also well within reason. Ofcourse the long open field shot is what gets my blood to pumpin :wink: . But I'm sure you had your reasons for passing the shot and I respect you for it.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you were sure they were the ADULTS i would have tried some pup whines. Otherwise maybe just try getting in there in the morning.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

If an adult pair answers back agressively I would have thrown a few challenge howls at them if that isn't what you did. Otherwise what Prairie Ghost said pup whines or distress may have triggered them. Otherwise set up closer to the sunflowers next time if you can get in there undetected. This would probably work better in the early evening since they will probably be bedded down in there yet. In the morning they might still be out hunting and spot you on the way in.
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I went to the pup whines and the challenge howls with a challenge bark after nothing else worked. I think I can get closer and come in from a slightly different way. Or sight my gun in for 400 yds!! Not to fond of the long shots. :D Pretty exciting to say the least. Thanks for the comments.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

If they were all pups, I would just stay with the distress sounds and don't over play it. I don't howl much this time of year. Hormone levels are way down and they have food on there mind more than anything else right now. Always exceptions though. I had a pair come in and work the dogs in November once so never say never but odds are you will do better and less chance of a screw up if you just sneak in and do some distress sounds. Less is more. Give it 45 sec. to a minute and wait 5 minutes. Those pups are not always in a big hurry to run into some adult they do not know. Go easy on the howling.

Yep, you need to practice those 300, 350 and 400 yard shots. I have gongs set from 300 out to 625 yards right now and I do proactice at those distances. Not that I take a lot of 500 yard plus shots but I do feel alot more comfortable with a coyote that I need to get when he is just not wanting to come in that last 1/4 of a mile.

Ed Wimberly once said "It's 10% calling, 90% location and 500% shooting" or something like that, you get my point.
Coyotes Forever
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

thanks for the comments. Would this be a situation where staying longer would be better? I usually only stay 30-35 minutes at the longest. I wonder if eventually they would of came closer.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I sit on most stands at least 30 minutes but this time of year if you are covering a lot of ground you could get away with as little as 20 minutes. Hard to say if they would have come closer with more time or not. to many unknowns for me to make a guess. Did they see you leave?
Coyotes Forever
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

When I left I was kind of behind a hill. I don't think they saw me.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I have'nt even been out this year but soon... I always like to use the pups early in the year and as I've posted in the past I love the e-caller with fox in distrees and over ride it with my howler like I'm fighting with the fox! started useing this last year and called in most of my yotes with this combo... let us know
a proud member of the "IF" team