multi- coyote

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

pahomegrown
coyotehunter

multi- coyote

Post by pahomegrown »

i just got off stand about 45 mins ago and i was standing on my porch letting the dogs out and atleast 6 diffrent coyotes started howling within 200 yds, it sounded like a family group but not shure there was one out the diffrent howls and yips i heard that sounded more like the wolves on discovery channel. now consequently it was where i was calling from earlier this evening :( next time im gonna wait alittle longer before i go out. but my question is i have a single shot so if i shoot one is it gonna be hard to get the rest, and since there was no litlle wounded rabbit there when the finnaly showed up after i left so they could scaveange it, will it be more diffuclt to get them to show up lets say monday? and does this count as one called in! :lol: just joking
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Re: multi- coyote

Post by pahomegrown »

what is a good second call? i have a ps olt t-20 fox,coyote call(rabbit distress) there are alot of calls to chose from so any opions would be appreciated, what is a ki-yi you guy keep talking about?
NVCoyoteHunter

Post by NVCoyoteHunter »

What is the Ki-Yi? Imagine if you kicked a coyote or any other dog and it let out a series of cries....yipe, yipe, yipe. That is a ki-yi
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

went out tonight and tried this jhonny stewar tape i have called grey fox pups in distress, it sounded like your kicking a dog, the coyotes kept howling but never showed up is there someting i should do before or after, like maybe do a howl sequence after the ki yi would that bring them in cause it seemed like once they found out it wasnt one of them they ignored it any help?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

how long are you on stand for? how long are your calling sequences?

If you are new to this I would stay away from the coyote vocalizations. A good tape that we sell is called "talking with coyotes" by Major
boddiker, great tape to get started on knowing and being able to make the sounds you need to get started in calling coyotes with vocalizations.

Sometimes when I have them out there barking at me and they will not come in, I will pack up my stuff and move closer. It is not unusual to have to make 2-3 stands to get a particular coyote and spend the morning on it.
Coyotes Forever
Cool_Hand

Post by Cool_Hand »

I once got four in about 20 seconds with the pump shotgun and a fawn bleat vocalization.

But around here coyotes relatively easy to call, last year I called in 119 and came away with 89. That's before I bought my .22-250.... those are all shotgun kills.
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

i go on stand for like an hour, but i go set up and just sit for 20 minutes before calling, i just follow the directions on the tape, those coyotes busted me last night anyway, so i have to figure some new tricks. i got the coyote pups distress tape, it works very well too. i was sitting inside a multiflora rose bush on a fence row, watching a field not paying attenion to the longgrass on my right and along with that the wind shifted they came up through the grass scared the daylights out of me and took off. i didnt even hear them comeing, i think i might start takeing a 44mag with me for future situations like that.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

pahomegrown wrote: i didnt even hear them comeing,

if you hear them they are too close!!!! Ive experienced that one 2 too many times.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

They should still be able to be called with a different sound and a different location. Don't worry it happens to the best
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

well im gonna try shooting them at night today, i got my portable spotlight with red lens yestrday, and i made my own ghillie suit, which took forever. plus im gonna pack my 12ga cause i guess they get closer at night from what this guy told me. also im goning with friend im gonna make him hold the light :lol:
OldDude
coyotehunter

Post by OldDude »

If the coyotes are that close and yepping, they are yepping at you, the jigs up, they know your game. You need to forget those coyotes for a time because they probably won't respond to your calling right away, howling for them maybe.
I have had alot of experience with multi coyotes throughout the southwest and even down into old Mexico. Shooting a single shot is no problem if the coyotes come in one or two at a time. Six at once and you're in trouble, you just got to take your best shot as does someone with an AR and hope for the best.
Shots don't seem to bother coyotes much unless you miss, they just keep coming in to a call. I've even killed em and had another one come in and sniff on his dead buddy, he died too. As smart as coyotes seem to be, they can also be dumb.
My hunting partner and I killed 9 coyotes on one stand down in old Mexico with one bullet at a time. Anybody that tells you an old bolt gun don't work for multibles has not been hunting coyotes that long.
Calling coyotes at night and killing them is a whole different game, one I've played for more then five decades. You can get lucky but chances are you won't, especially with the same coyotes your trying to call during the day. You'll probably hear alot more yepping.............Good luck
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

i went to a diffrent spot last night by my buddies about 10 miles away, he had some killer photos of some on his tree cam. didnt see any though. went tonite at another spot on a gas line, i couldnt see that well because there still to much ground cover so i didnt call so i could save that spot for later in the season when it snows. i did see a 10pt whitetail though feeding in the mowed strip. i will just keep trying :D
songdogsniper

Post by songdogsniper »

when multiple coyotes come in YOU CAN kill them all ...even if there is six if ur good at long shots and running shots ...practice both whenever you can. the best way to do it is to start whit the one farthest away...that way they will all take off but you can work your way back towords you starting with the farthest one. a good rule of thumb is to lead a running coyote by one length if hes running broadside at full tilt, otherwise 2.9 to 3.5 feet if hes quartering away. make yipping or bark-howl sounds between shots and they sometimes stop all together. there will also be alot of confusion for them and you will know exactly whats happening...use it to ur advantage. it works for me more often than not !!!!!