early season coyotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

early season coyotes

Post by rhino »

I have done 7 sets now since Sept 7th. Anyway the only place I have been seeing coyotes or having them respond is from sunflower fields. Last year I think there was a discussion on here about sunflower fields and how coyotes really like to be around them. Up in my area there are plenty of sunflower fields to hunt. We produce quite a bit of sunflowers up here. Anyone have a chance to call next to sunflowers? Up until they are harvested I am going to work the sunflower fields pretty hard.

Any thoughts??
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: early season coyotes

Post by Dcoy »

Some years ago I owned a piece of ground near Onida,SD.That area had quite a few sunflower fields and the coyotes sure used them there.Thats probably cause those Pierre boys on here had em scared to near death though. :D
Really few of those fields up here so can't really help ya but I'd hunt the edges hard if thats where you are getting action.Won't be long and they'll be gone.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Sunflower fields in my opinion is the worst thing on a coyotes pelt. If you shoot a coyote that came out of a sunflower field versus a corn field i bet you can tell a difference.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I believe there is some research out there the corrisponds coyotes Vs. sunflower fields. If I remember right their are more field mice in sunflower fields which in terms means easy meal for coyotes. If you are finding coyotes in sunflower fields I would continue to hunt those locations.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

coyotehunter once told me that coyotes love to eat sunflowers and full of mice, black birds (million of them),cover, shade (its been warm) and yea I'll be targeting flower fields when I start my calling for the year and during the Minot tourney, did see a coyote a few weeks back eating corn on the cob? :shock:

Rhino, are going to join us at the Minot tourney??
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Sunflower fields are great before and after harvest. There is a study that we put up here on coyotes and sunflower fields. Definetly call them hard they are a great hunting and bedding area for coyotes
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tbush wrote:I'll be targeting flower fields when I start my calling for the year and during the Minot tourney, did see a coyote a few weeks back eating corn on the cob?
Corn on the cob goes good with deer carcus! :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

Tbush,
I plan on coming this year to the Minot tourney. I am looking forward to it. I am not too far away 45 minutes. Nice and close to home.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lol

that is nice a close! introduce yourself, it will be good to put a face to a name
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Dcoy, where bouts did you have the land by Onida S.D. My Uncle has a lot of land just West of Onida. His name is Lyle Hunsley. Where are you located now.?
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi Jerry.My land was north and west of Onida.Head north toward Agar,cross the Okoboji dip,then turn left(west) at the top of the hill.Bought it from Porter Nuttall.Had a mile of CRP which I really miss this time of year.(pheasant season :D )Sold it to Jim Minder the Doc from Pierre who's family owned a bunch of adjoining land.Nice piece of land.World class pheasants(mile of CRP surrounded by sunflowers and other crops);great deer hunting and good coyote action.
My wife wanted hills and water so now we are in the NE up on the Coteau plateau(Glacial Lakes).
Good hunting!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Jery,
Just thought of another interesting thing about that land.There and nearby I shot a couple fox and saw quite a few more-actually saw them occ from there all the way north and east past Gettysburg to near Faulkton.I have a soft spot for them since grew up hunting them and have enjoyed doing that for over 50 yrs.They are having a tough go due to mange and coyotes so just quit hunting them there.On the other hand,they,unfortunately,are rare around here.
Deer there were pretty easy for a bowhunter-contrary to what most would think.The property had(has)great tree lines and that was great but hunting deer in grass on the ground with a bow is sweet.They 'trail' better in grass than in woods. :D Shot some nice deer there-nothing like some in the lumber yard office in Onida but nice ones.
For what its worth,the sections west of me and those along Okoboji draw were always good for coyotes-but I'm sure you,Randy and others out that way know that.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Dcoy, I know exactly where that crossing is. There is always coyotes in that area. I think the snowmobillers from Onida hit that area pretty hard. When my father-in-law was in the nursing home at Gettysburg we would go up there twice a week. We would always see coyote in the okobojii dip by the highway. What is your real name. I might know you.