getting back in it

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mohunter
coyotehunter

getting back in it

Post by mohunter »

Hello everyone, Im new here and have decided to get back into calling coyotes. I havent been calling for about 4 or 5 years and I just tryed on my camo, I guess it has shrunk while sitting,lol. I know I couldnt have gotten fatter. Anyways I am going to get new camo and was considering a gillie suit. Has anyone used one? Would it be an over kill? Any input would be great. I also have a Remington 700 BDL 22-250 that shoots amazing, I was wanting to camo it up also but I dont want to paint it just to pretty and has alot of cenamental value to me,and all the tape I have ever used makes a heck of a mess when you decide to take it off. Does anyone have any sugestions? Thanks in advance.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: getting back in it

Post by Tbush »

Welcome :) The gillie suit looks cool,BUT my thouhgts are that when the wind blows or you move a bit the strings etc... will be moving and depends on the area your sitting in could be un-natural movement? and are they heavy?? I found this out in the bad lands deer hunting I saw another persons blind with all the stuff blowing in the slight wind and thought wow makes you look at it and notice it. As far as tape goes there is some good stuff nowdays that won't mess up your gun
a proud member of the "IF" team
wildcatCo

Post by wildcatCo »

Your gun will shoot just as good with paint on it as with tape. I finally painted mine this summer, it was hard to do at first but I like the way it looks, and the tape I used kept coming off.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I have seen some tape that stays on pretty good. It comes off pretty easy too. I think it is Camo Form. It only sticks to itself.
mohunter
coyotehunter

Post by mohunter »

Thanks for the advice.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'll add a positive thing for a ghillie suit. It is all I wear from spring through tell the snow flies, then I go white. There are good thing and bad things about ghillies.

The pros: They are probably the best concealment a person can have if you veg them up correctly. I've had coyotes into about 10 feet with mine on. They work if used correctly.
On cool mornings they keep you warm.

Cons
If you get one from cabellas or other commercial maker they are not ready to use out of the box, you need to put vegetation in them.
If you make your own, they take a lot of time, mine took me around 40 hours.
They are hot in the summer time, I tend to only call in the cooler parts of the day when the coyotes are running anyhow, so it's a moot point.
They can be heavy, but no more than a winter coat, unless you get wet and role in the mud.
They need to have a water based fire retardant on them. They're like a dry christmas tree.
The Jute fibers get everywhere, up your nose, in your eyes, in the action.
The strands get hung up in brush and barbed wire fencing.

I'd never go without mine, they are the cat's meow.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

find me.
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

another.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I think I can see you. but it sure looks like there is nothing at all. pretty concealed I guess.
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

about the gillies,
in the first pic you are almost at the bottom of the screen with your gun to the right of screen.
in the second one it is a little harder. again you could be at the bottom or sitting in front of the tree to the right of screen. never the less tho it is very concealing.
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

sorry in the 2nd pic you would be right up the middle right in the thick of all the trees there. it is good tho very good
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'll give you guys a couple of days to hear a few more answers, then i'll post another pic. I think I hijacked this post. Well maybe not it was a good question.
As far as your gun, paint it, you'll never regret it.

xdeano
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

!st one 1/4 of the way from the left mid screen and deep in the pic :? 2nd pic the second biggest tree from the left? This is like find waldo but were is deano :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I think this is where you stare at it long enough he will appear like magic :lol: Do these suits make scent go away to. I guess I have never tried to make myself disappear just try to play the wind right. You can maybe fool there eyes but still hard to fool there nose and thats what will kill ya. Just how I see it. Not picking I think it is neat you can disappear just wish the scent disappeared to.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

you guys are getting closer!!!

The sent of the burlap or Jute is very strong. So i'm guessing it might mask it a bit. I've done a lot of exercises with mine, from crawling through mud, rain, pastures with cow patties, horse crap. I've intentionally dragged it down a gravel road for a few miles to break the strands apart. I've barred it for a week at a time, this kills the smell, making it more neutral. Then when you get all done just hose it off. One thing that I do every year is get some punky wood or leaves and start a fire and smoke the whole suit, this really cuts the smell down. they don't associate the fire smell with humans, maybe they do, but it doesn't seem to affect them.

I've done things in this suit that i would never try with just regular camo. In a pinch i've called with the wind and have had dogs come in very close, as though I wasn't there. So yeah you can disappear for the most part.

xdeano