open to ideas

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

sdhunter6

open to ideas

Post by sdhunter6 »

I have been calling in many spots where coyotes are always heard at night and people have seen packs of 10 to 15 but i go to alot of these spots and i cant get anything to come in. I call in alot of dogs out west but only one here this whole season so im open to any ideas
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: open to ideas

Post by lyonch »

Dont frustrate yourself by not being able to call in any coyotes this season in your area!!!! I am hearing from a lot of good coyote hunters that this year is really spotty for calling. The weather is going to dictate a lot it as well. If there is snow to your nuts then good luck calling. First thing i would do i look at your approach to your stands. Can they see the truck when its parked, are you skylining yourself when you walk in on stand, is the snow too crunchy and the wind calm, Are you walking in too far and bumping them, are you not walking in far enough, are you on location??????? i could go on forever but i wouldn't get too caught up in it!! Remeber to keep it simple and have fun :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

So many possible factors you'll likely get only glittering generalities without more info.
Where in SoDak?Lots of roads?Pressure?Snow depth?Your experience and techniques?
If these type of factors aren't 'positive',you may be doing it right and still not getting action.
Good hunting!
sdhunter6

Post by sdhunter6 »

Dcoy wrote:So many possible factors you'll likely get only glittering generalities without more info.
Where in SoDak?Lots of roads?Pressure?Snow depth?Your experience and techniques?
If these type of factors aren't 'positive',you may be doing it right and still not getting action.
Good hunting!
Im hunting around huron there is alot of roads and the snow in some spot is ankle deep and other spots past your waist there isnt a whole lot of pressure where abouts in sd are you hunting
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Im in the NE.One result of having lots of snow and roads is little daylight movement period.That will likely change a bit over the next weeks as breeding starts.With roads,snowmobiles,etc you might try heavier cover(cattails);try remote pastures with fences(keep snomos out);and definitely keep in mind easy travel routes to you.For instance,if you can call heavier cover near easy traveling ice'(lakes or rivers)you should get some action.Particularly very early in the morning.
You may also be surprised by the number of callers near you-particularly night callers the last week.
Good hunting.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Some of the areas around Heron do get alot of pressure, you have a few cowboy truck hunters and a few snowmachines and there are also a few callers around youre area, includeing me from time to time. :mrgreen:
Try calling in some of the bigger sections with cover, plus along tree lines and ponds. Got to keep youre truck out of site.. Good luck...T.A.
sdhunter6

Post by sdhunter6 »

so i took your advise and called in some of the heaviest cattails along the river i could find. I called in 5 and got a nice double. They were using that river like an interstate.
Thank you for the advise.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Congrats!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great work thats what the site is here for!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
chadrip
coyotehunter

Post by chadrip »

I went out to SD for a week and hunted hard.Seen alot of dogs but didnt shoot one. But i found some new ground to hunt,got a new friend and had the time of my life. Thats what its all about.