weather

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

weather

Post by Dcoy »

What a great Christmas!Hope everyone had a great one and that Santa stopped by with a goodie or two.On the other hand,there's the weatherman.Talk about a grinch!
"warning";"advisory";"blustery";"breezy";"blizzard";"fog";"snow";blowing snow";"whiteout";"drifting",you name it,that weatherman has buzz words that are starting to make me sick.Al Gore where are you,pick up line two please????
I know,I know,I live in the Dakotas but this year is just getting to be too much.I can take the cold,I actually like snow,but man this ongoing mix of everything gets old.What?Two good calling days so far?The coyote gods are powerful critters.
Merry Christmas weatherman. :(
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: weather

Post by Tbush »

Want some crackers to go with that :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: And think its only been Dec. :shock:
a proud member of the "IF" team
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

December has been a pretty bad month for me. I have been out only 3 times and got two. But the last 2 weeks have been so cold I am starting to wonder if we are going to be seeing polar bears anytime soon. -25 below is just too cold. I am thinking the coyotes are moving much either.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Cold is good. That's your best calling weather.

I think there has been more than 2 good days. I have gotten out a few times this month, and there were many days I was mad that I couldn't go, because I was busy with other things.

Another benefit of cold is it keeps the snowmobilers and other people at home, so you get the field to your self. :D
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Until the snow hardens and forms a crust on top in the area that levi and i called this weekend, good luck calling. This crap was knee deep with snow shoes and nut deep with out them. the amount of stands put in were less due to the time it took to get to them. I sure hope this season takes a turn for the better cause right now there hasn't been very many good calling days.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well guys the weather is what it is. No way to change it-it is just something you have to deal with.

Reference was made to a crust over the snow...then people will holler about that and wish we had fresh powder again so you could sneak into your stand more quietly. There's always something.

The way I see it...if you are out hunting...life can't be too bad.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

Hey this is my first year of hunting coyotes, i am just wondering with all the cold :shock: weather(in the below 0 teens with windchill what is the best approach to hunt coyotes are they even out and about or do they head for cover and what the weather out before they look for food. where is a good place to look at to find behavior info on coyotes. like where do they make there dens, when they are more likely to move into a new area. how far can one hear. what is the farthest that you (anybody) has ever called in a coyote. maybe most of you all know these things but i myself have never been exposed to this info before.
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

Sorta funny to read through.....had a landowner think I was crazy one day when I told her I'd be out to see if we couldn't dig to some fox. It was snowin' and blowin' and miserable....BUT....for what I do, it was damned near perfect. You're not going to typically see "charlie" out runnin' around in that crappy weather, either. He'll be tucked up nice in his den....right where the dogs can find him and hold him. That day we did get on something...thought my green bitch had her first fox to begin with...never did get it and we're thinking it was probably badger.
It's all about the huntin'
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Dcoy I need to take back my smart a#* remark about crackers and agree with you its nasty out side 4-6" more tonight and blowing like hell walked from the kennel to the house turned back and no tracks :( Now I don't mind walking in the snow but it sure limits were a guy can drive to and start walking from!!

I got this idea for the classic? WHEN I shoot all them coyote's I'm going to put it in a plastic bag nose to the bottom and then hook on the drag rope over its jaw like normal , I think it will pull easier what do you guys think :?:OR pull a sled then I can slide down those hills to get were i'm going faster :lol:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Terry,
I've cleared it for you.Just put the blocks in,take a pic with the block # showing,then cut off the ears,take another earless photo,skin it and bring it out.The leaders said that would be fine in your case.Honestly.Go for it!
I'm afraid the other teams will have to go one step further,they need to bring out the male jewels or the female unit as well.Still beats full load dragging though.
Just tell them at check in i okayed it. :D
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Yea if everbody at the classic doe's that it will work out better :D you make sure THEY all know will ya!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Done deal.You're all set,go for it!
There was some mention about you getting only the magazines from the DPMS rifles if you won but,hey,I know you're into it only for the exercise and fun anyway so no big deal I'm sure.
Good luck! :lol:
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

just got back a couple of hours ago went to a new location that i got permission to hunt on. it looks like a real good deal. boy it was blustering today. stayed close to the vacant buildings. used them as cover. never got to see any coyotes though. did see a amercian marten pull a red squirrel across the snow to his den or whatever they call their home/hideout. i enjoyed being out there but was it cold. i liked it. :mrgreen:
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Hunted Sunday and our morning started out @ -28 and the warmest we saw was 3 Deg. Seen 9 kilt 1 all we didn't spook responded REALY good. I had so much gear on I got hung up in a fence and almost needed help getting off.............

Any day hunting is a good day. Oh south of Almont is pretty much posted up TIGHT !!

Norm
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Yep been there done that :lol: the face plant in the snow with your nuts almost hung on the fence :shock: Its a bitch to have short legs ,I'm pretty good at going under :wink: